INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

209 seconds looking at our place in the universe

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.

Dave B

Re: 209 seconds looking at our place in the universe

#2 Post by Dave B » December 20th, 2014, 10:14 pm

But there are two levels of significance - to the Universe our significance approaches very, very close to zero, to ourselves however . . .

Which one do we experience every day?

So which one is important to us as individuals?

If the Universe came to visit us it might be different . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#3 Post by Compassionist » December 21st, 2014, 2:05 pm

Dave B wrote:But there are two levels of significance - to the Universe our significance approaches very, very close to zero, to ourselves however . . .

Which one do we experience every day?

So which one is important to us as individuals?

If the Universe came to visit us it might be different . . .
Significance is all in the mind. What is significant to one person is insignificant to another. "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell and a hell of heaven." - 'Paradise Lost', John Milton.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » December 21st, 2014, 3:58 pm

Hmm, not sure that your Milton quote applies to "significance" as I interpreted it with respect to the Universe. Perhaps "importance" would be more accurate?

I am far more important to me than whatever happens in some distant part of the firmament. OK, if our Sun burps seriously it will probably be of considerable significance to our everyday life - but I am not going to allow that to affect my actions in any way.

I am a speck on a speck cosmologically but I am a monument to myself in my own terms!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#5 Post by Compassionist » December 23rd, 2014, 10:08 pm

Dave B wrote:Hmm, not sure that your Milton quote applies to "significance" as I interpreted it with respect to the Universe. Perhaps "importance" would be more accurate?

I am far more important to me than whatever happens in some distant part of the firmament. OK, if our Sun burps seriously it will probably be of considerable significance to our everyday life - but I am not going to allow that to affect my actions in any way.

I am a speck on a speck cosmologically but I am a monument to myself in my own terms!
:laughter: