INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

It is time to become a vegetarian?

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

Re: It is time to become a vegetarian?

#21 Post by gregory » May 31st, 2008, 12:11 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Hi

Yes I think on the whole this subject has been well argued and clarified except perhaps in some places.

It is possible that contributors to this site tforget what was said in previous explainations and they do have (if one believes the assertiveness trainers) the right to ask for more information. i.e the right to ask again which does take the form of a comment sometimes.

I suggest that these questions are asked more than once if the contributor has forgotten the previous answer and that once asked the question is answered politely. I think this is possibly a rational Humanist response to this.

We should try to keep things fairly impersonal except when we want to say something nice about someone which I believe is considered polite. Or if we want to give someone important advice which may save their life that is another reason for being personal.

Re Buddhism it seems to be made up of various things and as far as I know the explaination of the Nirvana thing is correct and the aim to not harm things a good idea within most philosophies. It can be difficult and I do not think anyone is saying it isn't. What we hope for cannot always be achieved today, tomorrow or even next year we can but try.

Re potatos I am all for them not sure if we should concentrate on them quite as much as suggested by some. I live in an area of potato growers so most of them I buy are local except this time of year when they tend to be from Israel or Cyprus.

I think more and more people are trying to grow their own in gardens and plots of land similar to what happened in the war years if they can.
There could maybe be more community education to help people do this and in some places this is happenning where Asian women are growing their own herbs and getting company and maybe English lessons too.

No one wants to see people starve and helping these people with flesh production may be necessary and should be done in the short term It is difficult to judge who is right and who is wrong in terms of the availability of fish stocks. I daresay the answer is somewhere in between.

People who produce meat in the kindest way possible are to be respected as it will be a while before the world will be much different.

We are all learners in this life and we can all learn to get on with each other as best we can respecting our opinions. A bit of friendly banter is quite in order and a bit of catharsis can also be of use in certain instances. Remember though Ask a polite question, Get a polite answer.

(Or if we really want to we could try a good old rude fest???)
There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover

Occam

#22 Post by Occam » June 4th, 2008, 3:44 am

I'm a quasi-vegetarian since I avoid meat whenever I can, but since I often eat at restaruants with groups it's difficult to find anything intelligent without at least chicken or fish.

When I was active in the local Unitarian church (when its members were mostly atheists and agnostics), I was the teen group advisor. Most of them were vegetarians, but when the congregation had potlucks the only things that were vegetarian were pastas and salads. Those adult vegetarians who brought dishes must have had their taste buds shot off in the war. I had never tasted such insipid food, and I find that often applies.

To support my kids (the teens), I developed a number of flavorful recipes that don't use meat or dairy products but a wide variety of flavors. I'd be willing to post some if anyone's interested.

Occam

Edward Hawkins

#23 Post by Edward Hawkins » June 4th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Occam wrote:I'm a quasi-vegetarian since I avoid meat whenever I can, but since I often eat at restaruants with groups it's difficult to find anything intelligent without at least chicken or fish.
Occam
This is because vegetables do not have a central nervous system and therefore possess no inteligence.
Although fish and chickens possess some intelligence, you would be better off eating great apes (especially humans) if you like your food to be intelligent.

Alan H

#24 Post by Alan H » June 4th, 2008, 8:18 pm

:pointlaugh:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Occam

#25 Post by Occam » June 5th, 2008, 12:13 am

Oh my, one must be precise here, mustn't one.
Occam wrote:I'm a quasi-vegetarian since I avoid meat whenever I can, but since I often eat at restaruants with groups it's difficult to find anything intelligent without at least chicken or fish.
I'll try again: I'm a quasi-vegetarian since I avoid meat whenever I can, but since I often eat at restaruants with groups, it's difficult to find any food selection offered on the menu by the management (whom I consider are often unintelligent) without at least chicken or fish as an ingredient.

Does that clarify it for you, Edward? :smile:

Occam

Edward Hawkins

#26 Post by Edward Hawkins » June 5th, 2008, 11:38 am

Occam wrote:Oh my, one must be precise here, mustn't one.

