INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#61 Post by Alan H » February 25th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Nick wrote:
Alan H wrote:
coffee wrote:@Jacob_Rees_Mogg and the ERG's demands:

✅We should be able to set tariffs
✅Be able to make our own laws
✅We need to plan for global trading
✅Start trade talks before we leave
✅Negotiate as an equal, not be cowed
✅Not let Remainers use implementation period to delay Brexit
To what benefit?
Just to help you out, Alan :wink:

1) So that we have cheaper imports, which not only help us, but also the exporting countries, especially the developing world.

2) Because they are more likely to suit our own tastes and needs, besides being more democratic

3) Because 90% of future economic growth is expected to be outside the EU

4) Because we'd be daft not to

5) If someone is pulling your hair, you have two options, to comply with whatever they want, or to be free of the hair-puller. The EU is behaving in a nastiy bullying way, exuding threats, not conciliation.

6) Because, having taken the decision to leave, the longer the implementation period, the longer the period of uncertainty.
You've been reading the Daily Fail, haven't you?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#62 Post by coffee » February 25th, 2018, 4:52 pm

LEAVE.EU

Verified account

@LeaveEUOfficial
7h7 hours ago

Marr: "After we leave, who will be in charge of trade policy?"
Starmer: "That will have to be negotiated."

@Keir_Starmer confirms a Labour government would sell out the British public on Brexit and tie us into a protectionist Customs Union with the EU. Shameful!

-------------------------

LEAVE.EU

Verified account

@LeaveEUOfficial
17h17 hours ago

READ | Yet more Brexit disaster. Prospects of a top US trade deal are diminishing thanks to transition and mixed messages from May, says Nigel Farage. Baffling and deeply worrying.

Alan H

#63 Post by Alan H » February 25th, 2018, 5:10 pm

coffee wrote:LEAVE.EU

Verified account

@LeaveEUOfficial
7h7 hours ago

Starmer: "That will have to be negotiated."

@Keir_Starmer confirms a Labour government would sell out the British public on Brexit and tie us into a protectionist Customs Union with the EU. Shameful!

-------------------------

LEAVE.EU

Verified account

@LeaveEUOfficial
17h17 hours ago

READ | Yet more Brexit disaster. Prospects of a top US trade deal are diminishing thanks to transition and mixed messages from May, says Nigel Farage. Baffling and deeply worrying.
Coffee, it would be helpful if you could provide a link to Tweets, etc so we can see them in full and understand the context.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#64 Post by coffee » February 25th, 2018, 5:34 pm

To Alan H

I think I got it from @Leave.EU tweeter account very recently (it should be somewhere down the list today or yesterday)

Alan H

#65 Post by Alan H » February 25th, 2018, 6:01 pm

coffee wrote:To Alan H

I think I got it from @Leave.EU tweeter account very recently (it should be somewhere down the list today or yesterday)
Yes, I can see it's from a Twitter account, but it would be good to be able to see the whole Tweet and understand the context. In this case, the Tweet included a video. In it, Starmer said:

Starmer: "That will have to be negotiated. We will have to have to have a say, but the real point is... because we all want trade agreements, or more trade agreements are we more likely to get them if we do it jointly with the EU or on our own and all the evidence suggests more likely if we do it with the EU..."

Sell out?
Alan Henness

coffee

#66 Post by coffee » February 25th, 2018, 7:35 pm

>>Sell out?<<

I prefer we are completely out.
------

IDS warns UK will be 'outvoted ENDLESSLY' if it remains trapped in EU customs union

BREXITEER Iain Duncan Smith has warned that Britain will lose out if it remains in the customs union after Brexit, with the risk of missing trade opportunities and a high likelihood of being “outvoted endlessly” by the European Union.

By CHARLOTTE DAVIS

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/92383 ... toms-union

Alan H

#67 Post by Alan H » February 25th, 2018, 7:40 pm

coffee wrote:>>Sell out?<<

I prefer we are completely out.
Why? What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
IDS warns UK will be 'outvoted ENDLESSLY' if it remains trapped in EU customs union
Perhaps we should stay in and play a full participatory role in the EU? Just a thought...
Alan Henness

coffee

#68 Post by coffee » February 25th, 2018, 7:53 pm

>>Why? What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?<<

Freedom to make our own way.

Alan H

#69 Post by Alan H » February 25th, 2018, 8:05 pm

coffee wrote:>>Why? What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?<<

Freedom to make our own way.
That's a non answer: we are already free to do an awful lot on our own and also to influence the EU. What are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
Alan Henness

animist

#70 Post by animist » February 26th, 2018, 8:48 am

coffee wrote:"DEBUNKED: Project Fear has taken yet another kicking. Barclays CEO says Brexit's going to be fine for City of London."

"I don’t think Brexit is going to have a significant impact on London as a financial centre."

"Project Fear has just taken another pounding, this time from the CEO of Barclays, who thinks London’s financial hub is going to be absolutely fine post-Brexit.

