INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Oat-based milk replacement

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

getreal

Re: Oat-based milk replacement

#21 Post by getreal » August 25th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I can't believe this thread has recieved over 100 views.

Is that not odd?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Hundovir

#22 Post by Hundovir » August 25th, 2009, 9:49 pm

clayto wrote:Milk is surely a generic term, coconut milk for example and many others.
In which case, why the thread title?

Nick

#23 Post by Nick » August 25th, 2009, 10:00 pm

:pointlaugh:

But seriously, if you'd ever tried to milk an oat, you'd understand.

clayto

#24 Post by clayto » August 28th, 2009, 10:23 am

Quote: "In which case, why the thread title?" Presumably because the person who started it chose not to include 'animal' or more specifically 'cows' in the title, knowing that most people would understand. Simples.

Chris
clayto

Emma Woolgatherer

#25 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » August 31st, 2009, 10:07 am

Hundovir wrote:I don't understand why vegetarians/vegans want a "milk replacement". The same with "veggie bacon" and stuff like that.

Can't you develop a diet/cuisine that doesn't need ersatz (I knew I'd use that word one day!) versions of what omnivores eat?
Alan C. wrote:... I'm in full agreement, Why do vegitarians have to look for a product (the emphasis here on the word product to replace the things they deny themselves? Why not just go without? If that's what you choose.
Alan H wrote:I've never seen the attraction of veggie bacon: why would I want something to put between two slices of bread to taste of dead pig? :shrug:
I've never understood questions like this. The answer seems so bleedin' obvious. Some people want to replace things that they used to eat and like the taste of but have given up for ethical or other reasons. I never liked milk (and I don't drink tea or coffee), so I've never felt the need to replace it. But I used to like cheese, and bacon, so now and then I buy something that tastes vaguely like them. Cheese and bacon both have strong flavours. Meat is chewy. Sometimes I fancy something strong flavoured, or chewy, or both. What the Sam Hill is wrong with that? :angry:

Actually, I don't usually buy highly processed foods, but tend to stick to tempeh, firm tofu (sometimes smoked or flavoured) and seitan. Yes, they are all processed, but no more so than bread or cheese. I don't think of them as "ersatz" anything. It's been over twenty years since I've eaten cheese or meat, so I have no clear recollection of how those things taste, and no interest in imitating them with any degree of accuracy. Smoked tofu doesn't taste like dead pig to me; it tastes like smoked tofu. All I'm interested in is strong flavour and firm texture. I've made tofu and seitan myself, in my ill-equipped kitchen. But they take time and effort. Buying ready-made is much more convenient (and expensive). Most people shop mainly in supermarkets, where tempeh and seitan and smoked or flavoured tofu are not available. Cauldron and Quorn products (now both owned by Premier Foods) have cornered the market in "meat analogues". So that's what most people buy. They buy them because they can see them on supermarket shelves, and they like the taste. That's why most people buy foods. Seems reasonable to me.
Alan C. wrote:We should probably look into the environmental cost of producing a pint of "soya milk" and weigh it up against the equivalent cost of cows milk.
These sorts of analyses are extremely complicated, but in this case I should think it's a foregone conclusion. Since cow's millk has one of the greatest environmental impacts of any foods (along with beef), I'd be willing to bet that even soya milk, which involves very little processing of soya beans, does a lot better, in terms of energy use, land use, water use, greenhouse gas production, loss of biodiversity, and pollution. (Remember, around 90% of soya beans grown worldwide are fed to livestock. In the United States, the figures is 98%.) Oat milk might do better still. Especially in Scotland.

Emma

clayto

#26 Post by clayto » August 31st, 2009, 2:09 pm

Thanks, Emma, an excellent informed response as usual.

Chris
clayto