INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Soy cheese?

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

Moose

#21 Post by Moose » October 31st, 2007, 7:07 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I live in a fishing town too .. we can get great fish n chips here. Which I suppose isn't an appropriate comment on a veggie thread :)

I've never seen a fish substitute now I come to think of it.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Time to die

EF

Nick

#22 Post by Nick » October 31st, 2007, 8:53 pm

Moose wrote:I've never seen a fish substitute now I come to think of it.
In Glasgow, it's Mars bars :grin:

And they're veggie friendly!

Alan H

#23 Post by Alan H » October 31st, 2007, 10:18 pm

Nick wrote:In Glasgow, it's Mars bars :grin:

And they're veggie friendly!
Emmmm...Only if they have a Best Before date of 18 February 2008 or later.

Edward Hawkins

#24 Post by Edward Hawkins » November 1st, 2007, 8:50 am

Moose wrote: I've never seen a fish substitute now I come to think of it.
Redwoods make a substitute fish finger and Realeat make a fishless fish cake. Neither of them taste much like fish. There was a Taiwanese firm called VeggieMaster which did make some very realistic products but they don't seem to be available any more.

Moose

#25 Post by Moose » November 10th, 2007, 10:41 pm

With fish cakes I would guess that a lot of it comes down to the correct seasoning and the balance of potato used. That said fish does have a quite distinctive texture which I guess is not easy to replicate.
Time to die

EF

MalteseHumanist

#26 Post by MalteseHumanist » November 12th, 2007, 2:16 pm

Moose wrote:I've never seen a fish substitute now I come to think of it.
I have...he's called Steve Hogarth :hilarity:
"...when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong." - Richard Dawkins

gregory
Died May 2009 R.I.P

#27 Post by gregory » November 17th, 2007, 10:49 am

As far as losing wight is concerned then the best thing is to eat less. another way is to have Marmite on your toast instead of cheese; or beans which are not very unfattening but at least they do not contain a lot of fat which is bad for people as it can cause cancer if eaten too much. So maybe its best to not eat cheese at all for weight loss reasons.

For vegan and vegetarian purposes then peas and beans and other vegetables are usually okay. Hawthrone tea may help regarding the heart plus the spreads which are available now. Also garlic and oats (not necessarily together!) are said to keep the cholestrol down.

Some of my vegetarianism is environment based so at the moment I am eating the apples I have on my tree and a little ordinary cheese goes well with this. I use organic which is at least good on animal welfare allthough it may contain rennet which is not strictly vegetarian but I haven't seen any vegetarian cheese on the shelves recently although I have seen "pretend" cheese in my health food store - it is a bit pricey and may not reduce the number of lifeforms killed in its making although I do not know the statistics.

Make sure you eat breakfast Moose and good luck.
There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover

clayto

Veggie Cheese

#28 Post by clayto » November 17th, 2007, 9:38 pm

Gregory, we are easily able to find veggie cheese (ie. without rennet) on the shelves of our supermarkets : Sainsburys, Morrisons, Tescos and I expect most others. I f you are not able to, it makes me wonder how much local stores differ.

Chris
clayto

Moose

#29 Post by Moose » November 22nd, 2007, 10:03 pm

I generally have something in the mornings these days tho I did not used to :). But I gather that it's a good start to the day and pretty much essential if you're dieting.
Time to die

EF