INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Oat-based milk replacement

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

robzed

Oat-based milk replacement

#1 Post by robzed » January 10th, 2009, 10:46 am

Hi,

Has anyone tried the Oat-based milk replacement 'Oatly'? I have some but haven't tried it yet.

I've used apple-juice-sweetened soya 'milk' and the rice-based 'milk' drinks. Both are OK, depending upon brand.

Regards,
Rob

clayto

Re: Oat-based milk replacement

#2 Post by clayto » January 10th, 2009, 1:07 pm

We have tried this and a number of other milk alternatives and have not yet been very satisfied with them but we keep trying as they appear on the shelves. One an get used to something after a while but they are always so much more expensive which does not encourage experimentation. In many cases they have at least been better than the cheese substitues, a topic discussed in earlier postings.

Chris
clayto

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » January 10th, 2009, 1:28 pm

I've not seen the oat based one. I love the vanilla flavoured rice drink, but I doubt I could replace cow juice with it [---][/---] can't imagine anything else in my coffee or on my muesli!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » January 10th, 2009, 5:07 pm

How would you fancy this on your muesli Alan?
This morning, PETA dispatched a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of ice cream icon Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace the cow's milk in their products with human breast milk.
My bold.
full story.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

robzed

#5 Post by robzed » January 13th, 2009, 10:27 pm

I'm really never sure whether human breast milk is meant to be more or less 'wrong' than the breast milk of a random animal...

jaywhat

#6 Post by jaywhat » January 14th, 2009, 5:29 am

. . . or perhaps breast milk from a 'random' human - or perhaps a slave?

robzed

#7 Post by robzed » January 14th, 2009, 10:07 pm

jaywhat .... I'm not sure where the conversation is going. All the breast milk consumption I've directly known about was from sources that could be considered the opposite of slaves.

somename

#8 Post by somename » August 24th, 2009, 5:26 pm

I quit all milks but did like a almond milk but it was £3 per liter :(

Nick

#9 Post by Nick » August 24th, 2009, 7:10 pm

At that price, I'd stick to merlot.....

Alan C.

#10 Post by Alan C. » August 24th, 2009, 8:51 pm

Nick wrote:At that price, I'd stick to merlot.....
Merlot is good.............But in coffee?

I have given up any kind of milk in tea (and the tea tastes better for it) but still using semi skimmed in coffee (although I can drink my coffee without, ie when visiting someone who only has UHT :sick:

getreal

#11 Post by getreal » August 24th, 2009, 9:30 pm

At least UHT doesn't curdle when you add it to the hot coffee-who the hell drinks lukewarm coffee?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#12 Post by Alan C. » August 24th, 2009, 9:34 pm

getreal wrote:At least UHT doesn't curdle when you add it to the hot coffee-who the hell drinks lukewarm coffee?
Coffee is always best when made with water "not quite on the boil" That's not to say........lukewarm though :wink:

getreal

#13 Post by getreal » August 24th, 2009, 9:39 pm

I find soya milk (should these things actually be called milk?) curdles if the coffee is the least bit hot.

I've never tried oat milk (?). Does it curdle in hot coffee??
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Hundovir

#14 Post by Hundovir » August 24th, 2009, 9:56 pm

I don't understand why vegetarians/vegans want a "milk replacement". The same with "veggie bacon" and stuff like that.

Can't you develop a diet/cuisine that doesn't need ersatz (I knew I'd use that word one day!) versions of what omnivores eat?

Alan C.

#15 Post by Alan C. » August 24th, 2009, 10:32 pm

:pointlaugh:
I don't know the meaning of the word and can't be arsed to look it up at this hour, but yes........ I'm in full agreement, Why do vegitarians have to look for a product (the emphasis here on the word product to replace the things they deny themselves? Why not just go without? If that's what you choose.

We should probably look into the environmental cost of producing a pint of "soya milk" and weigh it up against the equivalent cost of cows milk. But not tonight :sleep:

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » August 25th, 2009, 12:43 am

Many vegetarians drink cows' milk, while vegans wouldn't. But don't get too hung up on the words: milk is ubiquitous and a useful source of proteins, minerals, etc, and useful in hot drinks. A replacement for those that don't want 'proper' milk is bound to look like the 'real stuff', so why not call it rice/oat/soya milk?

I've never seen the attraction of veggie bacon: why would I want something to put between two slices of bread to taste of dead pig? :shrug:

I'd like to see some analysis of cows' milk v soya.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

clayto

#17 Post by clayto » August 25th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Milk is surely a generic term, coconut milk for example and many others.

Meat substitutes (Quorn, Meatfree, Toffu, Yagga, etc) are an outstandingly good idea (and in many cases a commercial success), as are synthetic fur, numerous leather substitutes, and so on. They enable people who have developed a 'taste' (maybe even a dependency) from their early years in a veggie unfriendly world, to switch easily to products which do not impose, or which at least significantly reduce, unnecessary suffering on non-human animals ---- something which many humane Humanists applaud.

Chris
Last edited by clayto on August 25th, 2009, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar
clayto

clayto

#18 Post by clayto » August 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Veggie bacon (usually Quorn, but not always) is one of our favourite foods. Where I live there were omnivores who went to a particular veggie cafe mainly for the veggie bacon butties, until the proprietor retired.

Linda Mcartney veggie sausages are very good (just won an award) and 'sausage' is another generic food term.

Chris
Last edited by clayto on August 25th, 2009, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
clayto

Nick

#19 Post by Nick » August 25th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Alan C. wrote:
Nick wrote:At that price, I'd stick to merlot.....
Merlot is good.............But in coffee?
:laughter: Who mentioned coffee? :wink:

getreal

#20 Post by getreal » August 25th, 2009, 5:30 pm

I can't believe this thread has recieved over 100 views.

Is that not odd?