INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

A Christian Vision for Education in Scottish Schools

For discussions related to education and educational institutions.
Alan H

A Christian Vision for Education in Scottish Schools

#1 Post by Alan H » February 20th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Action of Churches Together in Scotland (ACTS) published a document today: A Christian Vision for Education in Scottish Schools.

Apart from the usual rhetoric (and several typos!), it seems to offer nothing new:
Secular voices are vociferous in their demands for a “religion-free” state education. Some even suggest that education should be “values-free”.
Anyone any suggestions who may be suggesting the latter? :shrug:
In Roman Catholic denominational schools, teachers undertake particular responsibilities - as catechists - to form pupils in a particular faith tradition, according to the wishes of parents and guided by the Church.
It is clear to us that Religious and Moral Education is one area of the curriculum which can provide vital experiences and outcomes for all children. Indeed, we would argue that its role in the curriculum is all the more significant at a time of increasingly diverse attitudes towards religious belief and practice across the world. For, where many young people are not being introduced to religious beliefs and practices and philosophical enquiry at home, where else will they be challenged to consider the ‘great’ questions, about the origins of life and human destiny? How else will they be enabled to consider the Christian traditions of the Scottish nation and the enrichment brought to our society by people of the other great faith traditions? For these reasons, we value the continuing statutory guidance on the provision of religious and moral education and religious observance in
...and there the sentence peters out!
In Roman Catholic denominational schools, which see themselves as ‘communities of faith and learning’, such partnership with the local parish, with the active participation of parents and families, is an essential component in the religious, spiritual and moral formation of young people.
You have to wonder if this is so important for the 'religious, spiritual and moral formation', why the other churches aren't clamouring for the same as the RC church.
Education needs to serve the marginalised and the underprivileged.
That's ripe considering there are a lower proportion of underprivileged children in religious schools than there are in non-denominational schools.
Many school communities have long-established links with local churches, evident in the effective contribution of local religious leaders to the provision of religious observance and worship in schools. We see the strengthening of these links being vital to the healthy development of school education.
Non sequitur alert. Why should these links be a necessary factor in providing 'effective' RO?

I could go on, but all-in-all, this just seems to be a bit of posturing by the various churches, but I do have to wonder what their thinking (if any) was behind the need for this at this juncture.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

Re: A Christian Vision for Education in Scottish Schools

#2 Post by Alan C. » February 20th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Alan H
I could go on, but all-in-all, this just seems to be a bit of posturing by the various churches, but I do have to wonder what their thinking (if any) was behind the need for this at this juncture.
Religion and the Churches are on the back foot I believe, this is why they're grabbing every opportunity to get into the media.
I also believe it's for that same reason that the Christian Institute, go out of their way on a daily basis, looking for perceived cases of Christians being discriminated against in the workplace.
They then give these stories to the Daily Mail, Telegraph et al, and "bingo" religion in the news yet again.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.