INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Pill

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

The Pill

#1 Post by gregory » August 23rd, 2008, 11:20 am

this may not be the right topic for this part of the forum so please move it if you think fit. However we do discuss lots of things on the Veggie forum so I put it here

Apparently the Pill has an interesting side effect in that when on the pill one fancies a person who smells like you but not on the pill one fancies someone who smells difffernt. Makes you think how the Relate (Marriage Guidance) people will cope with this.

Doesn't the word vegetarian mean life?
There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover

LilacHamster

Re: The Pill

#2 Post by LilacHamster » August 23rd, 2008, 1:52 pm

I think I heard about that somewhere too, about the pill interfering with sense of smell. It's probably more of a discussion for one of the science bits of the forum.

Most pills and indeed most medicines in pill/tablet form do contain some animal products, lactose is a common filler which is probably OK for most vegetarians but not vegans.

Most vegetarians seem to think medicines other than gelatine capsules are vegetarian, but there is more to it than that, there is often magnesium stearate in there and that can be animal derived.
Even homeopathy uses lactose so is generally not vegan, although it is possible to get liquid forms of it without any animal products.

Here is an interesting link which discusses the derivation of the word vegetarian.

http://www.ivu.org/congress/wvc57/souvenir/brandt.html

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#3 Post by gregory » August 30th, 2008, 11:23 am

I am not sure what we are going to do about the above. Its either medication or death with me at the moment.

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » August 30th, 2008, 6:59 pm

LilacHamster wrote:Even homeopathy uses lactose so is generally not vegan, although it is possible to get liquid forms of it without any animal products.
Yes, I've got some of the liquid stuff [---][/---] it comes out of my taps... :D
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » August 30th, 2008, 7:19 pm

:pointlaugh:
gregory
Its either medication or death with me at the moment.
To refuse life saving medication because it may contain a minuscule amount of an animal product, would put you on a par with the JWs who die rather than have blood products, not very sensible in my opinion.................But that's just me :)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

jaywhat

#6 Post by jaywhat » August 31st, 2008, 6:43 am

I presume, by 'the Pill' we are referring to the contraceptive pill.
I remember, some 50 years ago, my mother telling me that one of my teenage sisters was prescribed 'the Pill' because she was having menstrual difficulties. As a cynical 20 year old I just smiled.

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#7 Post by gregory » September 6th, 2008, 11:23 am

Its alright Alan C I am not going to stop taking my medication.

How does lactose come out of the tap? Is it that tap water contains mineral deposits or something. Isnnn't lactose the sugar which comes from milk. I suppose it oculd be not lactose but calcium which is made into pills and that can be mined I think it comes from dead bones?

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#8 Post by gregory » September 6th, 2008, 11:27 am

Yes its a laugh but the pill is used for menustration regulation too.

Chineapple punk

#9 Post by Chineapple punk » September 7th, 2008, 1:44 pm

jaywhat said:
I remember, some 50 years ago, my mother telling me that one of my teenage sisters was prescribed 'the Pill' because she was having menstrual difficulties. As a cynical 20 year old I just smiled.
Thing is, that probably was the real reason for your sis being prescribed the pill. Same thing happened to me. I am one of those lucky ladies (cue self pity) who goes through a very unpleasant time every month if not on the pill. Get very anaemic and lethargic, and basically feel as if I have been hit by a bus. Not to sure about the smell thing though.
Give quiche a chance.

jaywhat

#10 Post by jaywhat » September 7th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Thanks for that Chi p. Yes I knew that at the time, but I still smiled - to myself, at least.