INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Not a joke . . .

Enter here for humour and irreverence.
Dave B

Not a joke . . .

#1 Post by Dave B » April 10th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Moved to "favourite" humorous websites thread.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

Re: Not a joke . . .

#2 Post by Alan C. » November 3rd, 2011, 4:55 pm

Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Tetenterre

#3 Post by Tetenterre » November 3rd, 2011, 5:05 pm

Ah, classic misdirection. The three guys paid £30. They got £3 back, so they have effectively now paid £27 -- split between £25 for the room and £2 into the receptionist's pocket.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » November 3rd, 2011, 5:47 pm

Even your explanation did not help me, TT!

I just emptied my pennies jar and counted out three piles of ten.

Then I took one away from each pile (the refund).

Then I took two away (the "remainder)

Guess what, I had 25p left! It did all balance out

But I admit that I cannot work out why from the written problem. I am sure there is some person who can prove it with a formula but I doubt I could work that out either!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#5 Post by Tetenterre » November 3rd, 2011, 6:14 pm

The misdirection is the line "he decided to give one dollar back to each of them (meaning they each put $9 into the room) and pocket the remaining $2". We are invited to add the $2 to what they paid. Since they have paid only $27, the receptionist's stolen $2 cannot be added to it. Think: Where does the $2 come from? -- it wasn't magicked into existence; it was, in fact, effectively taken from the $27, leaving the $25 that the room costs.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » November 3rd, 2011, 6:16 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Ah, classic misdirection. The three guys paid £30. They got £3 back, so they have effectively now paid £27 -- split between £25 for the room and £2 into the receptionist's pocket.
Thanks Tt I get it now.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

keithprosser2

#7 Post by keithprosser2 » November 4th, 2011, 3:07 pm

Of course with the old pounds shillings and pence you wouldn't get such rubbish because you could divide by 3. 1/3 of 1 pound was 6s 8d. You must have noticed that most of what is currently wrong with the world happened after decimalisation? Decimalisation was a huge mistake which we are paying for now in the form of social and moral collapse like the recent London riots and 9-11.

Tetenterre

#8 Post by Tetenterre » November 4th, 2011, 6:39 pm

keithprosser2 wrote: Decimalisation was a huge mistake ...
You blame decimalisation, but I reckon the root cause was emerging from the primaeval slime.....
Steve

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » April 25th, 2012, 6:15 pm

But a happening.

Buzzz (entry phone)

"Hello."

"Police here."

[What!?] "OK, on my way down."

[Two quite attractive female police persons. They look at me a bit strange then the one with the clipboard checks the number.]

"Sorry, wrong number, incident is at number NN." [NN has a single mum in it, I do not look like a single mum.]

"So you're not going to cuff me then?" [With slight touch of disappointment added for mischief.]

"Have you done anything wrong?"

[Place expression of intense concentration on face.] "Nothing I can think of at the moment."

"Well, if you do think of anything give us a call and I'll come back for you."

I should be so lucky! :laughter:
Me, 2015

thundril

#10 Post by thundril » April 25th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Could be one helluva way to go, Dave!

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » June 11th, 2013, 1:15 pm

. . . but still struck me as funny.

Swedish male train drivers, getting hot and bothered in their cabs, started wearing shorts. These were then banned so the drivers put on skirts instead. They could not ban these due to the sex equality laws.

Ho, ho!
Me, 2015