Jes Staley said: “I don’t think it [Brexit] is going to have a significant impact on London as a financial centre and therefore Barclays."

-----------------------------

@Nigel_Farage: If Brexit is betrayed I’ll be back on frontline – and No More Mr. Nice Guy.

------------------------------

Nigel Farage

Verified account

@Nigel_Farage
6h6 hours ago

"Our political opponents don't believe in the nation state. They don't believe in patriotism or national identity. They want us to live in a world of open borders."
how odd that whenever there is an adverse forecast about the effects of Brexit, the Brexiters line up to say it means nothing. When we get a more favourable opinion, as here, then of course they'll say this must be authoritative. As for Farage, what Mr Nice Guy? Patriotism and national identity can cover a multitude of sins, and no, I do not believe in them - do you, coffee? Are they compatible with humanism?

coffee

#71 Post by coffee » February 26th, 2018, 10:34 am

US trade deals more important post-Brexit, says Jones

By Daniel Davies
BBC Wales political correspondent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43184898

-----------------------

>>>As for Farage, what Mr Nice Guy? Patriotism and national identity can cover a multitude of sins, and no, I do not believe in them - do you, coffee? Are they compatible with humanism?<<<

I am not interested in so much humanism now a day, I only interest what work for me and the UK in general now, I think Humanist UK is a joke.

Alan H

#72 Post by Alan H » February 26th, 2018, 11:34 am

coffee wrote:US trade deals more important post-Brexit, says Jones

By Daniel Davies
BBC Wales political correspondent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43184898
Aww bless... Every single trade deal will be important because they have to replace the massive ones the Tories are tearing up fo some reason or other, but they all have to be negotiated, finalised and put in place. Any idea when that might all be done?
>>>As for Farage, what Mr Nice Guy? Patriotism and national identity can cover a multitude of sins, and no, I do not believe in them - do you, coffee? Are they compatible with humanism?<<<

I am not interested in so much humanism now a day, I only interest what work for me and the UK in general now, I think Humanist UK is a joke.
You've mentioned them before (but IIRC never really explained what the problem you have is) but it's not like some kind of church where all humanists have to fall in line with whatever they say.

But to get back to our previous discussion, what, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU? "Freedom to make our own way", is hardly an answer, is it?
Alan Henness

coffee

#73 Post by coffee » February 26th, 2018, 11:46 am

'This is their position TODAY' Tory MP ridicules Labour's 'Hokey Cokey' Brexit policy

A CONSERVATIVE MP has ripped into the Labour Party for its mooted decision to try to keep the UK in a customs union with the EU after Britain has cut ties with Brussels.

By DARREN HUNT

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/92408 ... h-Sky-News

Alan H

#74 Post by Alan H » February 26th, 2018, 11:52 am

coffee wrote:'This is their position TODAY' Tory MP ridicules Labour's 'Hokey Cokey' Brexit policy

A CONSERVATIVE MP has ripped into the Labour Party for its mooted decision to try to keep the UK in a customs union with the EU after Britain has cut ties with Brussels.

By DARREN HUNT

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/92408 ... h-Sky-News
But it's the Tories who are in power (just), but I find it hilarious that a Tory feels able to criticise anyone else's Brexit policy! Remember that Theresa May is only going to get round to telling us what Brexit actually means this Friday - two years after the referendum campaign.

This sums it all up, doesn't it?
screenshot-tweetdeck.twitter.com-2018-02-26-11-48-49-156.png
screenshot-tweetdeck.twitter.com-2018-02-26-11-48-49-156.png (716.34 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
Alan Henness

Nick

#75 Post by Nick » February 26th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Alan H wrote:
coffee wrote:To Alan H

Yes, I can see it's from a Twitter account, but it would be good to be able to see the whole Tweet and understand the context. In this case, the Tweet included a video. In it, Starmer said:

Starmer: "That will have to be negotiated. We will have to have to have a say, but the real point is... because we all want trade agreements, or more trade agreements are we more likely to get them if we do it jointly with the EU or on our own and all the evidence suggests more likely if we do it with the EU..."

Sell out?
So, Starmer thinks the EU will negotiate a suitable deal, eh? When all the evidence seems to be going the other way? We can have all the "say" we want,, but the EU just aint listening. As for trade agreements, the EU has been spectacularly unsuccessful at achieving them, but quite successful in harming the developing world by impeding trade, and pushing up prices for the many. Furthermore, Starmer's plan accounts for less than 20% of the UK economy, but manages to block any agreements for the other 80%. We are more likely to get trade agreements with countries around the world as an independent nation. The major threat to that is the EU, seeking to prevent them, because it harms their stifling restrictive practices, which have thrown millions ot of work.

Meanwhile, Italy begins to bubble, with the electorate seeking solutions from the loony, because they can't get it from the establishment.

