INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
coffee

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#241 Post by coffee » March 26th, 2018, 10:21 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Davis says a deal with the EU is 'incredibly probable': Brexit News for Monday 26 March

http://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit-n ... -26-march/

animist

#242 Post by animist » March 26th, 2018, 11:07 am

coffee wrote:Davis says a deal with the EU is 'incredibly probable': Brexit News for Monday 26 March

oh well, if DD says so it must be a done deal :hilarity:

Nick

#243 Post by Nick » March 26th, 2018, 11:23 am

I think DD has it right. :D Though agreement (of some sort) is indeed probable, such an agreement, given the EU's aggressive stance would indeed seem incredible! :D

Alan H

#244 Post by Alan H » March 26th, 2018, 11:38 am

animist wrote:
coffee wrote:Davis says a deal with the EU is 'incredibly probable': Brexit News for Monday 26 March

oh well, if DD says so it must be a done deal :hilarity:
Davis doesn't have much form to date...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#245 Post by coffee » March 26th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Westmonster Retweeted

Michael Heaver

Verified account

@Michael_Heaver
6h6 hours ago

London still ranked number one financial powerhouse in the world.

Only one other EU city in the top 20 Frankfurt - and they’re down 9 places! Project Fear busted yet again.

----------

Leave.EU

Verified account

@LeaveEUOfficial
9h9 hours ago

When will the establishment understand, Britons don't want open borders. Not in a million years will the EU have something good enough to offer in return.

Alan H

#246 Post by Alan H » March 26th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Coffee, can you please provide links to Tweets, etc?

Oh, BTW, we've not left yet.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#247 Post by coffee » March 26th, 2018, 6:34 pm

>>Coffee, can you please provide links to Tweets, etc?<<

Not today Alan, I have not got time.

Alan H

#248 Post by Alan H » March 26th, 2018, 6:39 pm

coffee wrote:>>Coffee, can you please provide links to Tweets, etc?<<

Not today Alan, I have not got time.
Please try to do that in future - it helps everyone. And we probably don't need to know whether someone has a verified account and how long ago they posted it. Keep it tidy; keep it simple. And the quote tags help as well.
Alan Henness

animist

#249 Post by animist » March 26th, 2018, 6:57 pm

coffee wrote:Westmonster Retweeted

Michael Heaver

Verified account

@Michael_Heaver
6h6 hours ago

London still ranked number one financial powerhouse in the world.

Only one other EU city in the top 20 Frankfurt - and they’re down 9 places! Project Fear busted yet again.

----------

Leave.EU

Verified account

@LeaveEUOfficial
9h9 hours ago

When will the establishment understand, Britons don't want open borders. Not in a million years will the EU have something good enough to offer in return.
um well, yes, Britons do want an open border - in Ireland, in case you ignorati had not noticed. And, referring to the first item, Michael Heaver must be the ignoratus to beat the lot - just watch him on Sky's Press Review

coffee

#250 Post by coffee » March 27th, 2018, 10:54 am

Ministers threaten to cripple EU Galileo satellite’s global coverage if EU locks UK out of it

Britain will cripple the EU Galileo satellite’s global coverage if the EU presses ahead with a threat to lock Britain out of it. A Brussels plan to strip Britain of access to the joint space system after Brexit has infuriated Downing Street. Ministers will hit back with a pledge to turn off key infrastructure for it on the Falklands, Ascension Island and Diego Garcia. The Galileo satellite – relied on by businesses as well as the military – uses dishes and boosters on Britain’s overseas territories to give it global vision. - The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5906949/b ... on-threat/

Space, the new Brexit frontier: EU is threatening to kick Britain out of their multi-billion pound Galileo satellite project - Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z5AsU4uLlE

-----------

...as poll find voters in Great Britain think leaving the EU ‘more important than the union with Northern Ireland’

Leaving the European Union is more important than maintaining the union with Northern Ireland for voters in Great Britain, a poll has suggested. Of those who took part, 36% viewed leaving the European Union as their top priority, while 29% said it’s that NI remains part of the United Kingdom. Around 22% said neither issue was important, while the remainder said they did not know which one to prioritise higher. The YouGov survey, commissioned by radio station LBC, was conducted online between the 21st and 22nd of March, and sampled 1,630 adults living in Great Britain. - ITV News

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2018-03-26/ ... n-with-ni/

--------------

Germany's BREXIT BOMBSHELL: Merkel shock as UK's EU exit will cost nation €7 BILLION

GERMAN Chancellor Angela Merkel has been dealt a Brexit blow after it was estimated the UK’s exit form the EU next year could cost Germany up to €7 billion per year.

