INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Fun videos

Enter here for humour and irreverence.
Sel

Re: Fun videos

#821 Post by Sel » April 25th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Now some folks had a lot of time on their hands. Very amusing.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#822 Post by Dave B » April 25th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Sel wrote:Now some folks had a lot of time on their hands. Very amusing.
Aw, come on sel :D It's through that kind of play the a whole lot of technology gets developed!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Sel

#823 Post by Sel » April 25th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Dave. I know. I know. I was married to a geek. He owned a broadcasting crystal and from time to time you would see him headed out for a walk with a wee radio...to listen to his station. As University students, we once wired an MG with a speaker and spoke to anyone who passed it from our hiding spot down the street. Joe spent all his spare hours tinkering with his many hobbies. After he died, I had to clear out 5000 lbs of electronics and computer equipment. Among the mess - the control panel to an IBM360.

I should post his lecture on Atomic Structures and Isotopes. It is a poem written in iambic tetrameter and has about 70 stanzas and rhyming: aabb. I have found 8 versions of it - rewrites as the science was evolving. He presented it as a general lecture to his high school physics students once every three years.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#824 Post by Dave B » April 26th, 2014, 9:05 am

Sounds like Joe was my kind of man!

What is a "broadcasting crystal"? And please do post or publish his poem.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Sel

#825 Post by Sel » April 26th, 2014, 11:40 am

simply - a crystal used to transmit a radio signal on a given frequency. Here is a quick lesson as I am no expert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

I have the poem in Word and pdf files. I will check it out for accuracy. I had to scan it and my old Word '97 made quite a mess of it. Each time I work with it, I find more spacing and line placement errors. Proof-reading is not my forte. Then I will upload the file!

Dave B

#826 Post by Dave B » April 26th, 2014, 11:59 am

Sel wrote:simply - a crystal used to transmit a radio signal on a given frequency. Here is a quick lesson as I am no expert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator
Ah! I thought you might mean something like that, or that it was a colloquial term (a Canadianism!) for a transmitter. You need a few more bits added to the oscillator. I have a digital radio as my main one with old FM radios in the bathroom (battery), attic and kitchen (actually a cheap clock radio.) The main job has a little FM transmitter - designed for plugging into the earphone socket of your iPad, MP3 Player, tablet or whatever in the car to send the signal to the car radio (lots available on Amazon). So whatever channel the main radio is tuned to repeats in every room in the flat via the old FM jobs! Have not tried to see if it actually gets out to the car yet.

Not sure about the legality but it is a weak signal at the top end of the VHF band where there are currently no UK stations. Oh, if you use one in the home you need a 12V plug in power supply as well, the thing normally runs on batteries, but not for long when it is on over 12 hours a day!

I know what you mean about proof reading! I am OK doing for others but cannot do my own stuff.
Me, 2015

Sel

#827 Post by Sel » April 26th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Dave, it is my understanding that one is not supposed to own a crystal capable of transmitting an AM signal. I am pretty sure it was AM not FM. When my friend helped me clean out the junk I recall him asking "What is he doing with a transmitting crystal?" That and many other similar questions.

Alan H

#828 Post by Alan H » April 29th, 2014, 11:11 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#829 Post by Alan H » May 21st, 2014, 11:16 pm

I bet you can't watch this without being just a little bit happier at the end than you were at the beginning!

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#830 Post by Dave B » May 22nd, 2014, 9:06 am

Well . . . I enjoyed it but not sure if "happier" is appropriate (might be too tired at the moment - did not have a good night)
Me, 2015

Alan H

#831 Post by Alan H » June 5th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#832 Post by Alan H » June 18th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Alan Henness

Dave B

#833 Post by Dave B » June 18th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Very well done - one cannot trust any kind of media these days.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#834 Post by Alan H » July 4th, 2014, 1:25 pm

The aircraft carrier that has no aircraft (they won't arrive for another four years...and they couldn't have a flypast of the existing ones 'cos they've just been grounded)...built all over the UK in places like Birkenhead...No! It was Blackpool!

Launched today from Rosyth... you know where that is, don't you? It's a bit west of Dundee...

Watch the official video from the MOD and see if you can spot any other errors:

I suggested to them on Twitter that they employ a cartographer...
Alan Henness

Fia

#835 Post by Fia » July 4th, 2014, 11:02 pm

I gather a posh woman in a frock broke a bottle of average whisky on it today. That makes it OK then :shrug:

Alan H

#836 Post by Alan H » July 5th, 2014, 12:43 am

Fia wrote:I gather a posh woman in a frock broke a bottle of average whisky on it today. That makes it OK then :shrug:
It was difficult to understand her broad accent, but I think she invoked her god to wish every success to the crew in killing people.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#837 Post by Alan H » July 5th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Alan Henness

Fia

#838 Post by Fia » July 5th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Alan H wrote:It was difficult to understand her broad accent, but I think she invoked her god to wish every success to the crew in killing people.
:hilarity: There'd be more of those if it wasn't all so sadly true.

How could one eat such pretty candyfloss?

Alan H

#839 Post by Alan H » July 21st, 2014, 10:01 am

Alan Henness

Alan H

#840 Post by Alan H » August 1st, 2014, 4:23 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#841 Post by Alan H » August 25th, 2014, 1:51 pm

For fans of Pingu and John Carpenter everywhere: Pingu's "The Thing"
Alan Henness