INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Druidry granted charitable status.

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
solidair

Druidry granted charitable status.

#1 Post by solidair » January 9th, 2011, 2:03 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11457795

Thought I might see some discussion of this on here. Maybe I missed it?

That Arthur Pendragon has always struck me as a bit of a wacko and what he has to say here dosn't alter my views of him or of so called druidry generally.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
Christopher Hitchens

solidair

Re: Druidry granted charitable status.

#2 Post by solidair » January 9th, 2011, 2:08 am

Quote:-

"The commission says the network's work in promoting druidry as a religion is in the public interest."

:hilarity:
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
Christopher Hitchens

lewist

#3 Post by lewist » January 9th, 2011, 11:07 am

We didn't miss it, Solidair. Try here.

It looks like we didn't take it too seriously, rather with amused and bemused incredulity.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

solidair

#4 Post by solidair » January 10th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Thanks, Lewist. I'm sorry I missed that one.
I find the whole 'new age'/'neo pagan'/wicca business troubling. I once had the dubious privilige of meeting Arthur Pendragon and found him rather disturbing.
Christopher Hitchens

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » January 10th, 2011, 7:51 pm

solidair wrote:I once had the dubious privilige of meeting Arthur Pendragon and found him rather disturbing.
But did you bow?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

solidair

#6 Post by solidair » January 10th, 2011, 9:45 pm

Alan H wrote:
solidair wrote:I once had the dubious privilige of meeting Arthur Pendragon and found him rather disturbing.
But did you bow?

No and it all went down hill from there.
Christopher Hitchens

thundril

#7 Post by thundril » January 19th, 2011, 12:33 am

There's a guy works down the chipshop swears he's elvis...
And I know a guy who has played at being Gandalf continuously for the last thirty-five years to my certain knowledge..
Harmless? Well, as long as they remain ineffectual, yes.
It's the ones who think they are carrying out the will of Jahweh that give me the horrors..
T Blair and GW Bush, for example.

Paolo

#8 Post by Paolo » January 20th, 2011, 6:16 pm

This kind of recognition lends more credibility to the neo-druidism movement - which in itself I don't have a problem with, but I will start having a problem when neo-druids start making repatriation claims for the remains of Ancient Britons held in museums, using their new-found charitable status as support for their position. If you think I'm joking, they attempted it a couple of years ago.

I don't have a problem with repatriation of human remains when the claimants have strong cultural reasons to request the return of their ancestors, but when the justification is a hotch-potch reinvention of a culture over a thousand years after it disappeared, I don't see it as valid. It's rather like me marching into a museum and demanding Roman remains, justifying my claim by saying that I have an Italian surname and I've decided to start worshipping Mithras.

solidair

#9 Post by solidair » January 20th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Strangely perhaps, I have more of a problem with these sort of new age 'faiths' than the traditional ones. And it's matters such as these reburials and their interference in archaological digs that bug me. I'd rather they didn't just make up a load of old tosh and claim it as 'sacred' but that's their right. But sticking their nose into normal peoples business on the basis of their made up tosh doesn't please me at all.
Christopher Hitchens

Alan C.

#10 Post by Alan C. » January 20th, 2011, 7:27 pm

And it's matters such as these reburials
Not just a new age thing, didn't the Catholics try to dig up Newman and re-bury him? Fortunately he requested to be buried in quick lime to speed up decomposition so when they opened his grave they found nothing.
I'd rather they didn't just make up a load of old tosh and claim it as 'sacred' but that's their right. But sticking their nose into normal peoples business on the basis of their made up tosh doesn't please me at all.
Again; that doesn't just apply to new agers but all forms of organised religion, especially when it comes to anything to do with sex.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

solidair

#11 Post by solidair » January 20th, 2011, 8:43 pm

I haven't come across any new agers with bigoted views about sex/sexuality. Not that they mayn't exist. There are those more...erm...'fruity' sorts who practice sex magic, of course :hilarity:

Taigs seeking to reinter Newman? I can kind of see why they might want to. But interfering with genuine research based on faux connections with ancient sites...or human remains I find different.
Christopher Hitchens

Alan C.

#12 Post by Alan C. » January 20th, 2011, 9:12 pm

solidair
seeking to re-inter Newman? I can kind of see why they might want to.
Yes so can I,
To separate him (against his express wishes) from his long time friend (lover?) Ambrose St. John.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Griblet

#13 Post by Griblet » January 21st, 2011, 9:02 am

I also worry about the increase in 'New Age' groups and mysticism in general.

GK Chesterton is supposed to have said: 'When a Man stops believing in God he doesn't then believe in nothing, he believes anything.' Unfortunately, there is turning out to be a lot of truth in that, and it should be more of a concern to rationalists than to faithheads.

Dowsing, ley-lines, astrology, homeopathy, spiritualism, crystal healing, astral projection, unidentified flying objects, crop circles .... it's all part of the same disease. But what's the remedy?
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.