INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Our very own countdown thread!

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
jaywhat

Re: Our very own countdown thread!

#2881 Post by jaywhat » August 19th, 2009, 10:24 am

Latest post of the previous page:

997 335

I bet the next post will mention Sarah and the one after that Morag !

:laughter:

Alan C.

#2882 Post by Alan C. » August 19th, 2009, 9:23 pm

jaywhat, not only are you wrong about the next post, but you are also taking us up instead of down, I believe the correct number is now.
getreal
I hope she has tales to share when she gets back
You might enjoy the story that accompanied the photo's.
Hello folks,
I'm up at the top of the world again, Prudhoe Bay Alaska, as far north as you can go without getting your feet wet........

GPB DAILY HSE & FIELD ADVISORY REPORT

Thursday, January 22, 2009
Temperature: -13°F, Wind chill: -36° F, Winds: NE at 14 mph

Thought i'd drop a note, let you know what exciting things I'm up to.............. well that's it folks, bye. HeeHee

It's not quite that bad but it is cold, dark, cold, dark and cold up here on the top of the world...
I'm in the office early to late and after that i get quite good reception in the slum I'm staying at! Well it's not too bad but it's a shared room with only a curtain separating us and a shared bathroom 5 miles down the hall - well that's what it feels like at 4.30am......

Saw a red fox yesterday, a first for me, I've only seen the wee arctic foxes up till now, very little else on the go apart from the odd raven or two. How they do it I don't know. I keep expecting then to just drop out of the sky frozen but they don't seem to notice the cold. I just learnt today that they stop flying at around -50 F as their eyeballs freeze up with the wind chill - wow, that's hardy.

It starts to get light about 10.00am and we lose the light again starting around 3.00pm , the sun is a huge red fiery ball and blinds us on the way to lunch each day. At least it is getting up above the horizon now and I think we're gaining around 8 min a day of day light, in Feb they can gain from 11-15 min a day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well Tuesday was bitterly cold, -30F and -60F with the wind chill - now that's cold, my jeans freeze the second your out the door and you know the headache you get with icecream when you eat it too fast? well, that's what you get on your face and head when walking into the wind ouch! nasty. You have to be very careful about de-hydration up here, it happens real fast and you don't get thirsty like you do in the heat. The first time I came up here i thought my head was going to explode and they were going to have to medi-vac me out. I got about 2 hours sleep, not a nice evening but a good lesson... the temp varies on a day to day basis as much as 40 degrees, today is milder only about -20 - this is all in Fahrenheit by the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Thursday, I'm nearly through my 2 week stint - yipeeeee. It's gone quite quickly and not been too bad at all. I'm drinking plenty (unfortunately only water) and only 2 cups of weak coffee in a day - mind you, yesterday I had 3 cos I wasn't concentrating...

I would really struggle with more than 2 weeks tho, it's getting more difficult to get up each day - I love my long lie on a Sunday.
The temp isn't as cold today - hmmm just checked it and it's 10 degrees colder than it was yesterday at -28, but the difference is that it wasn't so windy, my trousers didn't freeze to my legs the second I got out the door to start the truck, it took about 5 min.

I've been driving this Massive Testosterone Injected Truck that you need a step ladder to get into and has about a 5.9 ltr engine. The other morning it was parked up and there was a wee snowdrift around it, well, the stupid useless thing couldn't get out of it, I tried rocking it back and fore to get some movement - much easier to do in a manual than automatic - but it wouldn't shift. Even my wee Rav4 at home would have laughed at the snowdrift I was trying to get out of. I went out and cleared snow from behind the wheels of the stupid thing and tried again. By this time I'm calling it all the bleepity bleep names I could think of, "Big American Super-sized, Supercharged, Super Truck that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding!!!" A guy saw that I was having problems and came over and asked if I was in 4 wheel drive and I told him yes (thinking "I'm not completely blonde") it was even in 4x4 Low. He pops into the passenger seat and just checks for himself (me being blonde and all) then asks if I've a flashlight, luckily there was one in the glove compartment and he disappeared back out into the blizzard with it. A moment later he appears at my window and says try it now. NOW it works like it should and drove out of the snowdrift like it wasn't even there........ Turns out the front wheels weren't locked in place so although the switch was on and it was showing 4x4 it was still only in 2wd. I thanked my knight in shining armour (well, carharts - a make of fire-proof work wear everybody wears up here) most profusely. Now it drives like a big American Super-sized, Supercharged, Super Truck!

I told Ally the story and he (being a boy) wants pictures of the truck, I said I'd get them to him but that it's a Ford. He sent me back this, which made me giggle.

F ails
O n
R uddy
D rifts

I'll attach some fotos but they aren't of now, just add a blanket of snow and a howling wind to imagine what it looks like at the moment. lol
Love to all
Speak soon

Mo
This is a pic of the Massive Testosterone Injected Truck.
Bears on pickup.jpg
Bears on pickup.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#2883 Post by getreal » August 19th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Wow! Sounds really exciting!

Are the bears naturally brown or are they dirty?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#2884 Post by Alan C. » August 19th, 2009, 10:15 pm

getreal wrote:Wow! Sounds really exciting!

Are the bears naturally brown or are they dirty?
Are you having a laugh?
It's difficult to tell if you don't use the appropriate emoticons.
There are actually more brown bears in Alaska than there are polar bears.
And the number should now be...........

Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Fia

#2885 Post by Fia » August 19th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Someone should have taken jaywhat's bet :)
Just spent far too much time TH-ing rather than getting on with what I should do. Ah well, too late now, 7am start in the next village up the valley tomorrow... Night night :sleep:

jaywhat

#2886 Post by jaywhat » August 20th, 2009, 6:19 am

Fia wrote:997,327

Someone should have taken jaywhat's bet :)
Just spent far too much time TH-ing rather than getting on with what I should do. Ah well, too late now, 7am start in the next village up the valley tomorrow... Night night :sleep:
Clearly my point was missed because I am too clever by far!

Fia had missed 335 so i put it in and pretended i was foretelling the next posts. Clearly I need to get a life (if there's time) and Fia needs more sleep. As for Alan C. he is better off digging in his patch rather than at my postings Ha ha :laughter: getreal missed a number and I am now going to stop worrying about the numbers on this bloody annoying thread :hilarity:

:penguin: :deadhorse:

lewist

#2887 Post by lewist » August 20th, 2009, 10:29 am

997,325 if that's right. Numbers are becoming an illusion and we should perhaps be using a bistromathic drive to run the forum anyway.

Anyway, good morning all! It's absolutely chucking it down here this morning but I have Radio 3 coming through the ether and plan to sort out various things on my day off, mainly completing the laundry, tidy up and cursory clean after the TH weekend when the weather was reasonable, unlike today. That will make me feel virtuous and dead good. :smile:

There are also lurking piles of paper to sort out and they shouldn't be left too long because there may be important things there. On the other hand, perhaps I can throw most of it out. :idea2:
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Nick

#2888 Post by Nick » August 20th, 2009, 10:37 am

There is a theory that you can chuck any paperwork away, on the basis that a) the sender will have kept a copy and b) that if it's important enough, they will send you another copy anyway.

I've never had the courage to follow that advice.....

Fia

#2889 Post by Fia » August 20th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Nor me, Nick :boohoo: Whilst not getting enough sleep i heard, on the BBC world service, a researcher/programmer from the microsoft corp who has spent the last 7 years scanning every scrap of personal paper and working out ways of filing it digitally. His lifes' real paper was apparently only 2 slim files...

I not only wondered what interesting things he could have done rather than scanning every last receipt, but also just how many back-ups you'd want of that to feel comfortable?

lewist

#2890 Post by lewist » August 21st, 2009, 8:47 am

My Rock 'n Roll tour manager elder son (presently en route from Rotterdamm to the Pukkelpop Festival in Hasselt before doing both V festivals at the weekend with an American band called the Gay Blades) once worked for Edinburgh Council scanning documents for the archive. It drove him nuts, being the most soul destroying job he ever did.

It was all to do with not storing paper, but some minimum wage slave had to scan every page of it and convert it to *.pdf files.

Zoe

#2891 Post by Zoe » August 22nd, 2009, 9:58 am

I'm getting depressed just reading about it. I think I'd rather work in a sewage farm.

Maria wrote:
Thanks. Nobody got me any cake.
Before Maria milks too much sympathy, I should point out that the tradition is for Maria (or whoever is celebrating their saint's day) to provide cake to everyone else. :twisted:

lewist

#2892 Post by lewist » August 22nd, 2009, 2:31 pm

Very interesting, Zoe! Ok, Where's Maria?

...on second thoughts, I think I still have some of the beer Maria and Alan brought in my fridge.

Hundovir

#2893 Post by Hundovir » August 22nd, 2009, 3:22 pm

All right, I've tried links and things, but...

What exactly was the schism between HSS and TH about?

Thanks.

jaywhat

#2894 Post by jaywhat » August 23rd, 2009, 7:16 am

I think it was schism that started TH.

lewist

#2895 Post by lewist » August 27th, 2009, 7:45 pm

I have some very important information to impart about our dear friend AlanC.

Alan has had no internet connection since Tuesday. He is feeling very cut off and Orange (his provider) are being about as effective as a chocolate fireguard.

Nick

#2896 Post by Nick » August 27th, 2009, 10:55 pm

:boohoo:

While Alan's away, the theists will play.....

jaywhat

#2897 Post by jaywhat » August 28th, 2009, 7:36 am

Sorry for Alan.
I guess an Orange is too much for one of his carrier pidgeons to manage all the way to that island.

Nick

#2898 Post by Nick » August 28th, 2009, 8:37 am

On the other hand O2 could just blow across.....

lewist

#2899 Post by lewist » August 28th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Please let's not make fun of our afflicted friend in Shetland, Nick. Hasn't he got his connection back yet?

It's cold here today. I lit the fire this evening and it was lovely.

Fia

#2900 Post by Fia » August 28th, 2009, 10:32 pm

When i talked to Alan last night he was going to give Orange severe ear drilling today if he still wasn't connected. Wouldn't like to be the poor call centre person to deal with that :D

It's chilly and windy here too so the stove is on so I'll have hot water tomorrow - yippee :)

lewist

#2901 Post by lewist » August 29th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Just spoke to Alan. He is still offline but BT have fixed a fault and Orange are sending him a new box so things are looking hopeful for midweek. He is very frustrated by the lack of internet but sends best wishes to TH pals.