INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

3-D Optical Illusions

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Re: 3-D Optical Illusions

#41 Post by Alan H » June 14th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I deleted the right one and pasted a copy of the left one to the right [---][/---] they are both identical:
Rail illusion.png
Rail illusion.png (112.93 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
I still very clearly see the illusion of both sets of rails going off in different directions.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#42 Post by Dave B » June 14th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Now that is weird, Alan, now it does seem that the right hand rails angle slightly more to the right! Not a gross effect.

I have clipped and copied the images, will look at them in mirror image - that should simply reverse the effect. Then I will butt the two halves together and separate them further apart.

I do wonder what effect the angle of one contributes to the reference the brain takes - sort of "rotates" the other image. Is it the right affecting the left or the left affecting the right? Or both affecting each other?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#43 Post by Dave B » June 14th, 2010, 7:44 pm

The further the separation of the images the less the effect for me.

Using three, close together, images gives me the impressions they get thinner and sharper, and rotate clockwise very slightly, from left to right. Flipping that image horizontally reverses that effect. This suggests that it is a "reference" effect to me, dunno the technical stuff.

I don't want to stick these on my website (just too much hassle) so cannot show the variations here.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#44 Post by Alan H » June 17th, 2010, 12:14 am

See this TED talk by Michael Shermer at 12 minutes 15 seconds in: The pattern behind self-deception
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

philbo

#45 Post by philbo » June 17th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Alan H wrote:Ah!

As someone who can very clearly see the tracks going off in different directions, I find it difficult to understand how anyone can't see it! I assume this is an extrapolation of everyday experience: I'm sure we all see the same thing 99.9999% of the time!
I didn't see the tracks going off in different directions until after reading that was what you were "supposed" to be seeing. They do look different when concentrating on the top half of the picture, but looking at the bottom half, they come out as pretty much the same. At least, that's what it's like for me.

Alan H

#46 Post by Alan H » June 15th, 2011, 11:48 pm

Alan Henness

getreal

#47 Post by getreal » June 16th, 2011, 12:07 am

Spooky!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#48 Post by Dave B » June 16th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Very clever!
Me, 2015

Alan H

#49 Post by Alan H » February 14th, 2012, 6:33 pm

It's just a car...

Alan Henness

Compassionist

#50 Post by Compassionist » February 14th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Alan H wrote:It's just a car...

:love:

Alan H

#51 Post by Alan H » February 15th, 2012, 12:04 am

:laughter:
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#52 Post by Alan C. » February 15th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#53 Post by Dave B » February 15th, 2012, 8:26 pm

I've deleted this image as it appears to come from a site with malware. The image itself was OK, but I don't want anyone visiting that site!

Alan H
Me, 2015

robcurry

#54 Post by robcurry » March 20th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Alan H wrote:Not 3-D, but interesting:

The 'green' and the 'blue' are, in fact, the same colour!
Wow! Had to look at this one more closely, because it was hard to believe. That is astonishing, but then the brain is where we process visual information, after all--so I really enjoy trying to understand how our perception works.

Seems to me that the different perceptions are due to contrast.

Alan H

#55 Post by Alan H » March 23rd, 2012, 3:23 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#56 Post by Alan H » May 21st, 2012, 11:39 pm

Alan Henness

Fia

#57 Post by Fia » May 21st, 2012, 11:46 pm

That's just weird, Alan... I had to watch again... yup, still weird...

Alan H

#58 Post by Alan H » May 22nd, 2012, 12:31 am

I assume your brain makes a composite image of the two faces because it's used to doing that - when faced [sic] with different faces in each eye, it mangles them together!
Alan Henness

jaywhat

#59 Post by jaywhat » May 22nd, 2012, 5:30 am

Doesn't work, I guess one needs two equal eyes.

Dave B

#60 Post by Dave B » May 22nd, 2012, 9:55 am

Well, jaywhat, my eyes are well uneven but I could see that strange distortions or cartoon effects the faces took on when in the peripheral vision. I wonder if anyone has explained this?

Be interesting to see what happened if similar geometric figures, say a hexagon and a heptagon, were used instead of faces, or even two cartoon faces. Hmm, wonder what I can set up in Powerpoint . . .
Me, 2015

Alan H

#61 Post by Alan H » July 31st, 2012, 3:07 pm

Alan Henness