INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Does that make me a troll?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
getreal

#1 Post by getreal » July 20th, 2014, 9:08 am

I've been posting on a vaccine denial Facebook page. Initially, because of the name, I thought it was a pro, or at least balanced, page, but it's full on the usual nonsense.

Well, I kinda got sucked into stupid, pointless conversations and eventually I've lost it.

I am now seeing how far I can go, without resorting to blatant insult, before I get banned. I must say I have been called all sorts of abusive names, but I have not responded to them. I have called vaccine denial a cult and said their views are ill informed, ignorant and dangerous.

"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

Re: Does that make me a troll?

#2 Post by Dave B » July 20th, 2014, 9:23 am

Not if your posts are not deliberately provocative or abusive and are on the subject under discussion according to my understanding of the word.

Any real debate should except all arguments, even counter arguments, that are relevant to the discussion. But then, relevance can often be in the mind of the reader . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » July 20th, 2014, 11:00 am

getreal wrote:I've been posting on a vaccine denial Facebook page. Initially, because of the name, I thought it was a pro, or at least balanced, page, but it's full on the usual nonsense.
Yep. So many of them want to appear to be balanced and science-based and ensuring parents are properly informed so they can exercise their choice... Who could be against choice, after all? Unfortunately, they are usually anything but.
Well, I kinda got sucked into stupid, pointless conversations and eventually I've lost it.
Understandable.
I am now seeing how far I can go, without resorting to blatant insult, before I get banned. I must say I have been called all sorts of abusive names, but I have not responded to them. I have called vaccine denial a cult and said their views are ill informed, ignorant and dangerous.
Yep. A cult, usually with Wakefield as their Messiah,.
No.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » July 20th, 2014, 11:22 am

I have just noticed that they dapper to delete any dissenters posts. As a result it's not possible to follow an argument. They have yet to delete mine. But I can feel it coming.

I have noticed one of my friends has "liked" their site. She also believes Wakefield is a "wronged man". She has a Masters in Experimental Psychology. How did she get to that conclusion?

she's a very nice lady, though.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » July 20th, 2014, 11:41 am

getreal wrote:I have just noticed that they dapper to delete any dissenters posts. As a result it's not possible to follow an argument. They have yet to delete mine. But I can feel it coming.
The usual pattern...they don't like being challenged.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » July 20th, 2014, 1:44 pm

They appear to have removed a whole lot of my posts.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » July 20th, 2014, 1:56 pm

getreal wrote:They appear to have removed a whole lot of my posts.
I hope you're not surprised?
Alan Henness

getreal

#8 Post by getreal » July 20th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Alan, I'm gobsmacked!

Well. Maybe not.

I think I'll complain to Trading Stamdards, though. They cdescribe themselves as providing information to enable parents to make an "informed" choice.

:hilarity:

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » July 20th, 2014, 2:43 pm

getreal wrote:Alan, I'm gobsmacked!

Well. Maybe not.

I think I'll complain to Trading Stamdards, though. They cdescribe themselves as providing information to enable parents to make an "informed" choice.

:hilarity:
Unless they are selling something, TS won't be interested!
Alan Henness

getreal

#10 Post by getreal » July 20th, 2014, 3:23 pm

I know. I'm being a wee bit facetious.

Or maybe sarcastic? I always confuse the two.

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » July 20th, 2014, 5:50 pm

How about "facastic" or "sarcetious"?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#12 Post by getreal » July 20th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Im done with them. It's completely useless trying to have anything resembling a rational discussion with people like them. Their actions really are cultish.

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » July 20th, 2014, 11:38 pm

Just watch the comments on this article just published...

Robert Kennedy's Dangerous Anti-Vaccine Activism
Alan Henness