INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Well I Never!

Enter here for humour and irreverence.
stevenw888

Well I Never!

#1 Post by stevenw888 » May 21st, 2012, 1:44 pm

How about a new thread devoted to informing us of those little trivial bits of information that we never even knew about before the internet existed...

Here goes...

When George Lucas was mixing the American Graffiti soundtrack, he numbered the reels of film starting with an R and numbered the dialog starting with a D. Sound designer Walter Murch asked George for Reel 2, Dialog 2 by saying "R2D2". George liked the way that sounded so much he integrated that into another project he was working on.
---------------------------

It is possible to lead a cow upstairs but not downstairs.

--------------------
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

stevenw888

Re: Well I Never!

#2 Post by stevenw888 » May 21st, 2012, 2:05 pm

Jesse James once sought shelter at a lonely farmhouse. The widow there apologized for her poor hospitality. She said she had very little money and despaired of paying the debt collector, who was coming imminently to demand $1,400.

James gave her $1,400 and told her to get a receipt. Then he hid outside and watched the road.

The debt collector arrived, looking grim, and entered the house. A few minutes later he emerged, looking pleased.

James accosted him, took back the $1,400, and rode off.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Boxertwin

#3 Post by Boxertwin » May 21st, 2012, 10:09 pm

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, and purple.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"

Charles Dickens

stevenw888

#4 Post by stevenw888 » May 22nd, 2012, 9:43 am

Boxertwin, you are my soul brother! Despite the remaining apathy here, I will continue with this thread.

The city of Portland in Oregon was named after a coin toss in 1844. Heads for Portland and tails for Boston.

The elephant is the only animal in the world with 4 knees.

Nick

#5 Post by Nick » May 22nd, 2012, 11:52 am

stevenw888 wrote:Boxertwin, you are my soul brother! Despite the remaining apathy here, I will continue with this thread.
I'll be along, shortly.
The city of Portland in Oregon was named after a coin toss in 1844. Heads for Portland and tails for Boston.
Ooooo!
I've heard that too, but apparently it's wrong. Not because it does not look as if the elephants has 4 knees, but that, technically, in evolutionary terms, they are not knees. I can't remember quite what they are, (maybe the elephant is walking on it knuckles or something), but that would explain the apparent mystery of why the elephant has 4 knees- it doesn't. :D

ETA: I think they might in fact be elbows..... I'm trying to find out. :)

stevenw888

#6 Post by stevenw888 » May 22nd, 2012, 1:06 pm

Nick, I never claimed that any of my "Well I Never" statements would be 100% accurate and error free!
However I will endeavour to research future postings more thoroughly before posting (bearing in mind the coments in The Geek Manifesto)!

"Typhlobasia" is the practice of closing one's eyes when kissing.

stevenw888

#7 Post by stevenw888 » May 22nd, 2012, 1:14 pm

In Monza, Italy, King Umberto I, went to a small restaurant for dinner, accompanied by his aide-de-camp, General Emilio Ponzia- Vaglia. When the owner took King Umberto’s order, the King noticed that he and the restaurant owner were virtual doubles, in face and in build. Both men began discussing the striking resemblances between each other and found many more similarities.

1. Both men were born on the same day, of the same year, (March 14th, 1844).
2. Both men had been born in the same town.
3. Both men married a woman with same name, Margherita.
4. The restauranteur opened his restaurant on the same day that King Umberto was crowned King of Italy.
5. On the 29th July 1900, King Umberto was informed that the restauranteur had died that day in a mysterious shooting accident, and as he expressed his regret, he was then assassinated by an anarchist in the crowd.

Alan C.

#8 Post by Alan C. » May 22nd, 2012, 6:16 pm

I don't know about that but I believe it's the only animal that can't jump.

Also I believe the Camel is the only animal that can't swim.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Nick

#9 Post by Nick » May 22nd, 2012, 8:45 pm

Re: elephants. Not elbows but wrists.

Thanks to Paolo's "ask a biologist" website! :D

Thus! :D

Alan C.

#10 Post by Alan C. » May 22nd, 2012, 9:15 pm

Well a quick look at that skeleton would suggest to me, knees on the hind legs, elbows on the front.
Have I got that right?

I wonder where Paolo went? Elephants graveyard :wink:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » May 22nd, 2012, 9:44 pm

Alan C. wrote:Well a quick look at that skeleton would suggest to me, knees on the hind legs, elbows on the front.
Have I got that right?

I wonder where Paolo went? Elephants graveyard :wink:
The ends of the front legs, the bits that bend back as a knee would, look more like ankles or wrists to me. But yes, an elbow above that. Can't find a labelled image of an elephant skele but the basic structure is similar to a dog's, and the labelling of that uses the "arm" bone names for the front legs. Thus the forward bending joint is indeed the elbow.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » May 22nd, 2012, 10:53 pm

Dave B wrote:The ends of the front legs, the bits that bend back as a knee would, look more like ankles or wrists to me. But yes, an elbow above that. Can't find a labelled image of an elephant skele...
See Nick's link, above.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#13 Post by getreal » May 22nd, 2012, 11:03 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a rhyme for purple. I remember Steven Fry mentioning this on QI.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Nick

#14 Post by Nick » May 22nd, 2012, 11:16 pm

getreal wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a rhyme for purple. I remember Steven Fry mentioning this on QI.
Maybe, getreal, but only when drowning.....

Unless anyone knows otherwise.... :)

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » May 22nd, 2012, 11:46 pm

getreal wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a rhyme for purple. I remember Steven Fry mentioning this on QI.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Boxertwin

#16 Post by Boxertwin » May 22nd, 2012, 11:48 pm

Camel's milk does not curdle.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"

Charles Dickens

Alan H

#17 Post by Alan H » May 22nd, 2012, 11:51 pm

And orange:

Alan Henness

jaywhat

#18 Post by jaywhat » May 23rd, 2012, 5:43 am

Boxertwin wrote:No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, and purple.
Well I for one would not expect a word to rhyme with all those. :smile:

stevenw888

#19 Post by stevenw888 » May 23rd, 2012, 9:48 am

Thanks guys, that's all very interesting, but lets not lose sight of the "plot" here...!

The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.
-----------------------
The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor who had red eyes. He was an albino.
-----------------------
Leonardo da Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time.

stevenw888

#20 Post by stevenw888 » May 23rd, 2012, 2:01 pm

William Marston, who invented the comic book character Wonder Woman, also discovered the systolic blood pressure test which led to the invention of the lie-detector.