INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Diet information and advice section

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

clayto

Diet information and advice section

#1 Post by clayto » June 16th, 2008, 8:47 pm

What do people think of the idea of having a separate 'diet info and advice' section (a 'sticky') on this Forum, or are we better as we are? If we do have a separate section do you have suggestions on how it might operate?

Chris
clayto

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

Re: Diet information and advice section

#2 Post by gregory » June 21st, 2008, 10:47 am

I suppose it may be worth a try but then maybe we are okay as we are.

I suggest if we do have a separate advice section we employ a health professional dietician as it can be very complicated. For instance soem people are alergic to peanuts and other things which vegans eat. Also an environmental professional as some foods are grown to the detriment of the environment.
There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover

caira111

#3 Post by caira111 » January 18th, 2009, 11:15 pm

I think this is a awesome idea. I think it would be great if there is special section where we can share all our Vegetarian recipes among each other. honestly speaking right now I can on diet and I am bit frustrated by only eating salads day after day. a nice Vegetarian recipe section will be great.

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » January 18th, 2009, 11:47 pm

:welcome: caira111

There's been a few veggie recipes on here, but a separate thread might be a good idea. You got any good ones for us to start it off?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Paolo

#5 Post by Paolo » January 19th, 2009, 8:21 am

I've been watching my diet since weighing myself and finding the result rather scary.

There's one vegan meal that I've been making that is low in calories, but it's really hearty and it tastes great: a 3-bean chilli.

You need:
onions (2-3)
garlic (6 pods)
3 types of bean (I used tinned black-eyed, kidney and borlotti beans - ones with a firm consistency)
a handful of red split lentils
tomatoes chopped (2 tins) and fresh (as many as you like - cherry or other small types work best)
1 or 2 red/green peppers
2 bay leaves
a large red chilli
a heaped tablespoon of cumin powder
a heaped tablespoon of paprika
a good grind of pepper
a pinch of salt
a vegetable stock cube / teaspoon of cocoa / square of dark chocolate

Feel free to throw in any veg that takes your fancy if you think it will go - celery is pretty good, since it adds bulk and a little flavour but few calories.

Use a decent sized pot, gently fry the chopped onion and garlic in a small drop of olive oil until translucent, throw in the chilli, stir through a few times then add the paprika and cumin. Add a good splash of water (and red wine if you fancy) to stop the spices from burning and stir. Add the chopped tomatoes and red split lentils, stir. Make sure there is enough moisture to cook the lentils (they should be just covered by the sauce). Add the stock cube (or chocolatey alternative) and peppers. Leave to simmer for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the fresh tomatoes, beans and bay leaves, perhaps a splash of lemon/lime juice and a pinch of salt. Stir, leave to simmer for another 10 minutes.

Serve with rice, salad or some thick slices of crusty bread.

Obviously the wine and chocolate can be left out if those extra few calories are too scary to contemplate... they do make it taste good though!

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » January 19th, 2009, 2:49 pm

For the chocolate in Paolo's recipe, can I recommend you use 100% Cacao, I have a block of Venezuelan Black and it does make a great addition to quite a few recipes.
You buy it in a cylindrical block and it's hard as ebony so you need to grate it, problem is, I think it's only available in Sainsbury, (Mary got one of the travelling men to bring it up for us)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

clayto

#7 Post by clayto » January 23rd, 2009, 4:55 pm

Hello caira111 and welcome. I hope your support for this idea bears fruit (no pun intended) and recipes are served up here. If they are I will see if we can make it a 'sticky' permanent section.

Unfortunately I am unlikely to offer recipes myself, as some will know we largely live on tinned, chilled / frozen, dried, vacuum packed ready meals! But I will enquire if the 'Tested and Tasty' Vegetarian Recipe CD produced by HVG member and BHA Celebrant Alison Orchard is still available.

Chris
clayto

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » January 23rd, 2009, 5:45 pm

Alan C. wrote:For the chocolate in Paolo's recipe, can I recommend you use 100% Cacao
Does anyone know the name of an alternative to chocolate? I've used it in the past, but can't remember what it's called. It's available as a powder that is very tasty and which I've used it in sponge pudding that my kids loved. It's also available in snack-type bars.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Emma Woolgatherer

#9 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » January 23rd, 2009, 7:55 pm

carob

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » January 23rd, 2009, 8:41 pm

That's it! Thanks, Emma.
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#11 Post by Alan C. » January 23rd, 2009, 9:26 pm

A lot of claims are made for carob, some of which are listed below.
3. It acts as an antioxidant.
4. It can be used to treat diarrhea in children and adults.
5. It contains an active substance that is effective against asthma. Carob is also used for asthma problems caused by allergies.
6. It acts as a mild expectorant.
7. It doesn't contain caffeine.
8. It contains vitamin E and is used for the treatment of cough, flu, anemia and osteoclasis.
9. Carob tannins have Gallic acid. Gallic acid is analgesic, anti-allergic and antibacterial. It is also antioxidant, antiviral and antiseptic.
10. It's used for the treatment of polio in children, as the Gallic acid in carob tannins helps to prevent polio.
11. It's rich in phosphor and calcium. For this reason, it is sometimes used to prevent osteoporosis.
Cacao as far as I know, makes no claims to be beneficial to health or anything else, and is just sold purely on it's own merits.
It's simply a good addition to chili, bolognese, stews et al.

Oops edit,
Source of the info on carob, good old wiki.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Emma Woolgatherer

#12 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » January 24th, 2009, 12:47 am

Alan C. wrote:Cacao as far as I know, makes no claims to be beneficial to health or anything else, and is just sold purely on it's own merits.
Ha! Have a look at the website Good News about Chocolate. Claims galore! :D

Has anyone else tried cacao nibs? They're just fragments of raw cacao bean, and they're rather bitter and crunchy, but they work rather well in muesli, I find. And just a teaspoonful a day seems to satisfy my craving for chocolate. They're particularly good if you like the flavour of chocolate but don't have much of a sweet tooth.

Emma