INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Alleged proof of the existence of God

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Compassionist
Posts: 3523
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Alleged proof of the existence of God

#1 Post by Compassionist » January 9th, 2016, 11:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVm8RokoBA claims to prove the existence of God. I watched it. To me, it seems more like an interpretation rather than a proof. What do you think?

lewist
Posts: 4402
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#2 Post by lewist » January 10th, 2016, 8:59 am

The universe began, therefore god exists. Is that it?

One of the difficulties is that god is sold as intelligent. The 'laws of nature' don't even admit intelligence, far less the nice beardy guy in the sky with the harp and lots of angels.

Compassionist, I think it's what our American friends and cousins would call 'bs'.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Compassionist
Posts: 3523
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#3 Post by Compassionist » January 10th, 2016, 11:24 am

lewist wrote:The universe began, therefore god exists. Is that it?

One of the difficulties is that god is sold as intelligent. The 'laws of nature' don't even admit intelligence, far less the nice beardy guy in the sky with the harp and lots of angels.

Compassionist, I think it's what our American friends and cousins would call 'bs'.
Yes, he is saying that only God could have caused something (i.e. the universe) out of nothing. Just because the universe came into existence from nothing it doesn't prove God did it. Some agnostics / atheists say that quantum fluctuations exist in the void of nothing and the big bang was the result of quantum fluctuations but this claim is also hard to prove. God of the gaps can conveniently fill in the gaps in our knowledge with 'God did it' but that doesn't explain how it was done and is no more true than the claim 'Allah did it' or 'Brahma did it'.

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 24067
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#4 Post by Alan H » January 10th, 2016, 11:29 am

Even if 'god' created the Universe out of nothing (ignoring all the contradictions that brings), who's to say that's their Abrahamic god of the bible?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Compassionist
Posts: 3523
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#5 Post by Compassionist » January 10th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Alan H wrote:Even if 'god' created the Universe out of nothing (ignoring all the contradictions that brings), who's to say that's their Abrahamic god of the bible?
Exaclty. It could easily have been Allah or Brahma or some other god.

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 24067
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#6 Post by Alan H » January 10th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Compassionist wrote:
Alan H wrote:Even if 'god' created the Universe out of nothing (ignoring all the contradictions that brings), who's to say that's their Abrahamic god of the bible?
Exaclty. It could easily have been Allah or Brahma or some other god.
Or the Devil?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Compassionist
Posts: 3523
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#7 Post by Compassionist » January 10th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Alan H wrote:
Compassionist wrote:
Alan H wrote:Even if 'god' created the Universe out of nothing (ignoring all the contradictions that brings), who's to say that's their Abrahamic god of the bible?
Exaclty. It could easily have been Allah or Brahma or some other god.
Or the Devil?
Forgot about that! Yes, even that is equally possible!

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#8 Post by Alan C. » January 17th, 2016, 10:16 pm

Who created god? Oh I remember...........
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
jaywhat
Posts: 15807
Joined: July 5th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#9 Post by jaywhat » January 18th, 2016, 6:41 am

I do not understand why humanists are discussing or even thinking about all this mumbo jumbo.

lewist
Posts: 4402
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#10 Post by lewist » January 18th, 2016, 8:02 am

jaywhat wrote:I do not understand why humanists are discussing or even thinking about all this mumbo jumbo.
I think I called it 'bs', Jaywhat.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Compassionist
Posts: 3523
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#11 Post by Compassionist » January 18th, 2016, 10:35 am

jaywhat wrote:I do not understand why humanists are discussing or even thinking about all this mumbo jumbo.
Sorry jaywhat - I started the thread because I am frequently approached by Christians who want to convert me to Christianity. I find it helpful to discuss these issues with other humanists.

User avatar
jaywhat
Posts: 15807
Joined: July 5th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#12 Post by jaywhat » January 18th, 2016, 4:41 pm

please don't apologise, Comp . that's just me ranting again...

Compassionist
Posts: 3523
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#13 Post by Compassionist » January 19th, 2016, 10:23 am

jaywhat wrote:please don't apologise, Comp . that's just me ranting again...
It's good to rant sometimes!

Compassionist
Posts: 3523
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Alleged proof of the existence of God

#14 Post by Compassionist » January 21st, 2016, 4:02 pm

It annoys me that religious people often say "Thank God (whichever god they believe in ) when things go well but they don't say blame God when things go wrong. Surely, if God is behind things going right, God is also behind things going wrong? It annoys me that they use double standards when it comes to crediting/blaming God for events.

Post Reply