INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Christianity and bible FAQs

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Alan H

Christianity and bible FAQs

#1 Post by Alan H » May 22nd, 2012, 9:56 pm

A guest post on Anarchic Teapot's blog:
1. How Much of the OT Is Historically Reliable?
2. Messianism – A Very Short History
3. When Christians Attempt to Use Evidence to Justify Their Faith
4. How We Got the New Testament – An Introduction to NT Exegetics
5. How We Got the Old Testament – A Short Introduction to OT Exegetics
6. The Early Israelite Religion – Not All That Monotheistic
7. How the Israelite Nation Was Born – And Why There Was No Exodus
8. New Testament Criticism and the Textus Receptus (King James Bible)
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Compassionist

Re: Christianity and bible FAQs

#2 Post by Compassionist » May 23rd, 2012, 10:18 am

That's fascinating. Thank you Alan H.

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » May 23rd, 2012, 10:19 am

I have only looked at 6 so far - absolutely fascinating if the authority of the writer is to be trusted. I would like to know more about him and his researches.

That reminded me of The Source my James Michener (excellent book, weaves the whole history of an Israeli tell through the story, politics etc. of the modern archaeological dig into it). The ancient gods of the region are mentioned in that as well.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » May 23rd, 2012, 1:16 pm

Mark Twain's letter to a librarian: I am greatly troubled by what you say
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » May 23rd, 2012, 3:43 pm

Brilliant! Thanks, Alan.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

anarchic-teapot

#6 Post by anarchic-teapot » May 25th, 2012, 10:24 am

Dave B wrote:I have only looked at 6 so far - absolutely fascinating if the authority of the writer is to be trusted. I would like to know more about him and his researches.

That reminded me of The Source my James Michener (excellent book, weaves the whole history of an Israeli tell through the story, politics etc. of the modern archaeological dig into it). The ancient gods of the region are mentioned in that as well.
Actually "he" is a she: it's @dragonblaze on Twitter. A lovely person and well worth following. English isn't her native language, I believe, although she writes exceedingly well; I rarely need to correct syntax. I think she lives in London now, so maybe someone could persuade her to join in, maybe even come to a meeting?

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » August 25th, 2014, 7:41 pm

I'll stick it here rather than creating a new thread.

Have been indulging myself in an Amazon forum entitled "Bible, fact or fiction?"

It contains most of the usual characters and arguments but I am quite enjoying it! But it is bringing out the sarcastic in me I'm afraid . . .
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#8 Post by Compassionist » October 13th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Christians frequently state that 'the fact that most of the apostles were martyred proves that Christianity is true.' When I request evidence which proves that the martyrdom stories are true they say that there are only eye-witness testimonies passed down the ages. When I ask how do they know that these so-called testimonies were not fictitious stories made up to bolster Christianity and its spread they look shocked and say things like, 'I will pray for you' and leave. What do you all think?

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » October 13th, 2014, 9:56 pm

Christians frequently state that 'the fact that most of the apostles were martyred proves that Christianity is true.'
Just as easily interpreted that they lived at a time when the evil bastards in chrge would not countenance any kind of opposition and had the power to commit them to death. OK, compared to them the apostles might have looked like saints!

Remember that JC's trial in from of Pilate was likely a political ploy to get the Roman to make a serious diplomatic mistake - hence the display of sloping shoulders when he washed his hands of the matter!
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#10 Post by Compassionist » October 15th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Dave B wrote:
Christians frequently state that 'the fact that most of the apostles were martyred proves that Christianity is true.'
Just as easily interpreted that they lived at a time when the evil bastards in chrge would not countenance any kind of opposition and had the power to commit them to death. OK, compared to them the apostles might have looked like saints!

Remember that JC's trial in from of Pilate was likely a political ploy to get the Roman to make a serious diplomatic mistake - hence the display of sloping shoulders when he washed his hands of the matter!
Theodosius I made Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire and with that begun the persecution of pagans at the hand of Christians. Basically, whoever had the power abused that power to push their worldview onto others by any means they could get away with.

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » October 15th, 2014, 5:02 pm

whoever had the power abused that power to push their worldview onto others by any means they could get away with.
Some might say that politicians are still doing exactly that, Compassionist.

Give me a fight with an honest soldier over an alliance with a lying politician!
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#12 Post by Compassionist » October 15th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Dave B wrote:
whoever had the power abused that power to push their worldview onto others by any means they could get away with.
Some might say that politicians are still doing exactly that, Compassionist.

Give me a fight with an honest soldier over an alliance with a lying politician!
Sadly, I have to agree with you.