INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Season of Peace and Goodwill?

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
pantodragon

Season of Peace and Goodwill?

#1 Post by pantodragon » December 23rd, 2013, 3:28 pm

Anyone on this forum not enjoyed Christmas? Anyone on this forum punched their Granny’s lights out at Christmas? Anyone on this forum punched their kids’ lights out? Anyone on this forum punched their husband’s/wife’s/uncle’s/aunt’s/…… lights out at Christmas? Anyone on this forum had their own lights punched out by any of the above at Christmas?

Anyone on this forum claim to have been neither a victim nor a bully at Christmas? Yes? I don’t believe you! The police statistics are against you.

Alan H

Re: Season of Peace and Goodwill?

#2 Post by Alan H » December 23rd, 2013, 4:14 pm

pantodragon wrote:Anyone on this forum claim to have been neither a victim nor a bully at Christmas? Yes? I don’t believe you! The police statistics are against you.
What police statistics?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » December 23rd, 2013, 4:44 pm

This appears to be your stupidest OP yet, Pants!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

pantodragon

#4 Post by pantodragon » December 23rd, 2013, 5:12 pm

Dave B wrote:This appears to be your stupidest OP yet, Pants!
I find in your case, Dave B, that a kind of reverse psychology is applicable so that your criticisms are compliments and your compliments criticisms. I am, therefore, flattered.

pantodragon

#5 Post by pantodragon » December 23rd, 2013, 5:16 pm

Alan H wrote:
pantodragon wrote:Anyone on this forum claim to have been neither a victim nor a bully at Christmas? Yes? I don’t believe you! The police statistics are against you.
What police statistics?

Oh c'mon Alan H, everybody knows! It's a commonplace! Just go down to your local hospital and see the casualty department on Christmas Day --- far better than reading statistics which everyone knows (another commonplace) are used for lying! It's getting so that Christmas Day rivals New Year's Day. If I told you you had 5 fingers you'd demand proof!!!! I'll show you 2 of mine if you like!!!! I might even show you them if you don't like!

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » December 23rd, 2013, 5:55 pm

You'll need to do far better than that, pantopuppy.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » December 23rd, 2013, 5:58 pm

Pants, have you started the season's celebrations early? It might be a good idea if you were to leave off the strong stuff for a day.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#8 Post by getreal » December 23rd, 2013, 7:28 pm

I've worked in the NHS over the festive season. The number of people coming in totally off their face with alcohol increases. As does children having eaten too much/eaten mum's pills/got fingers stuck in new toy. Then the usual heart attacks/strokes, car accidents and illnesses (not everyone coming in to A&E has had an accident.

But then again-that was Glasgow. Maybe we're different up here.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » December 23rd, 2013, 7:46 pm

I doubt it, getreal, it's bad enough on a weekend night in A&E here in terms of self-inflicted injury! Though some of the victims now go to the new small injuries centre the total score can be fairly high.

But Pants seemed to be talking about people bashing one another around - and I am sure that a dgree of that goes on ... but nothing nothing like the amount she implies I would guess. To her we are all raving nutters intent on bashing our nearest and dearest to a mass of bruises.

Since Pants is so reluctant to offer hard evidence that her theory has any basis it can be effectively ignored so far as I am concerned. Though I have heard that Christmas is one of the high seasons for suicide and divorce, mainly due to the failure of totally artificial expectations that some place on the season and that the commercial concerns are so keen to boost. I have no doubt that domestic violence also peaks at this time for similar reasons but, once again, not to the extent that Pants implies.
Me, 2015

getreal

#10 Post by getreal » December 23rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

well, certainly the number of drunken brawls increases. Some of them are pretty horrific.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

animist

#11 Post by animist » December 23rd, 2013, 9:52 pm

well, I have to sympathise with Panto for whatever reason. I detest Xmas more by the year, not only the suppurating sickening media blitz it brings on but (TBH more relevant) the fact that I have to change my comfortable little routines and buy presents, pretend to enjoy parties, clean up the house in preparation for guests, and yet more - yesterday I even ended up in a happy clappy church for its Nativity puppet show (which, though I hate to admit it, was quite sweet and funny)

Dave B

#12 Post by Dave B » December 23rd, 2013, 10:09 pm

Well, I have to admit that I am happy that I have no relations to consider at Christmas, only a couple of close friends and only one of those with whom I exchange token (but carefully chosen) presents (posh biscuits, a jar of posh jam or relish, fridge magnets, an LED torch etc.) Only about ten cards that I can deliver by hand. I have an invite to tea for the day and another for tea on the following day. The rest of the time is my own and will be spent (apart from roasting a chicken, just for a change) with my usual pursuits.