By PAUL WITHERS

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/93 ... trade-deal

coffee

#251 Post by coffee » March 27th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Brexit MORE important than keeping Northern Ireland within UK – poll

MORE voters in Great Britain rate leaving the EU as a priority ahead of maintaining the Union with Northern Ireland, a poll has suggested.

PUBLISHED: 16:04, Mon, Mar 26, 2018 | UPDATED: 22:51, Mon, Mar 26, 2018

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... -Donaldson

------------

Beware of hard-left Corbyn government: Business chief warning as she praises May's Brexit

BRITAIN’S businesses have praised the latest progress achieved by the Government during the Brexit talks and urged the nation to avoid letting Jeremy Corbyn enter Number 10.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/93762 ... emy-corbyn

--------------

coffee

#252 Post by coffee » March 27th, 2018, 12:50 pm

BrexitCentral

@BrexitCentral
36m36 minutes ago

A @EuroGuido investigation has revealed that in the month before the EU referendum vote, Remainers set up FIVE new campaigns and funnelled a MILLION pounds into them so they could stay under the spending limit

https://order-order.com/2018/03/26/rema ... far-worse/

Alan H

#253 Post by Alan H » March 27th, 2018, 1:13 pm

coffee wrote:BrexitCentral

@BrexitCentral
36m36 minutes ago

A @EuroGuido investigation has revealed that in the month before the EU referendum vote, Remainers set up FIVE new campaigns and funnelled a MILLION pounds into them so they could stay under the spending limit

Coffee, that light green doesn't exactly help - it's virtually unreadable on my screen. And links to those Tweets?
Alan Henness

animist

#254 Post by animist » March 27th, 2018, 1:28 pm

coffee wrote:Brexit MORE important than keeping Northern Ireland within UK – poll

MORE voters in Great Britain rate leaving the EU as a priority ahead of maintaining the Union with Northern Ireland, a poll has suggested.

PUBLISHED: 16:04, Mon, Mar 26, 2018 | UPDATED: 22:51, Mon, Mar 26, 2018

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... -Donaldson

------------
that is actually interesting. Northern Ireland may well be "sacrificed" to the need for sensible resolution to the Brexit problem, and it is only by an electoral accident that the DUP have been able to keep it as a priority. It is possible to forecast that Labour and the Tories will agree, when time is really short, to a deal with the EU based on the latter's plans for Ireland remaining as one entity

Nick

#255 Post by Nick » March 27th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Just a musing, not a Brexit point, I wonder what the Irish Republic said about erecting a hard border when it left the UK...? (Apart, of course, from saying that the whole of the island of Ireland should have left).

coffee

#256 Post by coffee » March 27th, 2018, 4:49 pm

>>Coffee, that light green doesn't exactly help - it's virtually unreadable on my screen. And links to those Tweets?<<

You would have to go to

@BrexitCentral twitter account to check it out Alan, I can't do any more than that. I don't know how to do more than that.

