INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Atheists. Why. . .

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Altfish

Re: Atheists. Why. . .

#41 Post by Altfish » December 25th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

lmbarre wrote: The inability of atheism to explain anything philosophically shows it to be intellectually bankrupt.
A stunningly ignorant statement :deadhorse:
Atheism is the lack of something.... religion, sky daddies, gods, etc.
By the same argument non-stamp collecting is a lousy hobby because it doesn't gather anything.

Dave B

#42 Post by Dave B » December 25th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Altfish wrote:
lmbarre wrote: The inability of atheism to explain anything philosophically shows it to be intellectually bankrupt.
By the same argument non-stamp collecting is a lousy hobby because it doesn't gather anything.
Sir, as an ardent, life-long non-stamp collector I must protest! The non-collecting of stamps imparts a certain peace to the spirit by its very emptiness of action and purpose.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Altfish

#43 Post by Altfish » December 25th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Dave B wrote:
Altfish wrote:
Sir, as an ardent, life-long non-stamp collector I must protest! The non-collecting of stamps imparts a certain peace to the spirit by its very emptiness of action and purpose.
Ah, I stand corrected :popcorn: :penguin:

Dave B

#44 Post by Dave B » December 25th, 2012, 10:12 pm

:D
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Lifelinking

#45 Post by Lifelinking » December 27th, 2012, 2:05 pm

The inability of atheism to explain anything philosophically shows it to be intellectually bankrupt.
Well said in response to this Altfish. The Atheist position does not claim to explain anything, it is simply the expression of critical intelligence to one particular set of 'truth claims', i.e. the existence of a personal God and all other humbug associated with it (miracles, angels, heaven, hell, essentialism etc.).

If someone applies the faculties of critical intelligence to other truth claims, such as 'this sugar pill will cure your cancer' and decides that the claims are false, the fact that the thinker has not provided a cure for cancer does not render their expression of critical intelligence intellectually bankrupt.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Lifelinking

#46 Post by Lifelinking » December 27th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Above should have read 'it is simply the expression of critical intelligence applied to one particular set of 'truth claims'..
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

thundril

#47 Post by thundril » December 29th, 2012, 1:46 am

lmbarre wrote:
The inability of atheism to explain anything philosophically shows it to be intellectually bankrupt.
Whereas the ability of theism to explain absolutely everything whatsoever makes it intellectually . . . what?
Solvent?

Lifelinking

#48 Post by Lifelinking » January 2nd, 2013, 3:29 pm

William McIlvanney