Oh, and have an invite for Scrabble, Trivial P and drinks for NYE.

No TV to moan at and doubt that the radio will be on much.

Frankly I keep forgetting that Christmas is coming up, it means that much to me. Or I am finally really going senile . . .
Me, 2015

pantodragon

#13 Post by pantodragon » December 27th, 2013, 2:45 pm

getreal wrote:I've worked in the NHS over the festive season. The number of people coming in totally off their face with alcohol increases. As does children having eaten too much/eaten mum's pills/got fingers stuck in new toy. Then the usual heart attacks/strokes, car accidents and illnesses (not everyone coming in to A&E has had an accident.

Sorry, getreal, my mistake. It was not the A&E I should have referred you to but the morgue!

pantodragon

#14 Post by pantodragon » December 27th, 2013, 2:56 pm

In face of the beaming, beatific smiles of the innocents at Think Humanism, the jolly membership that OF COURSE do not experience such nasty things as falling out with family members at Christmas, I googled "domestic violence at christmas" and, guess wgat?, it really DOES seem to be something of a commonplace. I would however say that it is probably mostly the police that are affected by this and, in fact, it was from a policewoman that I heard it --- though it has to be said, she was merely the inspiration to write the piece. How anyone with 2 ears and 2 eyes can be unaware of the family troubles that routinely turn the Season of Goodwill into a Nightmare, I cannot imagine. I really think the people on this forum go around with their eyes and ears closed --- the three wise monkeys: See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil.........

........or is it that if I had eulogised the Season of Goodwill and hailed it as a time of restoring goodwill to troubled families, the membership would have suddenly found a deep rooted belief that Christmas is a time when domestic violence is on the increse!

Ken H

#15 Post by Ken H » December 27th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Is this a game? It's in Club Soda (the game room).
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

pantodragon

#16 Post by pantodragon » December 28th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Ken H wrote:Is this a game? It's in Club Soda (the game room).
No, it was relegated to Club Soda by a hostile management!

Ken H

#17 Post by Ken H » December 28th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Hostile? Hardly. Astute would be a better word.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

pantodragon

#18 Post by pantodragon » December 28th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Ken H wrote:
Hostile? Hardly. Astute would be a better word.
Crawler!

Ken H

#19 Post by Ken H » December 28th, 2013, 6:34 pm

A word game!

Actually, I do enjoy Christmas a bit, even though I'm not religious. I only have fond memories of it, especially family get togethers and lots of good food. I don't recall any bullying or drunkeness at Christmas amongst our family and friends. My relatives never drank much anyway. I guess I'm fortunate in that.

pantodragon

#20 Post by pantodragon » December 30th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Ken H wrote:
Actually, I do enjoy Christmas a bit, even though I'm not religious. I only have fond memories of it, especially family get togethers and lots of good food. I don't recall any bullying or drunkeness at Christmas amongst our family and friends. My relatives never drank much anyway. I guess I'm fortunate in that.
People do blame the demon drink for the ills of Christmas but actually, I think it is the other way round: Christmas would be far worse without it. At least when you're drunk your aim is likely to be out so instead of a fatality, you merely get an injury. And then there are those who are sensible enough to drinkl themselves into a complete stupor so that they know nothing about Christmas until it's over! Oh happy days!!!

You don't recall any bullying or drunkeness? Hmm.......... Perhaps one of your family secretly worked for MiB and did a mind wipe on you all after the bloody noses got out of hand? Maybe you just forgot? Lots of people suffer nostalgic amnesia or are of the "It's a Wonderful World" fraternity and refuse to see anything bad. Maybe the adults performed out of sight of the children.........

.........or maybe YOU were one of the main stirrers, so YOU had a good time, even if nobody else did! Or it could be that family loyalty is so strong that you are in denial and would never admit that any of the domestic troubles happened in YOUR family. Or maybe you do not recognise bad behaviour when you see it --- such a common affliction nowadays. Children run riot and are indulged; adults behave appallingly and it's called "it's just her personality".

You may call me cynical. I just say that I go around with my eyes and ears open.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard's defence of humanity in the court of Q certainly fell short of realistic. One could see the rose-tinted gleam of something catching the light whenever he turned his head. He did love to admit that humanity was flawed, but only in acceptible ways, ways that made humanity all the more endearing and lovable.

I find there is more truth about humanity in the cartoon series The Perishers, though I have to say even that does not plumb the true depths of iniquity to which humanity has sunk. A film such as I Am Legend gets closer to the truth --- at least it does if you turn things around and realise that the hero, Robert Neville, is the romanticised version of humanity and the monsters that lurked in the dark and appeared in the night to rampage, enraged and lusting for blood are the realistic version of humanity.