INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Lessons from history

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Compassionist

Lessons from history

#1 Post by Compassionist » December 17th, 2019, 9:52 pm

I am sharing this because this history is not taught in the U.K. I am totally against revenge. In fact, I have saved many British lives by donating blood many times in the U.K. and will continue to donate blood here. I will also continue to donate money to charity and volunteer for charity because I am committed to saving lives and relieving suffering. We must not repeat the horrors of history. We must live and help live, live and love. We must help all, harm none. We must value lives and live by love.

In 1617, the British King James offered love and friendship to Mughal emperor Jahangir. Jahangir returned love and friendship to the British King James. Below is Emperor Jahangir's letter to King James:
When your Majesty shall open this letter let your royal heart be as fresh as a sweet garden. Let all people make reverence at your gate; let your throne be advanced higher; amongst the greatness of the kings of the prophet Jesus, let your Majesty be the greatest, and all monarchies derive their counsel and wisdom from your breast as from a fountain, that the law of the majesty of Jesus may revive and flourish under your protection.

The letter of love and friendship which you sent and the presents, tokens of your good affections toward me, I have received by the hands of your ambassador, Sir Thomas Roe (who well deserves to be your trusted servant), delivered to me in an acceptable and happy hour; upon which mine eyes were so fixed that I could not easily remove them to any other object, and have accepted them with great joy and delight.

Upon which assurance of your royal love I have given my general command to all the kingdoms and ports of my dominions to receive all the merchants of the English nation as the subjects of my friend; that in what place so ever they choose to live, they may have free liberty without any restraint; and at what port so ever they shall arrive, that neither Portugal nor any other shall dare to molest their quiet; and in what city so ever they shall have residence, I have commanded all my governors and captains to give them freedom answerable to their own desires; to sell, buy, and to transport into their country at their pleasure.

For confirmation of our love and friendship, I desire your Majesty to command your merchants to bring in their ships of all sorts of rarities and rich goods fit for my palace; and that you be pleased to send me your royal letters by every opportunity, that I may rejoice in your health and prosperous affairs; that our friendship may be interchanged and eternal.

Your Majesty is learned and quick-sighted as a prophet, and can conceive so much by few words that I need write no more. The God of heaven give you and us increase of honour.
It was a mistake because 140 years later, the East India Company used deception, manipulation and violence to begin ruling India from 1757 instead of trading with India. The East India Company forced farmers to grow cash crops instead of food crops so they could get more tax money from the farmers. In 1617, the British East India Company was given tax-exempt status by Jahangir. In return, the British East India Company repaid good with evil and increased its taxes on the people during the famine by four times the original tax which worsened the Great Bengal Famine of 1769 to 1773 in which 10 million people died (one-third of the current population). That was just the beginning of many famines and many murders. Please see this wikipedia entry for more information. Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it. The lesson here is that love can be corrupted through greed. The lesson here is that we live in an evil world where good is repaid with evil. Fortunately, some people are good at repaying evil with good which restores love.

Compassionist

Re: Lessons from history

#2 Post by Compassionist » December 22nd, 2019, 11:35 am

"Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun:

I saw the tears of the oppressed—
and they have no comforter;
power was on the side of their oppressors—
and they have no comforter.

And I declared that the dead,
who had already died,
are happier than the living,
who are still alive.

But better than both
is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil
that is done under the sun."

- Ecclesiastes 4:1 to 3, The Bible (New International Version).