INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Alan Johnston has been released?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Moonbeam

Alan Johnston has been released?

#1 Post by Moonbeam » July 4th, 2007, 11:16 am

I think I just heard a news headline - or am I mistaken?

Bryn

#2 Post by Bryn » July 4th, 2007, 11:47 am

YESSS!!!!

He was released early this morning after 114 days. Wonderful news and cause for a celebration.

:party:

para handy

#3 Post by para handy » July 4th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Yes, it's great news. 114 days must be an unimaginable eternity to be held captive by people who may kill you at a moment's notice. Goodness knows how he has got through his ordeal (although it's no where as long as people like Terry Waite had to endure).

Jem

#4 Post by Jem » July 4th, 2007, 1:46 pm

A link to the news story in The Scotsman.

Titanium Wheels

#5 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 4th, 2007, 6:00 pm

Great news and delightful to hear though the BBC was a bit over the top this morning on Radio 4.
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#6 Post by Maria Mac » July 4th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Just been watching the 6 o clock news. How delightfully British is he?

"I'll try to keep out of trouble. It would be so embarrassing if you had to do all this again".

:laughter:

lewist

#7 Post by lewist » July 4th, 2007, 11:17 pm

It gave me a real lift when I read it on the BBC website this morning.

Lifelinking

#8 Post by Lifelinking » July 5th, 2007, 9:55 pm

The Times ran a front page today under the headline 'Forgotten Hostages'.

Johnston himself had brought up the plight of the 5 British hostages who are still being held in Iraq, and who we have not heard a peep about in the media since their kidnapping 38 days ago.

While the BBC ran a well organised and resourced campaign for the return of one of their own, the Government has apparently imposed a virtual news blackout on the situation of the five hostages.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office wallahs interviewed by The Times insited that 'there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes'.

Appreciating that the situation in iraq is quite different from Palestine, I still wonder if an embargo of this kind is in the best interest of those being held?

Titanium Wheels

#9 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 6th, 2007, 9:34 am

You are right, Lifelinking, there are others. Are there not also some Israelis held in Gaza and Lebanon? whatever our view of the politics of the region we really should be in favour of the release of all hostages.

Mind, Israel is hold hundreds of Palestinians without charge so they ought to b releasing them too.
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband