INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Pedants' corner

For discussions related to education and educational institutions.
imaginaryfriend

Re: Pedants' corner

#81 Post by imaginaryfriend » February 23rd, 2013, 12:19 am

Latest post of the previous page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21549731

Now this is surreal! Bob Godfrey, animator and creator of the cartoons "Roobarb and Custard", "Henry's Cat" (who the hell was Henry anyway?), and "Noah and Nelly in the Skylark" died yesterday, 2 (or so) days after Richard Briers, the voice of "Noah and Nelly" and "Roobarb and Custard"!
"We all have imaginary friends. I've just grown out of mine". Jimmy Carr.

jaywhat

#82 Post by jaywhat » February 23rd, 2013, 8:13 am

?

animist

#83 Post by animist » February 23rd, 2013, 9:05 am

Lord Muck oGentry wrote: Oh, to hell with it. :) Can't we just say plebiscite?
these are just for plebs :D

Dave B

#84 Post by Dave B » February 23rd, 2013, 9:32 am

imaginaryfriend wrote:
Nick wrote:In reference to "none", my mum recently did an English course and quizzed me on the word "staff". She said that her tutor said that "the staff was reliable" and asked me whether that was correct. It's an awkward one as words like "none", "staff" and "group" refer to more than one but are collective nouns and treated as singular.
If "staff was" is OK can we say something like, "The staff is not happy with the principals decision"?

Anyway, if it is the present members of the faculty who are being described should it not have been, "The staff are reliable"?

English tutors are not always reliable, mine insisted that an apostrophe was required as "teacher's" in the sentence, "The boys ran fast but their teachers ran faster." She also marked "freer" (used as "more free") as wrong in an essay!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

animist

#85 Post by animist » February 23rd, 2013, 9:56 am

Dave B wrote:
imaginaryfriend wrote:
Nick wrote:In reference to "none", my mum recently did an English course and quizzed me on the word "staff". She said that her tutor said that "the staff was reliable" and asked me whether that was correct. It's an awkward one as words like "none", "staff" and "group" refer to more than one but are collective nouns and treated as singular.
If "staff was" is OK can we say something like, "The staff is not happy with the principals decision"?

Anyway, if it is the present members of the faculty who are being described should it not have been, "The staff are reliable"?

English tutors are not always reliable, mine insisted that an apostrophe was required as "teacher's" in the sentence, "The boys ran fast but their teachers ran faster." She also marked "freer" (used as "more free") as wrong in an essay!
English tutorial staff is not always reliable :laughter: "Staff" should surely be used as a plural despite sounding like a singular - we often say "most of the staff" and would surely make this plural? "Government" is another awkward one, but it hangs together a bit more than do the staff, I think

Tetenterre

#86 Post by Tetenterre » February 23rd, 2013, 2:45 pm

Dave B wrote:She also marked "freer" (used as "more free") as wrong in an essay!
Well, if you add the "-er" suffix to "free", you get "freeer". Obvious, innit? :laughter:

As for the "staff" issues, my English teacher drummed into us that the rules of grammar, etc, were there to aid understanding and that they should be broken if doing so made the meaning clearer or if not doing so made the sentence so stylistically ugly that it jarred.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#87 Post by Dave B » February 23rd, 2013, 4:05 pm

So, TT, should "zoology" be "zooology" then :D

I like your English teacher's approach! I was told once that a sentence was any collection of words that imparted meaning of some kind. And this business of not starting with "and" or "but" was just fussy, the usual alternatives, "also" and "however," do not always impart the required mood, especially in speech. If you can say it and it makes sense you can write it as well!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#88 Post by Dave B » February 24th, 2013, 3:21 pm

I think that I have offered the attached before - but since we have new members and it is relevant to recent posts - here it is again.
Attachments
An Ode to English Plurals.doc
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Me, 2015

Nick

#89 Post by Nick » March 10th, 2013, 11:16 am

Dave B wrote:So, TT, should "zoology" be "zooology" then :D
As this is pedants corner, the answer to that is no, Dave. :wink:

The word zoology came before zoo. It comes from zo and ology, not from zoo-ology. the two 'o's in zoology should, in theory, be pronounced separately.

animist

#90 Post by animist » March 10th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Nick wrote:

The word zoology came before zoo. It comes from zo and ology, not from zoo-ology. the two 'o's in zoology should, in theory, be pronounced separately.
you're right, Nick - I went to a quiz recently where a question concerned the meaning of "oology" (the answer is the study of eggs) and the MC pronounced the word to sound a bit like "eulogy". Dave could be right about the study of zoos, though!

Lord Muck oGentry

#91 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » March 10th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Nick wrote:

Zoölogy. :)

I had an English teacher who insisted that it was for words such as this that the diaeresis mark existed. He may have been the last such teacher in the UK, but I have heard a rumour that diaereses are still marked in The New Yorker...
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

jaywhat

#92 Post by jaywhat » March 11th, 2013, 9:22 am

Nick wrote:

Interesting, but there are surely more than two 'o's in the word whichever way it is spelt - :laughter:

Dave B

#93 Post by Dave B » March 11th, 2013, 9:31 am

Nick wrote:

I know, "zoo" is a contraction of "zoological garden" in its meaning as somewhere that animals are kept. But, I suppose, it can be claimed that this is the way language develops and expands, contraction do become words in the own right after decades of usage, "tin" for "tin(ned) can" as opposed to the metal etc.
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#94 Post by jaywhat » March 15th, 2013, 11:45 am

gadzooks

Dave B

#95 Post by Dave B » March 15th, 2013, 5:13 pm

jaywhat wrote:gadzooks
And Odd's bodkins to you mate! :D
Me, 2015

Fia

#96 Post by Fia » March 15th, 2013, 10:12 pm

If gads have zoos what's the K for? Potassium?

jaywhat

#97 Post by jaywhat » March 16th, 2013, 7:21 am

perhaps he was hooked on something!

Ken H

#98 Post by Ken H » December 17th, 2013, 3:33 am

For some "fun"...
"Blog" of "unnecessary" quotes

Don't miss the "Greatest Hits" on the right side menu.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

thundril

#99 Post by thundril » January 27th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Here's a fine riposte to pedantry.

Dave B

#100 Post by Dave B » January 27th, 2014, 7:22 pm

The always brilliant Fry! Thanks for that thunders.

I liked the animation as well.

Won't stop me being a tad pedantic though :D
Me, 2015

thundril

#101 Post by thundril » January 27th, 2014, 7:24 pm

A tad, Dave? What on earth is a tad? some Yankee slang import? Tsk!