INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Puzzles

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Dave B

Puzzles

#1 Post by Dave B » April 21st, 2015, 1:07 pm

Try the following, not that hard but I thought them interesting:

7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 70 PROV3 HOW OUR M1ND5 C4N DO 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5!
1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 NOW, ON 7H15 LIN3 YOUR MIND 15 R34D1NG 17 4U70M471C4LLY W17H OU7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4BOU7 17. 83 PROUD! ONLY C3R741N P3OPL3 C4N R3AD 7H15.

and

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what
I was rdanieg . The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid ,
aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde8
Uinervtisy , it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the Itteres in a
word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last
Itteer be in the rghit pclae . The rset can be a taotl mses
and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm . This is bcuseae
the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey Iteter by istlef , but
the word as a wlohe Azanmig, huh? Yaeh, and I
awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt !

The author claims that 0nly 55% can read the last.

I seem to remember that Edward de Bono had ideas about this sort of thing as well.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

animist

Re: Puzzles

#2 Post by animist » April 22nd, 2015, 9:02 pm

certainly these are comforting compared with the other recent puzzle, Cheryl's birthday :smile:

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » April 22nd, 2015, 9:37 pm

animist wrote:certainly these are comforting compared with the other recent puzzle, Cheryl's birthday :smile:
Yeah, I can actually get these right away!

Still a couple of brain cells still active!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » April 23rd, 2015, 12:55 am

Going to try this on my husband and daughter. Both have dyslexia.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » April 23rd, 2015, 10:08 am

getreal wrote:Going to try this on my husband and daughter. Both have dyslexia.
:laughter:

Could be interesting!
Me, 2015

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » April 23rd, 2015, 10:14 pm

My daughter said she had no problem with it whatsoever.

Interestingly, she's excellent at "word search" games and I remember mentioning this to her dyslexia tutor, who said it was not at all uncommon for people with dyslexia to be good at these. She did explain why, but I've forgotten.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Sel

#7 Post by Sel » April 24th, 2015, 2:55 pm

I can read these things with no problems at all. :smile:
Apparently, the brain does not read all of the letters in a word. We simply require the word be the same length and that it begin and end with the correct letters.

Question: Can any of you write both forward and backward with either hand?

I can. :scorepoint:
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » April 24th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Sel wrote:I can read these things with no problems at all. :smile:
Apparently, the brain does not read all of the letters in a word. We simply require the word be the same length and that it begin and end with the correct letters.

Question: Can any of you write both forward and backward with either hand?

I can. :scorepoint:
Through practice or iherent ability, Sel?
Me, 2015

Sel

#9 Post by Sel » April 27th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Dave,
Through both practice and a wee bit of ability. Frequently, when I go to demonstrate writing backwards, I inadvertently discover I have picked up the pen, and am writing with, my left hand. It is weird.

I occasionally catch myself with knife and fork in the wrong hand, staring at them, trying to figure why I cannot cut my meat. LOL

My inability to tell right from left made driving in England easy! Driving yes, navigating not so much. I finally stopped trying to tell my husband to turn left or right and decided on "long turn" and "short turn". If you think about it, the long turn is a left one here and a right one in England.

...and I try to think of myself as normal. :laughter:
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » April 27th, 2015, 6:26 pm

I had a left handed nephew back in the days when schools forced them to use their right hands. He wrote the letters in the right order but, individually, they were mirror image.

"Normal" is, at best, a range.
Me, 2015

Lord Muck oGentry

#11 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » March 28th, 2016, 11:58 pm

A puzzle from the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... gets-wrong
Jack is looking at Anne, but Anne is looking at George. Jack is married, but George is not. Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?
There are no silly tricks here. All three are persons and not animals, for example. And everyone counts as either married or unmarried.

What struck me about the puzzle is that it works just as well for any binary quality as for married/unmarried. And it doesn't matter how many people ( or things ) you add to the string. Suppose, for example, I show you a string of letters, each either A or B, but I obscure everything except the first letter, A, and the last, B. You can't even tell how many letters are in the string. Now, you have to say whether the string contains anywhere an A immediately followed by a B.
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

Dave B

#12 Post by Dave B » March 29th, 2016, 7:03 am

It's always so bloody obvious when . . .
Me, 2015