INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Bubble and Squeek

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

clayto

Bubble and Squeek

#1 Post by clayto » January 20th, 2009, 5:34 pm

We used to buy (not long ago) tinned bubble and squeek in major local supermarkets but have not been able to find it recently. Any ideas on who produces it, apart from aunt Bessie's frozen version?

Chris
clayto

clayto

Re: Bubble and Squeek

#2 Post by clayto » January 20th, 2009, 5:42 pm

or even Buble and Squeak.

Chris
clayto

Alan C.

#3 Post by Alan C. » January 20th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Chris, I know it's not your usual style, but are you having a laugh? tinned bubble and squeak! I've never heard of such a thing.
Are you not able to make your own? There can't be many (if any) things easier to make than bubble and squeak. :puzzled:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

clayto

#4 Post by clayto » January 20th, 2009, 6:43 pm

AlanC

I guessed someone might respond in this way and I might have guessed it would be you!

1. We happen to like the tinned B&S we used to get ---- very tasty, easy to cook and add to

2. We tend not to have appropriate left-overs given the way in which I, as carer, organise the cooking --- frozen or tinned veg or just enough veg to avoid it going off before eating

3. I, having to do all the cooking which I don't enjoy, prefer to spend minimal time in preparation

4. Tinned B&S and other tinned (and otherwise preserved food such as vacuum sealed) is handy for our major leisure activity, namely motor caravaning which for us is not well suited to either bulky fresh produce or frozen

We all live our lives differently and have our reasons for doing what we do!

Chris
clayto

Nick

#5 Post by Nick » January 20th, 2009, 6:52 pm

...so I guess random road-kill is not an option, then.

Just kidding :D

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » January 20th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I guessed someone might respond in this way and I might have guessed it would be you!
Chris, why do you regard everything I say, as hostile?
I am simply saying bubble and squeak is simple to make, and even in a mobile home you could make 3 or 4 servings and keep it in the fridge for a week or so.
1. We happen to like the tinned B&S we used to get ---- very tasty, easy to cook and add to
But not as green as making your own.
2. We tend not to have appropriate left-overs given the way in which I, as carer, organise the cooking --- frozen or tinned veg or just enough veg to avoid it going off before eating
It doesn't have to be leftovers, (although without the leftovers from the Sunday roast, there would be no such thing as bubble and squeak) it's not leftovers you're buying in the tins. (is it?)
3. I, having to do all the cooking which I don't enjoy, prefer to spend minimal time in preparation

It's a shame you don't enjoy cooking, it's probably my second most enjoyable activity, the first being growing the food in the first place.
4. Tinned B&S and other tinned (and otherwise preserved food such as vacuum sealed) is handy for our major leisure activity, namely motor caravaning [sic] which for us is not well suited to either bulky fresh produce or frozen
Yes, well it would be more handy for me to go to the co-op and buy produce that has traveled half way round the world, but I don't.
We all live our lives differently and have our reasons for doing what we do!
Amen to that.

Edward Hawkins

#7 Post by Edward Hawkins » January 21st, 2009, 8:23 am

I used to buy the tinned bubble and squeak. It was a handy standby meal to have in the cupboard. I always used to have a few tins at work. I could have a hot, tasty meal ready in a few minutes, rather than eating sandwiches.

I have not seen the tins for a couple of years now. There are some vacuum packs sold, but unfortunately they contain bacon.

jaywhat

#8 Post by jaywhat » January 21st, 2009, 9:11 am

[Says Alan - It's a shame you don't enjoy cooking,
Says me - It's a shame cooking is something you enjoy]

Of course it is not a shame at all - it is a different attitude, a different way of doing things, a different way of living life by people with different responsiblitlites and different needs. Now if you boys (Chris and Alan) do not choose your words more carefully you are going to get a good smack.

I too had never heard of bubble and squeak in a tin and I am going out to look for it today.

clayto

Re: Bubble and Squeak

#9 Post by clayto » January 21st, 2009, 1:41 pm

Despite a couple of spelling errors I consider I chose my words carefully enough for a posting simply seeking info on availability of tinned bubble and squeak! Any 'hostility' might be 'in the eye of the beholder'? The best point made so far is 'Of course it is not a shame at all - it is a different attitude, a different way of doing things, a different way of living life by people with different responsibilities and different needs.' Exactly.

I hope this is not too pedantic but a motorcaravan (motorhome / camping car / caravanette) is not a 'mobile home'. The term mobile home when correctly used (it often is not) refers to static residential accommodation (an enhanced version of a static holiday caravan) in which people live permanently (often in considerable comfort and luxury) on a 'mobile home park' (the expansion of which could make a useful contribution to housing shortages). The term 'mobile' derives from the way in which this permanent accommodation is transported to the site after manufacture, to be permanently connected to water, sewerage, electricity, gas.

