INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

The Natural World

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Gottard

Re: The Natural World

#361 Post by Gottard » February 24th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Fia wrote:"Haven't we been in the frozen north long enough to regrow it? Perhaps it's some attempt at a warming mechanism that my body seems to want a beard?"
Fia, this can be listed among the rare instances of "positive women discrimination" :smile:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Dave B

#362 Post by Dave B » February 24th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Fia, see if you can find out which creature is the pollinator. Many plants seem to either mimic some sort of sexual characteristic or smell like food - the smell of the Rafflesia flower is vomit inducingly like that of the most foul rotting carcase to attract flies to land and lay eggs on it, picking up the pollen in the process. It has to be more rotten smelling than any possible actual carcase in order to win the contest.

I often wonder why certain critters behave in ways that do not seem sensible or logical, but when an expert explains their theory of it it is quite evident!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Marian

#363 Post by Marian » February 25th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Fia wrote:That one was taken in one of the fabby glasshouses at Edinburgh Botanical gardens. A must visit if anyone's in Edinburgh and never been...
I thought I recognized that shot! :) I second Fia's statement about visiting. Don't miss it. We had great fun.
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#364 Post by Alan H » February 27th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

seyorni

#365 Post by seyorni » February 28th, 2011, 9:16 am

WTF!
Why are those geese jogging down the street?
That's just bizarre.

Alan H

#366 Post by Alan H » February 28th, 2011, 11:09 am

seyorni wrote:Why are those geese jogging down the street?
Because the park was closed? :D
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#367 Post by Maria Mac » April 11th, 2011, 7:52 pm

It's high time this thread was bumped and who better to do it than Iggy. It was 11 am and I was lying on the bed enjoying my post-breakfast siesta at our Key West guesthouse, when I saw him climb down the branch on the tree growing outside. I reckoned he was about three feet long.

They're invasive pests, apparently, because they eat plants that are important food sources for other wildlife. Cute though.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#368 Post by Maria Mac » April 11th, 2011, 7:55 pm

The gorgeous Key West sunset, enhanced by a pretty boat.

Alan H

#369 Post by Alan H » April 11th, 2011, 10:28 pm

It's a ship, methinks! (But still pretty!) :wink:
Alan Henness

Dave B

#370 Post by Dave B » April 12th, 2011, 9:12 am

Alan H wrote:It's a ship, methinks! (But still pretty!) :wink:
When does a boat become a ship then, Alan? :D
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#371 Post by Alan H » April 12th, 2011, 2:27 pm

With a few exceptions (narrow boat, etc), I was always told a boat is a vessel that can be stowed aboard a ship.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#372 Post by Dave B » April 12th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Alan H wrote:With a few exceptions (narrow boat, etc), I was always told a boat is a vessel that can be stowed aboard a ship.
Hmmm, good as any other definition methinks. Did a quick shufti and one would have to add "submarine" to the list of types of boat it seems. Nuclear subs are bloody big boats then!
Me, 2015

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#373 Post by Maria Mac » April 13th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Yeah, a submarine is a boat. Remember the movie - das boot?

Don't you just love my iguana? Anybody?

Dave B

#374 Post by Dave B » April 13th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Your iguana is luverly Maria!

[Mainly because it is a long way away, I tried to recapture a small escaped one once - they use their tails, in defence, like a whip. Hurts! :sad: ]
Me, 2015

Dave B

#375 Post by Dave B » April 13th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Caught a bit of a programme on the Beeb this eve about the after effects of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Seems that some of the species have increased by 100 - 200%. Did not get enough to hear why this might have been, possibly simply not much fishing going on for a few months.

However it seems some of the local fishermen are experiencing a bit of a bonanza! As are the sports fishermen, about the biggest growth has been in the number of sharks.

I seem to remember that the after effects of the Exxon Valdez spill were nothing like as bad as the experts predicted. Still, better that we did not have to rely on such nasty stuff. Another expert, in another prog, hinted that a minute fraction of the total sum invested in the development of the internal combustion engine would cure that problem child. But then, that investment was over a century or so.
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#376 Post by jaywhat » April 14th, 2011, 8:36 am

Athena wrote:Yeah, a submarine is a boat. Remember the movie - das boot?

Yes Maria, I loved the pictures which are yours - but the iguana, surely not :smile:

Dave B

#377 Post by Dave B » April 14th, 2011, 9:23 am

Dave B wrote:Caught a bit of a programme on the Beeb this eve about the after effects of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Seems that some of the species have increased by 100 - 200%. Did not get enough to hear why this might have been, possibly simply not much fishing going on for a few months.

However it seems some of the local fishermen are experiencing a bit of a bonanza! As are the sports fishermen, about the biggest growth has been in the number of sharks.
And then you hear another prog that says the mussel beds are still dead.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#378 Post by Alan H » April 14th, 2011, 1:59 pm

jaywhat wrote:
Athena wrote:Yeah, a submarine is a boat. Remember the movie - das boot?

Yes Maria, I loved the pictures which are yours - but the iguana, surely not :smile:
Are you doubting my darling wife? How dare you! [-X
Alan Henness

Gottard

#379 Post by Gottard » April 14th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Athena wrote:Don't you just love my iguana? Anybody?
Yes, congrats on the smart photos .....the iguana looks like saying "don't try to catch me and take me to the old world or you will get a sound whip from me to take with you!"
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Alan C.

#380 Post by Alan C. » June 15th, 2011, 5:34 pm

I would appreciate if somebody South could get a photo of the Lunar eclipse tonight and post it, we've got blanket cloud up here so we wont see it.
It should be around 21.30 in the South of England and around 22.00 in Scotland.

Cheers. :)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#381 Post by Alan H » June 15th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Alan Henness