INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Message
Author
coffee
Posts: 1537
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#1 Post by coffee » September 17th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Hi,

I am just wondering if Muslim women are allow wearing burkas/headscarves to work then surely humanists must also be allowed to wear a happy human symbol necklace to work right? (if it does not affect his/her job)

Or a christian wear a cross to work

lewist
Posts: 4402
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#2 Post by lewist » September 18th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Hey, I like the new avatar, Coffee. :smile:

Being retired, I can't wear a Happy Human necklace or badge to work, as I don't have a job any more. I do volunteer a lot so I suppose that's a possibility.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

coffee
Posts: 1537
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#3 Post by coffee » September 19th, 2016, 8:50 am

Hey, I like the new avatar, Coffee. :smile:
Thank you lewist, since you like it, I am going to stick to it for a while :smile:

User avatar
Ninny
Posts: 545
Joined: December 13th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#4 Post by Ninny » September 19th, 2016, 9:00 am

I abhor the wearing of crosses at work, and therefore think it is not OK to wear any religious/non-religious symbol to work. Smacks of aggression.

coffee
Posts: 1537
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#5 Post by coffee » September 19th, 2016, 9:14 am

Hi Ninny

Don't you think we would lose out if others do and we don't?

Nick
Posts: 11027
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#6 Post by Nick » September 19th, 2016, 10:53 am

Wearing a cross doesn't always mean the wearer is religious. There are times when it is inappropriate, and work may be one of them, but part of freedom is to allow others to be free too. There are, of course, humanist pendants, jewellery and lapel badges readily available.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6521
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#7 Post by animist » September 19th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Ninny wrote:I abhor the wearing of crosses at work, and therefore think it is not OK to wear any religious/non-religious symbol to work. Smacks of aggression.
but in that case you might as well ban wearing them anywhere, not just work. I don't think it is aggressive to express some belief, as long as the belief itself is not aggressive

Manel
Posts: 68
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 5:46 am

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#8 Post by Manel » September 25th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Ninny wrote:I abhor the wearing of crosses at work, and therefore think it is not OK to wear any religious/non-religious symbol to work. Smacks of aggression.
Hello, Ninny and all.

About what you say, Ninny, I think wearing religious and non-religious symbols are completely different things. If I wear a catholic symbol I'm supporting catholicism, an organization that discriminates women, teaches not to be free to marry who you love, and lots of similar things.

If I wear a humanist symbol I'm supporting the use of reason and scientific approach to understanding anything... What's the problem with that??

Best wishes

Manel

User avatar
Ninny
Posts: 545
Joined: December 13th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#9 Post by Ninny » September 26th, 2016, 9:36 am

I was expressing an opinion I don't expect everyone to agree with me. When I was a magistrate I managed to persuade other magistrates not to wear crosses on the bench. Would it have been proper for me, after that, to wear any sort of symbol of belief? I don't think so. Some arguments are best left on the shelf.

Manel
Posts: 68
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 5:46 am

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#10 Post by Manel » September 26th, 2016, 10:07 am

I unserstand your point, but I think humanism is not a belief. I personally will soon wear a symbol, but nobody in Spain will understand it, :laughter:
Good thing to talk our different opinions here.

Have a nice day

Manel

Zeff
Posts: 142
Joined: August 6th, 2016, 2:13 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#11 Post by Zeff » September 27th, 2016, 10:34 am

.......

Zeff
Posts: 142
Joined: August 6th, 2016, 2:13 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#12 Post by Zeff » September 27th, 2016, 10:35 am

I wear a humanist symbol most days.

Fia
Posts: 5480
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#13 Post by Fia » September 27th, 2016, 10:24 pm

I wear a Humanist symbol when wearing my Humanist Celebrant hat. When not, I hope my actions speak for me.

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 24055
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#14 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2016, 12:34 am

Fia wrote:I wear a Humanist symbol when wearing my Humanist Celebrant hat. When not, I hope my actions speak for me.
Celebrants wear hats? :D
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6521
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#15 Post by animist » September 28th, 2016, 10:46 am

Manel wrote:I unserstand your point, but I think humanism is not a belief
I think that humanism is a belief system, and TBH, I think that you are adopting double standards here. If it is OK for you to wear a humanist symbol, I don't think that you should object to crucifixes or hejabs in principle. Also, while I agree with many of your comments on the Catholic religion, not all Catholics follow the more negative aspects of it. Religion is not politics, and I would object to a hammer-and-sickle (or of course a swastika) on display. It is always difficult to draw clear lines in such questions, but I would favour allowing people to express their beliefs at work if they themselves tolerate others' expressed beliefs

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6521
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#16 Post by animist » September 28th, 2016, 10:47 am

Alan H wrote:
Fia wrote:I wear a Humanist symbol when wearing my Humanist Celebrant hat. When not, I hope my actions speak for me.
Celebrants wear hats? :D
should practising witches be allowed to wear hats when doing their daytime jobs???

Manel
Posts: 68
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 5:46 am

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#17 Post by Manel » September 28th, 2016, 11:44 am

Hello, animist. Thanks for your post,
But I don't think humanism is a belief. Scientific and critic thought is not believing. I adopt the theories that evidence supports.
A pleasure to talk with you.

Best wishes

Manel

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 24055
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#18 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Manel wrote:Hello, animist. Thanks for your post,
But I don't think humanism is a belief. Scientific and critic thought is not believing. I adopt the theories that evidence supports.
A pleasure to talk with you.

Best wishes

Manel
Humanism isn't a belief per se, but is included under the umbrella of 'beliefs' in things like the European Convention on Human rights as in 'religion and beliefs.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Manel
Posts: 68
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 5:46 am

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#19 Post by Manel » September 28th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Thanks very much for the information, Alan.

Even so, the fact that it's not a belief per se and that it's rather a non-belief (please correct me if I'm wrong) makes me think it must not be treated as a belief even if it's included in that umbrella. Humanism doesn't have a conflict with reason, while most beliefs do. That makes a huge difference for me.

Man, I love these conversations. Wish I was in your country!

Best for all

Manel

Fia
Posts: 5480
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Re: Wear a happy human symbol necklace to work

#20 Post by Fia » September 28th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Alan H wrote:
Fia wrote:I wear a Humanist symbol when wearing my Humanist Celebrant hat. When not, I hope my actions speak for me.
Celebrants wear hats? :D
Metaphorical hats, Alan :D I could have phrased that better :redface:
Manel wrote: I don't think humanism is a belief.
I struggle with this too, Manel. It feels uncomfortable. I don't believe, I'm working towards understanding. However, being grouped with religions it does offer us some of their privileges (which they shouldn't have anyway, but that's another story) such as being able to legally marry folk.

Post Reply