Alan H

#257 Post by Alan H » March 27th, 2018, 5:05 pm

coffee wrote:>>Coffee, that light green doesn't exactly help - it's virtually unreadable on my screen. And links to those Tweets?<<

You would have to go to

@BrexitCentral twitter account to check it out Alan, I can't do any more than that. I don't know how to do more than that.
It's easy: don't use that green. Past the link of the Tweet or article - you do it sometimes.
Alan Henness

Nick

#258 Post by Nick » March 27th, 2018, 5:19 pm

animist wrote:that is actually interesting. Northern Ireland may well be "sacrificed" to the need for sensible resolution to the Brexit problem, and it is only by an electoral accident that the DUP have been able to keep it as a priority. It is possible to forecast that Labour and the Tories will agree, when time is really short, to a deal with the EU based on the latter's plans for Ireland remaining as one entity
Hmmm... I don't think that poll tells us very much, actually. I'd have thought that most mainland Brits don't mind whether NI is part of the UK or not. I don't suppose many have given it much thought. It does however, matter a great deal to a majority of Northern Irish, who deeply desire to remain within the UK (even though they voted to remain within the EU too.) Notwithstanding the idea that the partition of Ireland was a bit of a dogs dinner which was bound to cause trouble, I don't think (given where we have been since 1922) that either Labour or Conservative would be that keen on just abandoning the people of Northern Ireland, casting them away against their wishes. Sure, they have greater leverage at the moment, but it is a false reading IMO to regard the unity of the current UK as just because of a few seats, which neither Labour nor the Conservatives contest.

I think it highly likely that the border question will end in a typical Irish fudge, which will work well enough, rather than perfectly. Perfect solutions are not available, are they?

coffee

#259 Post by coffee » March 27th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Leave.EU

Verified account

@LeaveEU
4h4 hours ago
More
Merkel's idiotic decision to open the floodgates to the entire world is still having repercussions. There are now 65,000 failed asylum seekers that Germany cannot deport - what a huge security risk!

https://www.westmonster.com/germany-num ... -rises-71/

---------

Leave.EU

Verified account

@LeaveEU
10h10 hours ago
More
READ | By the time Turkey joins, the EU will be a fully-fledged federal state. Even scarier, we'll probably still be in it.

https://www.westmonster.com/turkey-push ... embership/

-------------

Get Britain Out

@GetBritainOut
3h3 hours ago

Old friends and allies across the globe, such as Australia, are looking forward to Brexit! It will allow for greater co-operation between our nations!

Brexit trade vow: Australia confirms HUGE trade deal will be SIGNED 'the day Brexit ends'

THE AUSTRALIAN Trade and Investment Minister has revealed that a huge free trade agreement between Britain and Australia will be ready to be signed on "the day after" the Brexit transition ends.

By OLI SMITH

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/93739 ... ralia-2021

--------------

>> Past the link of the Tweet or article - you do it sometimes.<<

Here it is

Alan H

#260 Post by Alan H » March 27th, 2018, 7:33 pm

coffee wrote:>> Past the link of the Tweet or article - you do it sometimes.<<

Here it is

I await with interest the announcement of the investigation by the Electoral Commission...
Alan Henness

animist

#261 Post by animist » March 27th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Nick wrote:
animist wrote:that is actually interesting. Northern Ireland may well be "sacrificed" to the need for sensible resolution to the Brexit problem, and it is only by an electoral accident that the DUP have been able to keep it as a priority. It is possible to forecast that Labour and the Tories will agree, when time is really short, to a deal with the EU based on the latter's plans for Ireland remaining as one entity
Hmmm... I don't think that poll tells us very much, actually. I'd have thought that most mainland Brits don't mind whether NI is part of the UK or not. I don't suppose many have given it much thought. It does however, matter a great deal to a majority of Northern Irish, who deeply desire to remain within the UK (even though they voted to remain within the EU too.) Notwithstanding the idea that the partition of Ireland was a bit of a dogs dinner which was bound to cause trouble, I don't think (given where we have been since 1922) that either Labour or Conservative would be that keen on just abandoning the people of Northern Ireland, casting them away against their wishes. Sure, they have greater leverage at the moment, but it is a false reading IMO to regard the unity of the current UK as just because of a few seats, which neither Labour nor the Conservatives contest.

I think it highly likely that the border question will end in a typical Irish fudge, which will work well enough, rather than perfectly. Perfect solutions are not available, are they?
I assume that Northern Ireland would remain in the UK as far as politics and constitution are concerned. The fudge is the postponement of any decision before Brexit and the transition period, but I am not that the issue can be fudged if/when Britain really does leave the Customs Union - but nothing about Brexit is certain