INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Should BNP members be barred from teaching jobs?

For discussions related to education and educational institutions.

Should BNP members be barred from teaching jobs?

Yes
32%
No
64%
Other
4%

Total votes: 25

ASHEd

Re: Should BNP members be barred from teaching jobs?

#61 Post by ASHEd » July 7th, 2010, 1:02 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Marian wrote:
ASHEd wrote:One of my politics lecturers who I hold great respect for once said: "Tolerate the intolerant, but do not tolerate their intolerance". In other words let the people have their views and let those with the views have jobs, but do not let them be the main voice of the government which implements policy.
I agree but only to a point. I think there comes a time when limits are reached. I've included links to Ernst Zundel http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... ust-denial and James Keegstra. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Keegstra
But of course, no one should have tolerated his intolerance here.
He could hold his beliefs but not project them and should have stuck to the curriculum and kept it as neutral as possible.
His intolerance should not have been practiced in the classroom.

ASHEd

Re: Should BNP members be barred from teaching jobs?

#62 Post by ASHEd » July 7th, 2010, 1:06 am

Paolo wrote:There is an assumption here that BNP members who are teachers will be discriminatory with regard to the children they teach and will therefore be unprofessional. This isn't really a fair assumption. The beliefs or opinions of people (however obnoxious) are not equivalent to actions. Unless a teacher acts on their socially unacceptable opinions they should not be penalised. I'm sure there are plenty of teachers who are racist (or sexist or homophobic or otherwise hateful people) but are not members of the BNP and therefore would not get penalised.
Here here.