INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

BBC Report on Sunday Assembly

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
coffee

BBC Report on Sunday Assembly

#1 Post by coffee » August 14th, 2016, 7:03 am

Zeff

Re: BBC Report on Sunday Assembly

#2 Post by Zeff » August 14th, 2016, 10:01 am

coffee

#3 Post by coffee » September 20th, 2016, 11:44 am

A Less Lonely Way to Lose Your Faith

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ps/499148/

coffee

#4 Post by coffee » September 23rd, 2016, 7:26 pm

“People who go to church on Sunday live longer and have a better life outcome. Now it’s not because there’s a big beardy man in the sky, it’s because churches deliver a sense of community and they look after one another,” he says, outlining that the magazine is partly about helping create that sense of community for humanists.

Read more about here
http://www.thejournal.ie/the-humanist-t ... 5-Sep2016/

coffee

#5 Post by coffee » April 1st, 2017, 3:01 pm

http://www.worldcrunch.com/culture-soci ... n-the-rise

"But for all the grand plans, Poppei boiled the explanation for what these non-religious congregations can do down to very simple terms. A new member came to her service recently, she said. The woman was in her 30s, had been an atheist all her life, and had never much thought she was missing anything by not belonging to a religious community. Except one thing.

"I didn't know, when I got sick someday, who was going to bring me a casserole," the woman told Poppei.

Now that she's in an Ethical Culture society, she knows where that supportive casserole will come from, Poppei said. "I think that's what people are looking for.""

http://www.worldcrunch.com/culture-soci ... n-the-rise

coffee

#6 Post by coffee » May 25th, 2017, 9:02 am

VINDICATOR

#7 Post by VINDICATOR » May 27th, 2017, 2:06 pm

An important lesson taught by the church!
One of the principle reasons why people go to church is not for religion or buying a ticket to heaven. The modern church is actually a community club-house where friendly people get together for all sorts of entertaining activities. Theses include all sorts of parties and celebrations, especially during the holidays like Christmas, Easter, etc. For young folks it's a convenient place to find a girl/boy friend. What I liked most when I was a church-goer was the music, there isn't any music that can compare with Ave Maria played on a pipe-organ! In the US any sizeable church will host a troop of boy/girl scouts. Professionals like doctors and lawyers will join to find more business oportunities. If the Atheists/Humanists/Pantheists etc. really want to do go big-time then they will have to do this too. The Pastafarians (Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) are trying to do this I think. They are handicapped tho, because they are not tax exempt like the "real" churches are!

coffee

#8 Post by coffee » May 28th, 2017, 2:55 pm

An important lesson taught by the church!
One of the principle reasons why people go to church is not for religion or buying a ticket to heaven. The modern church is actually a community club-house where friendly people get together for all sorts of entertaining activities. Theses include all sorts of parties and celebrations, especially during the holidays like Christmas, Easter, etc. For young folks it's a convenient place to find a girl/boy friend. What I liked most when I was a church-goer was the music, there isn't any music that can compare with Ave Maria played on a pipe-organ! In the US any sizeable church will host a troop of boy/girl scouts. Professionals like doctors and lawyers will join to find more business oportunities. If the Atheists/Humanists/Pantheists etc. really want to do go big-time then they will have to do this too. The Pastafarians (Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) are trying to do this I think. They are handicapped tho, because they are not tax exempt like the "real" churches are!
I like your post VINDICATOR ! :thumbsup:

coffee

#9 Post by coffee » May 28th, 2017, 3:56 pm

That is why I no longer support the BHA (now is Humanist uk) campaign against faith schools, because they give a nothing alternative!

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » May 28th, 2017, 4:00 pm

coffee wrote:That is why I no longer support the BHA (now is Humanist uk) campaign against faith schools, because they give a nothing alternative!
No they don't! They campaign for totally inclusive schools and education. It is not in children's nor society's best interests to segregate children, whether that's by religion or lack of it.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#11 Post by coffee » May 28th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Give me an example of a Humanist uk community centre?

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » May 28th, 2017, 4:08 pm

coffee wrote:Give me an example of a Humanist uk community centre?
I really have no idea why you seem to be having trouble with this! Why should the BHA set up community centres? And what's that got to do with schools?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#13 Post by coffee » May 28th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Because they have values and believe in running communities centres. What do the humanist uk value and believe? Also is this phase humanist meeting is like herding cat, it go to show that they attempt to do the same did not worked did it?

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » May 28th, 2017, 4:42 pm

coffee wrote:Because they have values and believe in running communities centres.
Woah! Where do they say that?
Alan Henness

coffee

#15 Post by coffee » May 28th, 2017, 6:18 pm

It inspired from their religious doctrine, does it matter? When they do a good job tho.

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » May 28th, 2017, 7:05 pm

coffee wrote:It inspired from their religious doctrine, does it matter? When they do a good job tho.
What's inspired from what? And yes, it does matter: you seemed to be berating them for not running alternatives to faith schools (it's been explained why they don't), and for not running community centres with you saying they 'believe in running communities centres' yet you can't say where they say that.
Alan Henness

coffee

#17 Post by coffee » May 28th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Because they got something to offer to the community (eg. the friendly meeting community like church hub place for the people to meet) so they want to passing on to the next generation, something that the people like, whereas humanist hasn't got anything that people feel the same, in that sense people will prefer faith school over secular schools, understand? Apologizing for my English as a second language.

Alan H

#18 Post by Alan H » May 28th, 2017, 7:44 pm

coffee wrote:Because they got something to offer to the community (eg. the friendly meeting community like church hub place for the people to meet) so they want to passing on to the next generation, something that the people like, whereas humanist hasn't got anything that people feel the same, in that sense people will prefer faith school over secular schools, understand? Apologizing for my English as a second language.
No need to apologise for your English! However, humanism does have something I'd want to pass on to my kids. But I don't think that is the reason some seem to prefer religious schools (there are no de facto secular schools in the UK).
Alan Henness

coffee

#19 Post by coffee » May 28th, 2017, 7:50 pm

However, humanism does have something I'd want to pass on to my kids.
Let run humanist schools then and see what would happen :smile:

Alan H

#20 Post by Alan H » May 28th, 2017, 8:01 pm

coffee wrote:
However, humanism does have something I'd want to pass on to my kids.
Let run humanist schools then and see what would happen :smile:
But why run humanist schools?
Alan Henness