In contrast a motorcaravan (etc) is a vehicle, usually a converted commercial van or built on a van base, used for travelling and staying (in most cases) at caravan sites overnight (or even for 'wild camping' without site facilities such as mains electricity) --- often literally overnight ('night halts'). The relevance of all this to the enormously important topic of tinned bubble and squeak is that the practicality of keeping pre-prepared b & S in a refrigerator for say 'a week' will depend on such factors as (a) whether or not the motorcaravan has a refrigerator (most do, some do not) (b) the capacity (some are small) (c) alternative demands on the refrigerator's storage space (d) the power supply (gas, mains, 12v electricity) and whether or not the user switches power off while travelling (some do, gas should always be turned off) (d) whether in the case of refrigerators relying exclusively on 12v (increasingly common in smaller motorcaravans) the leisure battery runs low before the next recharging journey ----- and more similar factors I won't detain you with.

So, as has been said, different people live their lives in different ways and have different requirements. I require tinned bubble and squeak!

Chris
clayto

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » January 21st, 2009, 2:13 pm

clayto wrote:I require tinned bubble and squeak!
I've never seen tins of it, but I'm sure Tesco's sell chilled Bubble and Squeak.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

jaywhat

#11 Post by jaywhat » January 21st, 2009, 3:25 pm

It's a shame you advertise Tesco which I (we) will not use on principle - it being the most unprincipled major store of the lot of them.
Oh dear! I seem to have used the dreaded 'it's a shame' which I so strongly pilloried earlier. Shame on me!

Alan C.

#12 Post by Alan C. » January 21st, 2009, 10:18 pm

jaywhat
It's a shame you advertise Tesco which I (we) will not use on principle - it being the most unprincipled major store of the lot of them.
We don't use Tesco for the same reason jay, but if you look for Alan H' link to Asda you might want to change your veiw of Tesco to "second most unprincipled major store"
Thank god for the co-op and their free trade principle.

I should have found the link for you, but as you all know, I'm a lazy bar steward. And I'm in the middle of a quackery debate elsewhere.

clayto

#13 Post by clayto » January 23rd, 2009, 4:26 pm

Sainsbury's have replied to my email (at length) to say tinned B&S is no longer available. It is not entirely clear if they mean available to them or from them but I suspect the latter as they wish me luck in my search for it, which implies it still exists ----- and like the truth it 'is out there'.

In the meantime we have just discovered at Morrisons a new (to us) range of tinned (yippee!) vegetarian curry style meals with brand name Sundar, eg. Balti, Tikka Masala and others. We have not tried them yet (today we had a new Quorn and Ale Pudding --- 6 minutes in the microwave). We even found tinned Chesswood Mushy Peas Curry (!) so things may be looking up for us veggie tinheads. We have always enjoyed Sainsbury's tinned Vegetable Curry as well as their MeatFree Beans and Sausages and Bolognase. Maybe one day there will be veggie Spam?

Chris
clayto

clayto

#14 Post by clayto » January 23rd, 2009, 4:39 pm

AlanC ----- I suspect you mean 'fair trade' not 'free trade'?

We only have a couple of very small local co-ops, not very good range for veggies and so much dearer here than the major supermarkets, which is a pity as we are co-op members and long-term supporters of the co-op movement. Unexpectedly, in a neighbouring town we are getting a Waitrose. Many Tescos are opening, good veggie range bu many practices especially abroad which are offencive to veggies. Yet I recall they are the store who years ago partly made their name with a high ethical stance over dolphins killed in harvesting John West tuna.

Chris
clayto

jaywhat

#15 Post by jaywhat » January 23rd, 2009, 9:26 pm

Tesco also sell pate' de foie gras in those countries where is not illegal.

Alan C.

#16 Post by Alan C. » January 23rd, 2009, 10:31 pm

chris
AlanC ----- I suspect you mean 'fair trade' not 'free trade'?
Quite right, sorry about that :redface:
Our co-op (Tesco are their only competitor) are stocking more and more "fair trade" stuff, and I think it's great, Mary, although professing the same beliefs as myself, thinks we should get our coffee from Tesco, because in the co-op it's £3.99 and in Tesco it's 2 for £5.00, but I wont give in.
If paying a little more for the stuff we buy, means a better standard of life for some third world producer, that's a price I'm prepared to pay.

clayto

#17 Post by clayto » January 30th, 2009, 5:09 pm

We have now tried several of the Sundar tinned curries from Morrisons and found them to be OK for us. We will be getting more.

Chris
clayto