INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

The future of Government (if any)

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Re: The future of Government (if any)

#2561 Post by Alan H » December 24th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#2562 Post by Dave B » December 24th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Alan, when I coicked on that link there was soje kind of pop-up warning about a virus asking me to tick "OK" to clear it.

Bothered about it, switched off instea. When it started up again the page had changed to the site of the warner. I closed thstvtab.

It was "itt-edu.com" or similar. There seem to be similar legit URLs out there, I may havr0e got it not-quite-right.

Later: checked history, it was "itt.edu.us". Can't find it on a google search but it throws up a load of warnings about viruses on you phone if it gets in. Devil to get rid of, have to switch off then close any tabs it opens on restartl
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#2563 Post by Alan H » December 24th, 2015, 9:58 pm

The last link I posted? It was to the Independent, so should be OK. Have you run a virus scan and checked your browser for unwanted add-ons?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#2564 Post by Dave B » December 24th, 2015, 10:16 pm

I'll reply in Tech Help
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#2565 Post by Nick » December 25th, 2015, 9:39 am

Dave B wrote:Alan, when I coicked on that link there was soje kind of pop-up warning about a virus asking me to tick "OK" to clear it.
That'll teach to coick! :D

(Bad luck, though... :sad: )

Alan H

#2566 Post by Alan H » December 26th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Suspend your Scroogery – charities aren’t flush with cash, they pay for government failure
So a neat two-step has ensued: first, what would have once been council-run services have been put out to tender, and charities invited to bid for them. Then, when the cuts to council budgets begin to bite, it’s the charities that are forced to slash costs, lay off staff and, sometimes, shut down altogether. A minister can then do a sad face on television about how inefficient they must have been not to have been able to manage on these reduced funds. As in all outsourcing, the objective isn’t so much to increase efficiency as to stop politicians being held responsible for anything that goes wrong.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#2567 Post by Alan H » December 27th, 2015, 12:14 am

UK emergency services: One third of response vehicles to be scrapped in 2016
One third of emergency response vehicles that could have been used to deal with terror incidents and contaminations are being removed from service from 31 December. After a review, the government has found that 43 out of the 65 emergency vehicles would be sufficient to tackle emergency situations.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#2568 Post by Dave B » December 27th, 2015, 9:16 am

I have to say that the headline gives an inaccurate slant to the article, this makes me question the whole of the piece.

Initially it sounds like one third of all response vehicles are to be taken out of service, that could include ambulances etc.

Not sure that this gives an objective and balanced version of the story, but I am not surprised if its core is true. Quite surprised at its tone from a so called business paper but, as has often been demonstrated, even businessmen can be total tits.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#2569 Post by Alan H » December 27th, 2015, 10:27 am

Dave B wrote:I have to say that the headline gives an inaccurate slant to the article, this makes me question the whole of the piece.

Initially it sounds like one third of all response vehicles are to be taken out of service, that could include ambulances etc.

Not sure that this gives an objective and balanced version of the story, but I am not surprised if its core is true. Quite surprised at its tone from a so called business paper but, as has often been demonstrated, even businessmen can be total tits.
The headline is usually written by someone else, of course, but that meaning never really occurred to me. But I know what ERV/IRUs are through my work with the Red Cross. But 43 doesn't sound like many to cover the whole country in an emergency.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#2570 Post by Dave B » December 27th, 2015, 10:42 am

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:I have to say that the headline gives an inaccurate slant to the article, this makes me question the whole of the piece.

The headline is usually written by someone else, of course, but that meaning never really occurred to me. But I know what ERV/IRUs are through my work with the Red Cross. But 43 doesn't sound like many to cover the whole country in an emergency.
Sorry, I should have echoed your last point in my post. I would need to know far more about this service and its dustribution, the basis for perceived threat etc. before coming to an opinion.

I do not see an obvious politicak/ideological decision here, it will save a minute amount in comparison to what tge country needs. Just another bureaucratic SNAFU?

Later:
The headline is usually written by someone else, of course, but that meaning never really occurred to me

Ah, they employ special people to write headlines, people who know how to get attention, offer something that supports their stance and attempts to establish a mindset, in the reader, sympathetic to their aims. Especially if you read it quickly, without question!
Me, 2015

Alan H

#2571 Post by Alan H » December 27th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Alan Henness

Dave B

#2572 Post by Dave B » December 27th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Summat funny happened after viewing that link, Alan, could not get back to TH, the page kept reloading itself and could not even close the tab.

