INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Making a "profit" for charity donations

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Dave B

Making a "profit" for charity donations

#1 Post by Dave B » January 12th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Well, if the charity has a shop...

I buy things like smartphone/tablet styli, ten or twenty at a time, on Amazon for about 10p each. Then I donate them and they usually sell for 50p each. Thus my quid earns the shop a fiver or more!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

Re: Making a "profit" for charity donations

#2 Post by Alan C. » January 12th, 2016, 6:41 pm

I did similar some years ago, they were a tiny chip thing I got from ebay that 'boosted' mobile phone reception (reception here was shite at the time) Still pretty poor in some places.
I don't know if they worked as I've never had a mobile phone but they sold in the charity shop next door :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

lewist

#3 Post by lewist » January 12th, 2016, 7:10 pm

I like it. There are indeed things you can get in packs that could be sold individually in a charity shop. :)
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » January 12th, 2016, 7:26 pm

lewist wrote:I like it. There are indeed things you can get in packs that could be sold individually in a charity shop. :)
And many of them say they are not to be sold individually...You wouldn't want the manufacturers to lose out on their profit, would you?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » January 12th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Alan H wrote:
lewist wrote:I like it. There are indeed things you can get in packs that could be sold individually in a charity shop. :)
And many of them say they are not to be sold individually...You wouldn't want the manufacturers to lose out on their profit, would you?
All the stuff I am getting is from China, I doubt that anything like it is made in Europe these days because the Chinese are so dominant. I would not want to put a European company out of business by undercutting their sales in this way!

Later: if the Chinese want to sell at these pricesv who am I to stop them? If the customers do not have an Amazon account, well, 50p is not a lot to ask!

I paid £60 for a fancy pulse oxymeter - when I made an enquiry about it to the Chinese manufacturers I was offered 1000 within the week at £12 each. 10,000 in 30 days at £7 each! I was actually asking about the Bluetooth unit for it so I could record to my PC without a USB cable. No longer avaible.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » January 17th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Alan H
And many of them say they are not to be sold individually
Tins of beans and tins of beer?
I purchased two bubble wrap cards of said mobile phone 'boosters' They were clearly meant to be sold individually
Ffs it's for charity, bulk buy batteries is another good one (but check the use by date)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » January 17th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Alan C. wrote:I did similar some years ago, they were a tiny chip thing I got from ebay that 'boosted' mobile phone reception (reception here was shite at the time) Still pretty poor in some places.
I don't know if they worked as I've never had a mobile phone but they sold in the charity shop next door :smile:
I missed this. Mobile phone boosters? Sounds utterly pseudoscientific!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?