Nick

#76 Post by Nick » February 26th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Alan H wrote:You've been reading the Daily Fail, haven't you?
Pathetic, Alan. Really pathetic. :sad2:

Alan H

#77 Post by Alan H » February 26th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Nick wrote:
Alan H wrote:You've been reading the Daily Fail, haven't you?
Pathetic, Alan. Really pathetic. :sad2:
:hilarity:
Alan Henness

animist

#78 Post by animist » February 26th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Nick wrote:
Alan H wrote:
coffee wrote:@Jacob_Rees_Mogg and the ERG's demands:

✅We should be able to set tariffs
✅Be able to make our own laws
✅We need to plan for global trading
✅Start trade talks before we leave
✅Negotiate as an equal, not be cowed
✅Not let Remainers use implementation period to delay Brexit
To what benefit?

1) So that we have cheaper imports, which not only help us, but also the exporting countries, especially the developing world.

2) Because they are more likely to suit our own tastes and needs, besides being more democratic

5) If someone is pulling your hair, you have two options, to comply with whatever they want, or to be free of the hair-puller. The EU is behaving in a nastiy bullying way, exuding threats, not conciliation.

6) Because, having taken the decision to leave, the longer the implementation period, the longer the period of uncertainty.
1) yes, we can set tariffs, but I thought that you and the more avant-garde Brexiters are against tariffs? 2) we make most of our laws, and do you know of many laws passed by the EU against our will? 3) FFS, the EU is already into global trading - not perfectly so, I grant, but would you trust ignorati like Davis and Fox to do a better job? Be honest 4) well, I doubt that many countries will want to do deals with a maverick gang like Brexit UK before they know what its trade relations with its bereaved partners are 5) pure ego, we are not equals 6) a smokescreen, and it is surely to get these major changes right rather than worrying about delays? What is the rush?

Alan H

#79 Post by Alan H » February 26th, 2018, 1:37 pm

animist wrote:
Nick wrote:
Alan H wrote:To what benefit?

1) yes, we can set tariffs, but I thought that you and the more avant-garde Brexiters are against tariffs? 2) we make most of our laws, and do you know of many laws passed by the EU against our will? 3) FFS, the EU is already into global trading - not perfectly so, I grant, but would you trust ignorati like Davis and Fox to do a better job? Be honest 4) well, I doubt that many countries will want to do deals with a maverick gang like Brexit UK before they know what its trade relations with its bereaved partners are 4) pure ego, we are not equals 6) a smokescreen, and it is surely to get these major changes right rather than worrying about delays? What is the rush?
Thanks, animist.
Alan Henness

Nick

#80 Post by Nick » February 26th, 2018, 3:26 pm

animist wrote:
Nick wrote:
Alan H wrote:To what benefit?

1) yes, we can set tariffs, but I thought that you and the more avant-garde Brexiters are against tariffs?
That's my whole point! We do not have to impose tariffs, just because the EU says we must.
2) we make most of our laws, and do you know of many laws passed by the EU against our will?
How about changing our mind? Like free movement, say. We are not allowed to- it's just one way traffic. Or how about setting rules which suit us better? Like changing farming subsidies and the rules round fishing quotas?
3) FFS, the EU is already into global trading - not perfectly so, I grant,
Very imperfectly. No trade deal with USA, India or China, and no sign of any. Furthermore, the EU's instinct is protectionist. The do not want freer trade, do they? They are even scared of little old Blighty changing their tax rules during transition.
but would you trust ignorati like Davis and Fox to do a better job? Be honest
Honestly, yes. Now then, do you honestly think Corbyn woud be better? Be honest! :wink:
4) well, I doubt that many countries will want to do deals with a maverick gang like Brexit UK before they know what its trade relations with its bereaved partners are
As we will no longer be part of the EU, why should that matter? We can negotiate to our mutual advantage. Or areyou saying the the EU may threaten them into giving us a worse deal? That wouldn't surprise me.
5) pure ego, we are not equals
So bullying is OK, is it?
6) a smokescreen, and it is surely to get these major changes right rather than worrying about delays? What is the rush?
There's a balance to be struck, of course, but in general, business hates uncertainty. Even if changes affect them adversely, they can at least plan in a positive way, rather than waiting for unknown change.

coffee

#81 Post by coffee » February 26th, 2018, 5:39 pm

BREXIT U-TURN Project Fear gets another kicking as gloomy forecasts set to be reversed

The Office for Budget Responsibility will backtrack on their forecast thanks to the resilient economy in wake of the Brexit vote

By Andy Jehring
26th February 2018

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5670460/e ... ck-brexit/

----------------------

PAY TO STAY Jeremy Corbyn speech: Labour leader says Britain should hand over millions to EU so we can stay closely tied to Brussels after Brexit

Jeremy Corbyn said Britain should stay in a customs union with the EU as he made a speech on Brexit in Coventry

By Hugo Gye, Natasha Clark and Alain Tolhurst
26th February 2018, 10:52 amUpdated: 26th February 2018, 12:23 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5672634/j ... oms-union/