Tried to open a new tab for TH and the keyboard just kept putting b's and v's on the search line. Had to switch off to get back to normal.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#2573 Post by Alan H » December 27th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Dave B wrote:Summat funny happened after viewing that link, Alan, could not get back to TH, the page kept reloading itself and could not even close the tab.

Tried to open a new tab for TH and the keyboard just kept putting b's and v's on the search line. Had to switch off to get back to normal.
Very odd...
Alan Henness

Dave B

#2574 Post by Dave B » December 27th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Yeah, tried it again and no probs.

:shrug:
Me, 2015

Alan H

#2575 Post by Alan H » December 29th, 2015, 1:56 pm

‘Shameful’ Tory Assault On Welfare Could Plunge Millions More Into Poverty By 2030
The Tories relentless assault on welfare benefits could plunge millions of more people into poverty, according to a left-leaning think tank.

An analysis of Tory welfare cuts by the Resolution Foundation and Landman Economics found that an extra 3.6 million people could be pushed below the breadline by Christmas 2030, including 1.9 million children.

The damning revelation shows that the number of children living in poverty is set to soar by a shocking 75% by 2030, unless the Government shows a change of heart and halts in attack on Britain’s poorest people.

It means that the number of children living in poverty will rise to 4.4 million in just fifteen years, around one-if-four (28%) of all children living in Britain.

The number of children living in “absolute” poverty is also expected to rise by 800,000 over the same period.

According to the report, the poorest 10% of Brits can expect their annual income to rise by just £90 a year, easily dwarfed by rising living costs, while the richest 10% will see their income boosted to the tune of an extra £1,600 each year.
Alan Henness

Nick

#2576 Post by Nick » December 29th, 2015, 2:51 pm

So, what we are being told, is that an increase in one's income can mean one is in greater poverty? Cobblers. What is being measured is some sort of equality, not poverty. But that doesn't bother the Left. Logic was never their strong suit.

Alan H

#2577 Post by Alan H » December 29th, 2015, 3:50 pm

Nick wrote:So, what we are being told, is that an increase in one's income can mean one is in greater poverty? Cobblers. What is being measured is some sort of equality, not poverty. But that doesn't bother the Left. Logic was never their strong suit.
:laughter:
Alan Henness

Dave B

#2578 Post by Dave B » December 29th, 2015, 4:03 pm

:rolleyes:
Me, 2015

Alan H

#2579 Post by Alan H » December 30th, 2015, 11:16 am

Oliver Letwin blocked help for black youth after 1985 riots
David Cameron’s chief policy adviser has apologised after he helped to ward off cabinet pleas for assistance for black unemployed youth following the 1985 inner-city riots with the argument that any help would only end up in the “disco and drug trade”.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#2580 Post by Alan H » December 30th, 2015, 11:32 am

Apple agrees to pay £234m to settle Italian tax dispute
Apple has agreed to pay €318m (£234m) to settle a tax dispute with Italian authorities after the iPhone and iPad maker was investigated for suspected fraud, the country’s tax agency has confirmed.

The US technology giant’s Italian subsidiary and several of its senior executives had been under investigation for fraud over its alleged failure to comply with obligations to declare its earnings in Italy between 2008 and 2013.

According to Italian daily La Repubblica, Apple Italia should have paid corporation tax of €880m for the period. But, after months of negotiations, the tax authorities agreed to close the case in return for around a third of that amount.
Italy says international tax dodger amnesty is bringing in billions
About €60bn in undeclared wealth disclosed – mostly hidden in Switzerland – with up to €4bn in tax and interest expected to be paid, says government
Alan Henness

anaconda

#2581 Post by anaconda » December 30th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Alan H wrote:Oliver Letwin blocked help for black youth after 1985 riots
David Cameron’s chief policy adviser has apologised after he helped to ward off cabinet pleas for assistance for black unemployed youth following the 1985 inner-city riots with the argument that any help would only end up in the “disco and drug trade”.
Met him once briefly with Nick. I didnt get around to asking about his views on race! He was a bit oily though.
John