INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Edinburgh Fringe, Best Jokes

Enter here for humour and irreverence.
Alan C.

Re: Edinburgh Fringe, Best Jokes

#21 Post by Alan C. » August 23rd, 2013, 2:49 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

etoile
Just catching up on this thread, (know nothing of the 'Hitch debate),
Christopher Hitchens: Why Women Still Aren't Funny
5 minute video.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

etoile

#22 Post by etoile » August 23rd, 2013, 3:47 pm

Alan C. wrote:
etoile
Just catching up on this thread, (know nothing of the 'Hitch debate),
Christopher Hitchens: Why Women Still Aren't Funny
5 minute video.
Thanks for that....I think? I knew he was tiresomely aggressive and never paid him much attention and now I'm even more glad I didn't.
Clearly his mind was as narrow as his vocabulary; excessive use of 'dear' and 'bull dyke', by that I mean more than nought times.
It'll have been said a million times since that interview but geez, defining all women's socially evolved behaviour only in terms of their interactions and relevance to men is unimaginative at best. He really couldn't conceive of women wanting to make each other laugh and the social benefits evolving from that? Shame. It's the same as girls now still being called tom-boys for climbing trees and getting muddy; all an attempt to supress natural traits.

animist

#23 Post by animist » August 23rd, 2013, 11:37 pm

Nick wrote:
animist wrote: I think Nick is, like Hitch, talking up his sexist arse,
You're too kind.... :wink:
any time, but good on you for being good-humoured, as ever, whatever gets thrown your way :D
Nick wrote:
animist wrote: and I have known (and suffered from the wit of) many funny women. Nick, mebbe your comment about male exhibitionism destroys your own argument, since men, more than women, probably still have to prove themselves by, and preferably get paid for, being "funny".
I think I'd agree with that, animist, so I'm not sure why it destroys anything I've said (which is an opinion, not an argument). :shrug:
well, opinion, argument, belief - all much the same on something essentially subjective. What I was trying to say is that maybe men, for whatever reason, make more of an effort to be funny than do women - the cliché is of the man trying to impress his intended girlfriend via his wit, whereas if she is funny herself that is kind of competing with him and so unwelcome to him. Being funny is in fact often subversive in some way, and women used not to be encouraged to be subversive, let alone to make a living from being so. Anyway, do you mean that you find the media comediennes less funny than their male counterparts, or do you actually find the women of your own acquaintance less humorous than the men? Are they more serious or just failures at being funny?

Fia

#24 Post by Fia » August 24th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Well blow me down with a feather!

Look who won the Fringe Comedy Awards...
Spoiler:
Feminist comedian Bridget Christie