INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Malware

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
coffee

Malware

#1 Post by coffee » June 30th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Hi,

I done something which any computer expert would advice not to do (should not have done), I clicked on an email which I don't know out of curiosity, which could download malware onto my computer. What/how do I do now to eliminate/mitigate this risk? Please help? I need your advice.

Alan H

Re: Malware

#2 Post by Alan H » June 30th, 2018, 8:02 pm

coffee wrote:Hi,

I done something which any computer expert would advice not to do (should not have done), I clicked on an email which I don't know out of curiosity, which could download malware onto my computer. What/how do I do now to eliminate/mitigate this risk? Please help? I need your advice.
Yes, we know. It's been posting stupid and ignorant stuff about Brexit from right-wing xenophobic sources such as the DM, Express...

You need to run your virus scanner or run an online program such as that from Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, McAfee, Sophos, Norton.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#3 Post by coffee » June 30th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Alan H wrote:

Yes, we know. It's been posting stupid and ignorant stuff about Brexit from right-wing xenophobic sources such as the DM, Express...

You need to run your virus scanner or run an online program such as that from Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, McAfee, Sophos, Norton.
Thank you for your advice, I am doing that now, is there anything else I can do?

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » June 30th, 2018, 8:21 pm

coffee wrote:
Alan H wrote:

Thank you for your advice, I am doing that now, is there anything else I can do?
If your PC is infected, you need to find it and get it removed fully. Depending on what the malware is, it may have sent emails to all your contacts with an infected attachment or link. Do you know what it is? Did you actually click on a link or open an attachment? Do you have malware/virus protection?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#5 Post by coffee » June 30th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Alan H wrote:
coffee wrote:
Alan H wrote:Yes, we know. It's been posting stupid and ignorant stuff about Brexit from right-wing xenophobic sources such as the DM, Express...

If your PC is infected, you need to find it and get it removed fully. Depending on what the malware is, it may have sent emails to all your contacts with an infected attachment or link. Do you know what it is? Did you actually click on a link or open an attachment? Do you have malware/virus protection?
I clicked on a link of an email from/of this website [deleted by admin]

Yes, I have anti virus and anti spyware and firewall, all in one called Zonealarm

I am running a anti virus and spyware, ZoneAlarm now, I am a bit worry as I am not computer competence

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » June 30th, 2018, 9:04 pm

coffee wrote:
Alan H wrote:
coffee wrote:

Yes, I have anti virus and anti spyware and firewall, all in one called Zonealarm

I am running a anti virus and spyware, ZoneAlarm now, I am a bit worry as I am not computer competence
I would have thought Zonealarm was reputable enough and would have found and blocked anything suspicious. Are you sure you were infected?
Alan Henness

coffee

#7 Post by coffee » June 30th, 2018, 9:13 pm

>>>Are you sure you were infected?<<<

No

There is no evidence of malware so far.

But I am worry because I done something which I should not have done.

coffee

#8 Post by coffee » June 30th, 2018, 9:17 pm

The problem with malware is that you don't know it there until it is picked up by anti malware software

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » June 30th, 2018, 10:24 pm

coffee wrote:The problem with malware is that you don't know it there until it is picked up by anti malware software
Malware protection should stop it before it can do anything.
Alan Henness

coffee

#10 Post by coffee » July 1st, 2018, 12:28 pm

My anti virus and spyware says I am safe after a scan.

Alan H

#11 Post by Alan H » July 1st, 2018, 12:52 pm

coffee wrote:My anti virus and spyware says I am safe after a scan.
If your software was up to date and found nothing, then you are probably safe. When you said you opened a dodgy email, did you click on a link or open an attachment? You said earlier:
but I'm not sure whether that was the link you clicked on or whether it's the site you though the email came from.
Alan Henness

coffee

#12 Post by coffee » July 1st, 2018, 1:07 pm

Alan H wrote:
coffee wrote:My anti virus and spyware says I am safe after a scan.
If your software was up to date and found nothing, then you are probably safe. When you said you opened a dodgy email, did you click on a link or open an attachment? You said earlier:
but I'm not sure whether that was the link you clicked on or whether it's the site you though the email came from.
I subscribe to that site email, but it was the first time I clicked the link of that email because of its irresistible email.