INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Statins

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Statins

#1 Post by Alan H » December 29th, 2015, 6:03 pm

There's been a lot said about these - and some members here may well be taking them. But there has been a lot of hype and media misrepresentation and scaremongering as well. This seems to be a good summary of the current situation: Statins: The Impact of Negative Media Reports and the Risks of Discontinuing Treatment
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: Statins

#2 Post by Dave B » December 29th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Thanks for that, Alan.

About 4 years ago I saw the pro/anti statin argument and did a bit of looking into it - as well as asking my cardiologist's opinion. The results then persuaded me that it be best to "keep taking the pill".

This, like many others medications, show that there is no art in the choice of which to take. All one can say if, "Of the n patients taking this medication for y condition x experienced a benefit."

I took Losartan potassium for years on my cardiologist's say-so. Basically because he always seems to prescribe it. I suffered increasingly worse cardiac symptoms on exercise over that period. I stopped taking Losartan a few months ago, my quality of life and ability to do chores (make the bed, walk round the supermarket, walk to my friend's without a half way rest and collapsing on her sofa on arrival, climb the stairs, even carrying the shopping, etc) has improved considerably.

I will worry about the effect on my kidneys later - just watch the potassium input!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#3 Post by jaywhat » December 30th, 2015, 6:59 am

Yes. Some years ago after reading the press panic about them I went to my doctor and he advised staying on them, so I did. All seems OK.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » December 30th, 2015, 8:55 am

jaywhat wrote:Yes. Some years ago after reading the press panic about them I went to my doctor and he advised staying on them, so I did. All seems OK.
Trouble is most GPs follow the herd on medication. They cannot afford to view the patient as an individual unless any side effects are gross and the balance is against use.

My GP still recommended nicorandil even after admitting he knew it could cause gastric ulcers - like the one I had.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#5 Post by Tetenterre » December 30th, 2015, 11:01 am

Last month my pharmacist, doing his annual review, told me of what to look for if I was (after over a decade on the things), developing rhabdomyolysis (bloody rare, but is a research interest of his...), but otherwise advised continuing as now. I respect his advice.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » December 30th, 2015, 11:17 am

Tetenterre wrote:Last month my pharmacist, doing his annual review, told me of what to look for if I was (after over a decade on the things), developing rhabdomyolysis (bloody rare, but is a research interest of his...), but otherwise advised continuing as now. I respect his advice.
Yes, pharmacists often know more about medications and their effects than doctors. With the problems a friend is having, between high BP and bad side effects, the local pharmacist has noted the frequent change in medication and phones her a few days later if he expects a poor reaction. Just to check or advise.
Me, 2015