INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Tackling homophobia in schools

For discussions related to education and educational institutions.
Alan H

Tackling homophobia in schools

#1 Post by Alan H » February 4th, 2015, 10:37 am

Teachers would be trained to tackle homophobic bullying under Labour
He said: “The use of homophobic language and other forms of homophobic bullying is damaging the life chances of so many young people … There is no place for it in our society – and never should it be ignored in our schools.”

Under the plan, age-appropriate sex and relationships education will become compulsory in all schools, including in academies and free schools, which are currently exempt.

Hunt said Labour would promote mental health services for young people who had been victims of homophobia and said a “toolkit” of national best practice would be made available to all schools.
The really damning thing is that SRE is not already compulsory in all schools and Free Schools and Academies are free to teach what they want. It would also be good to bring back citizenship education.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: Tackling homophobia in schools

#2 Post by Dave B » February 4th, 2015, 11:19 am

I certainly agree that citizenship education is necesary. Most of my friends did a pretty good job of instilling a sense of social responsibilty in their kids but I see Some evidence that many parents only instill enough (via shouting and minor violence usually) to give them time and quiet to watch their TV.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015