INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Organ donation and end of life choices

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.

Assisted dying should be available for all

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 16

jaywhat

Organ donation and end of life choices

#1 Post by jaywhat » July 6th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Someone mentioned carrying a donor card so here are a few contact points that are or may be relevant to you in your life. Carrying the card is a great start, but to be a registered organ donor you need to join the NHS Organ Donor Register.
All you need to know is at

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk

Another site you may choose to look at is

http://www.dignityindying.org.uk

As well as info about how to pressure for having some choice at the end of your life there is also info about so-called Living Wills or Advance Directives.

Cheers, and may your end be happy.

Alan C.

#2 Post by Alan C. » July 6th, 2007, 2:34 pm

I'm quite happy to have any of my bits that I haven't worn out recycled.
I was involved in a discussion on another forum about donating blood, it was started by an ex JW who wanted everybody on the forum to pledge to give blood, his intention was to piss off the JWs.
Mary and myself gave blood twice a year from we were 18 (got the gold lapel badges) but for some unknown reason there is no blood transfusion service here, so we haven't been able to donate for the past 7 years. :-(
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

scogirl

#3 Post by scogirl » July 6th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Hmmmm. I opted for the 'yes' vote above.

However. I used to think I was completely pro choice when it came to assisted dying. My Mum was a nurse (working with the elderly) for well over 20 years and she always maintained there was a difference between prolonging someone's life & prolonging their death.

I watched my Grandpa die of lung cancer & it was awful. If I had been able to help him die, I would have.

However, my Mum died last year after a long & traumatic battle with ovarian cancer. We finally found out how ill she was just 3 weeks before her death & on the instructions of the Oncology Counsellor at the Hospital, I had a heart to heart with my Mum and acknowledged what was happening & that I knew how ill she was.

One of the most haunting moments of that time was when we discussed her not having anymore treatment, she said "as long as you don't think I'm giving up".

I said "No, I think you've had enough".

The thing is, in all honesty if there had been a switch I could have flicked to end her life in those 3 weeks, I don't know if I would have done it.

Those 3 weeks with her are the most precious moments of my life.

From a totally honest (and selfish!) point of view, I would not have given up those last few weeks. She remained lucid a lot of the time & we talked about a number of things & 'cleared the air' on a lot of things.

So while I agree with assisted dying in principle and do not have any moral objections, from a completely 'human' point of view I don't feel comfortable with it.

jaywhat

#4 Post by jaywhat » July 6th, 2007, 5:11 pm

I do not know how 'comfortable I feel' about the decision for other people. I know how comfortable I feel for ME. If I decide I want to die, I expect to be allowed to and assisted.

jaywhat

#5 Post by jaywhat » July 6th, 2007, 5:16 pm

As for organ donation, there is a terrible shortage because, although some people have some sort of religious objection to it, most do not give it a thought until it hits them personally. Shouting from the rooftops is all I am capable of.
None of your body parts are of any use to you when you dead. It is wrong to have them buried or burned.

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » July 6th, 2007, 5:30 pm

jaywhat.
None of your body parts are of any use to you when you dead. It is wrong to have them buried or burned.
I agree completely. I try to recycle everything.

verte

#7 Post by verte » July 8th, 2007, 4:11 am

Alan C. wrote:I agree completely. I try to recycle everything.
Same here. I am donating whatever will be of use.

Master Taran

#8 Post by Master Taran » July 8th, 2007, 5:29 am

What I have can't be used after I'm gone.

Goldie

#9 Post by Goldie » July 9th, 2007, 8:15 pm

Considering my mother was in a brain dead, comatose state for 9 long years, during the very "fundy" Regan administration.... I feel very strongly re: this issue. I am all for assisted death..and of COURSE organ donation. Here in the US, it is on your drivers license...but I think it is STILL important to let your loved-ones know your wishes.
I saw a wino eating grapes. I said,"Dude, you have to wait." Mitch Hedberg

Alan C.

#10 Post by Alan C. » July 9th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Master Taran.
What I have can't be used after I'm gone.
Would you like to explain?