INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Keeping creationism out of schools in Scoland

For discussions related to education and educational institutions.
Paul Braterman

Keeping creationism out of schools in Scoland

#1 Post by Paul Braterman » June 21st, 2014, 4:35 pm

Recent welcome developments in England stop at the border. Scottish Secular Society are therefore drafting a petition to Scottish Parliament to bar creationism from schools: more at http://wp.me/p21T1L-gm

Comments welcome, especially suggestions of possible supporters, and information about actual creationist activity in Scottish schools (email me private information. I'm easy to find. All identifying details will be kept confidential)

Fia

Re: Keeping creationism out of schools in Scoland

#2 Post by Fia » June 21st, 2014, 7:23 pm

Glad you opened this Paul. I have been pointing out on many f/b posts about the UK banning creationism that we in Scotland haven't actually done it yet :redface:

In my part of rural N Scotland I have no experience to report. I do however think it's essential that we follow the lead of Westminster on this issue. Please keep us posted, and I'll share your informative link for others to understand why this is important.

Fia

#3 Post by Fia » June 21st, 2014, 7:51 pm

And this is the sort of nonsense that has no place any any civilised society.

If any non Brits are reading this thread it would be interesting to hear your perspective...

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » June 21st, 2014, 10:35 pm

Fia wrote:And this is the sort of nonsense that has no place any any civilised society.

If any non Brits are reading this thread it would be interesting to hear your perspective...
What utter crap! What science?!
Attachments
Bib origin.JPG
Bib origin.JPG (22.82 KiB) Viewed 10209 times
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » June 24th, 2014, 1:29 am

Slightly off topic, but a great idea!

Grandmother Fish: a child’s first book of evolution

Donate online to help get this book published. Pay particular attention to the $250 donation option - well worth reading!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

lewist

#6 Post by lewist » June 24th, 2014, 7:56 am

Chipped in $25. I like the concept.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » July 23rd, 2014, 1:40 pm

I'll add this here since it's the most recent discussion of creationism: Creationist Ken Ham calls to end space program because aliens are going to hell anyway
“Life did not evolve but was specially created by God, as Genesis clearly teaches. Christians certainly shouldn’t expect alien life to be cropping up across the universe,” he continued. “Now the Bible doesn’t say whether there is or is not animal or plant life in outer space. I certainly suspect not.”

But regardless of whether there was life in outer space, Ham asserted that it could not be truly “intelligent.”

“You see, the Bible makes it clear that Adam’s sin affected the whole universe. This means that any aliens would also be affected by Adam’s sin, but because they are not Adam’s descendants, they can’t have salvation,” he explained. “Jesus did not become the ‘GodKlingon’ or the ‘GodMartian’! Only descendants of Adam can be saved. God’s Son remains the ‘Godman’ as our Savior.”

Friendly Atheist blogger Hemant Mehta called Ham’s quest to end the space program “a new low even for him.”

“Jesus Christ, Ken Ham is talking about the eternal damnation of alien life forms,” Mehta wrote. “They’re all going to hell, apparently, and why go in search of life on other planets if they’re all doomed to a lake of fire?”
No intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe? Depends on what you use as your benchmark...
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » July 23rd, 2014, 2:03 pm

Certainly no intelligent life in Ken Ham!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

lewist

#9 Post by lewist » July 25th, 2014, 8:50 am

The wording of the petition will be difficult, as the Curriculum here is not governed by statute. In England all it needs is an alteration to law or regulation. To do that here would be most unusual. The matter does need to be addressed, however.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

animist

#10 Post by animist » July 25th, 2014, 9:28 am

“Jesus Christ, Ken Ham is talking about the eternal damnation of alien life forms,” Mehta wrote. “They’re all going to hell, apparently, and why go in search of life on other planets if they’re all doomed to a lake of fire?”
actually, suppose that the "Alien" premise is correct, then Hell for us would be populated by these happy "damned" nasties! (I got this thought from C. S. Lewis's joke that hell for humans might be heaven for mosquitos)

Alan H

#11 Post by Alan H » August 7th, 2014, 11:23 pm

We've got several threads now about this, but to save sticking in Ifty's thread, I'll place it ehre:

Toddlers at risk of extremism, warns Education Secretary
Nurseries are at risk of being taken over by religious extremists, the Education Secretary will warn as she announces that toddlers are to be taught “fundamental British values”.

In her first major policy announcement, Nicky Morgan will say that local authorities will be obliged to use new powers to strip nurseries of their funding if they are found to “promote extremist views”.

She will also say that toddlers should be taught “fundamental British values in an age-appropriate way” as part of a drive to protect children from religious radicals.

Nurseries that teach creationism as scientific fact will be ineligible for taxpayer funding, under the new rules.

Mrs Morgan’s announcement comes in the wake of the “Trojan Horse” plot by Islamist radicals to take over state schools in Birmingham.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » August 7th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Cracking layout of the Torygraph's front page on this:
2014-08-07_23h45_57.png
2014-08-07_23h45_57.png (365.89 KiB) Viewed 10109 times
Alan Henness

Altfish

#13 Post by Altfish » November 2nd, 2014, 9:41 am

getreal

#14 Post by getreal » November 2nd, 2014, 7:16 pm

That is extremely worrying.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Altfish

#15 Post by Altfish » November 12th, 2014, 9:38 am

Alan H

#17 Post by Alan H » December 19th, 2014, 11:06 am

From the Herald article linked to:
The evidence available suggests that guidance on these matters is unnecessary.
Alan Henness

Altfish

#18 Post by Altfish » December 19th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Exactly :deadhorse:

Altfish

#19 Post by Altfish » January 22nd, 2015, 12:33 pm

Another update from the Daily Record

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local ... sm-5017338

Alan H

#20 Post by Alan H » February 4th, 2015, 11:39 am

Slightly off topic, but: Noah's Ark park officials plan to sue Kentucky
The group seeking to build a Noah's Ark theme park in Kentucky said Tuesday it will file a federal discrimination lawsuit against the state for rejecting its application for tax incentives to help finance the park.

Tourism officials in December denied tax incentives worth roughly $18 million for the Ark Encounter — a biblical theme park to include a 510-foot-long wooden ship — over concerns that it had evolved from a tourist attraction to an effort to advance a religion and that developers planned to discriminate in hiring based on religion.
Alan Henness