INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

#1 Post by Alan H » September 24th, 2014, 5:07 pm

We need John Oliver back in the UK. Until then, here's his wise words on various current topics.

Miss America Pageant

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

Re: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

#2 Post by Alan H » March 12th, 2015, 12:15 am

Unbelievable...

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » May 4th, 2015, 12:05 am

Alan Henness

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » June 6th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Why is there even such as thing as medical debt? John Oliver buys and forgives $15m worth of medical debt
Watch out, Oprah Winfrey. John Oliver, host of HBO’s Last Week Tonight, outdid TV’s biggest gift giver on Sunday when he forgave nearly $15m worth of medical debt on his show.

Oliver’s “giveaway” came at the end of a 20-minute segment on debt collectors. The segment focused on the bad actors in the industry, who buy debt from banks for cents on the dollar. These predatory collectors attempt to recoup the debt they purchased using threats and other aggressive tactics without first verifying the exact details of the debt.
But Oliver’s giveaway is likely to have a larger impact on the lives of more people. After the transaction was completed, Carp received a list of names, addresses and social security numbers of nearly 9,000 people who owed that $15m.

“We bought it, which is absolutely terrifying because it means if I wanted to, I could legally have Carp take possession of that list and have employees start calling people, turning their lives upside down over medical debt,” said Oliver.

Instead of collecting the debt, however, Last Week Tonight partnered with RIP Medical Debt charity and decided to forgive that debt.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » June 7th, 2016, 4:43 am

I find it dificult to find tge words to describe that. 9 000 people probably feel the same.

The debt industry is bad enough in this country, I am guessing the States are worse. I fell foul of it when I did not realise a company had an auto-renewal clause buried in the small print that uou had to find thdn opt out of. Cost me twice the fee in the end, only £60, but the principle...

Gave that company stick on the website I had then. Carefully.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » June 7th, 2016, 9:55 am

Dave B wrote:I find it dificult to find tge words to describe that. 9 000 people probably feel the same.

The debt industry is bad enough in this country, I am guessing the States are worse.
Indeed. The idea that something called 'medical debt' is acceptable in an ostensibly civilised society is appalling. The sad thing is we can see how it could easily become a reality in this country.
Alan Henness