INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Future Learn

For discussions related to education and educational institutions.
Dave B

Future Learn

#1 Post by Dave B » March 4th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Anyone else found Future Learn free mini uni courses yet?

Looks interesting, I have signed up for the "Kitchen Chemistry" course and may even have a go at "Getting a Grip on Mathematical Symbolism" if I feel brave enough :wink:
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Ninny

Re: Future Learn

#2 Post by Ninny » March 5th, 2014, 8:14 am

I've signed up for Kitchen Chemistry too! Already done one FutureLearn course and now in the middle of a Coursera chemistry course, which has been mindblowingly excellent. So many free courses available now!

Nick

#3 Post by Nick » March 5th, 2014, 11:54 am

I heard about this on the radio the other day. I think it's excellent, but it seems to be making the universities squirm. (Which IMO is, on the whole, a good thing).

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » March 5th, 2014, 2:45 pm

The duration of the courstake on a full time courses makes them not a lot more than a taster I think - a chance to see if the subject grabs you enough to take on a full one. Or as a prep for doing so maybe.

Apart from being a chance for the likes of us to do a bit of brain work it could be a good recruiting gimmick! I have not read the whole blurb yet to see if you get brownie points towards a degree course.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Ninny

#5 Post by Ninny » March 6th, 2014, 8:42 am

Recruiting, up to a point. But the chemistry course I am doing at the moment is pretty intense and very hard work, so whatever their motives I am getting a huge amount out of it. And there's no chance of my signing up to do a course at Duke!

coffee

#6 Post by coffee » March 6th, 2014, 9:31 am

Thanks Dave, it could become very useful for me in the future.

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » March 6th, 2014, 9:48 am

Ninny wrote:Recruiting, up to a point. But the chemistry course I am doing at the moment is pretty intense and very hard work, so whatever their motives I am getting a huge amount out of it. And there's no chance of my signing up to do a course at Duke!
Well, sounds like a good way to sift the merely interested from the dedicated! And, swings and roundabouts - if only a small % of adult takers-up on the courses can or do actually go on to do the real thing then they may be getting quality learners. And quality learners may lead to quality graduates, more kudos and better funding.

Don't forget that unis have to be commercial enterprises these days and thus have to resort to commercial strategies. Unless there are papers to be moderated these courses can't cost a great deal for individual unis to actually run.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » October 8th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Download 100 Free Philosophy Courses and Start Living the Examined Life
The Philosophy section of our big Free Online Courses collection just went through another update, and it now features 100 courses. Enough to give you a soup-to-nuts introduction to a timeless discipline. You can start with one of several introductory courses.

Philosophy for Beginners – iTunes – Web Video – Marianne Talbot, Oxford
Critical Reasoning for Beginners - iTunes Video – iTunes Audio – Web Video – Oxford
A Romp through Ethics for Complete Beginners – iTunes Video – Web Video – Oxford
Introduction to Political Philosophy – YouTube – iTunes – Web Video – Steven B. Smith, Yale
The Art of Living – Web Video – Stanford
The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps - Multiple Formats– Peter Adamson, King’s College London
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?