I'll try again: I'm a quasi-vegetarian since I avoid meat whenever I can, but since I often eat at restaruants with groups, it's difficult to find any food selection offered on the menu by the management (whom I consider are often unintelligent) without at least chicken or fish as an ingredient.

Does that clarify it for you, Edward? :smile:

Occam
Not exactly. Are you saying that there are no vegetarian options available?

Occam

#27 Post by Occam » June 5th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Since a simple salad and bread isn't enough for a meal for me, that's precisely what I'm saying.

Occam

Occam

#29 Post by Occam » June 7th, 2008, 2:57 am

Fascinating. I live in the south-west corner of Los Angeles County and almost all of the restaurants in your link are way too far for me. I've done the one is Redondo Beach, and the food is healtful, but rather vapid. I like a Chinese restaurant called The House of Vege, but the people I have meals with won't go to vegetarian places. So, I'm stuck with my original statements.

Occam

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#30 Post by gregory » June 7th, 2008, 10:20 am

Hello Occam

Yes I know it can be difficult and as I do not live anywhere near you it is difficult to be very helpful.

one thing to do is keep asking and eventually the restaurants may catch up.

another thing is try Indian restaurants as most of their food is flavourful and because some Indians are vegetarian the stock in which food is cooked is also often vegetarian althogh it would be best to ask.

If you are not vegan then Pizza is reasonably vegetrian although if you are a purist then the cheese may contain rennet.

If you have recipes then maybe you could pass these on to the restaurants. If you tell them in advance they may provide this.

Another answer is to eat first then the bland and protein poor meal you get at the restaurant will suffice. Tell your friends that you will not eat food that you do not like but you enjoy their company so you will have just a starter, or a soup (or whatever). In Britian some places serve what is called an all day breakfast and vegetarian versions are becoming the norm. I do not know if this is flavourful enough for you. The other idea is to just accept that there just isn't the same variety of vegetarian food available in the world. I have to be very strong when I have to make do with yet another cheese sandwich if I am at a meeting where food is on offer. I cope with this in various ways but one is to eat a peanut butter sandwich before I go. If you have strong vegetarian views then you will tend to ask for vegetarian food in the hopes that the resteraunts comply or otherwise just be glad that the food you eat is good for the planet and the animals and rest on your superior moral fibre.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#31 Post by Maria Mac » June 10th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Key West had a lovely vegetarian restaurant. I hope to goodness it's still there when we go back.

But we had a difficult time finding veggie food for Alan at Disney World in Orlando. Very often we'd look at the menu to see no vegetarian option at all. On asking, we'd be told that the meat/fish in one or dish could be substituted with tofu. It felt really weird - as if vegetarianism was some shameful fetish that would be discreetly indulged on request but they wouldn't want to advertise the fact.

As a meat-eater I wasn't very happy either with the oversized portions. I don't want to eat half a cow in one go and it wasn't like being in Greece where there are always plenty of hungry cats hanging around waiting for your leftovers.

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#32 Post by gregory » June 14th, 2008, 10:36 am

And I thought it was me who started it off!

I got an email today saying that Indians aren't vegetarian because of a religion but because of ethics. I thought my mention of an Indian restaurant on this site had triggered it.

Dont the Americans do beans on toast then or cheese dishes or egg. I thought they were masters of the peanut butter sandwich. When you hear an American ask for a sandwich there seems to be all manner of variaties. Must be different in restaurants then. I have fallen back on just getting the vegetables but then I daresay in some parts of America there are no vegetables just cattle. Glad I haven't been abroad its a lot easier in Scotland. Beware non-organic soya products.

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#33 Post by gregory » June 14th, 2008, 10:54 am

May I suggest that all posts regarding diet are based on helpfulness such as most of the ones above. Maybe a separate Need Help section could be added.

clayto

#34 Post by clayto » June 14th, 2008, 1:37 pm

This may be a good idea gregory ---- I will think about it in the next few days. What do others think? A feature of how this Forum has developed which I am rather pleased with is the blend of debate / argument with helpful info and advice.

Chris
clayto