INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Justice and the Book of Job in the Bible

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Compassionist

Justice and the Book of Job in the Bible

#1 Post by Compassionist » January 9th, 2016, 10:41 pm

https://jointhebibleproject.com/?video=0-15 is a summary of the Book of Job in the Bible. I was referred to the series of videos on the books and themes of the Bible by a Christian trying to answer my questions about why God doesn't prevent all suffering and injustice. What do you think of the Book of Job in the Bible?

lewist

Re: Justice and the Book of Job in the Bible

#2 Post by lewist » January 10th, 2016, 9:13 am

Job is recognised as a work of literature, well crafted and coherent. However, it is part of christian mythology. It was written with a specific purpose, to tell people to pipe down, because god knows what he is doing and it's too complicated for you guys to understand.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Compassionist

#3 Post by Compassionist » January 10th, 2016, 11:16 am

lewist wrote:Job is recognised as a work of literature, well crafted and coherent. However, it is part of christian mythology. It was written with a specific purpose, to tell people to pipe down, because god knows what he is doing and it's too complicated for you guys to understand.
So it is not a true story? Just a tale made up to illustrate the point that we can't understand God's superior mind and ways?

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » January 11th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Compo
So it is not a true story?
Correct!
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Compassionist

#5 Post by Compassionist » January 12th, 2016, 10:48 am

Alan C. wrote:
Compo
So it is not a true story?
Correct!
I am often accosted by Christians who give me leaflets claiming the inerrancy of the Bible. They insist that Jesus is the fulfillment of prophecies made in the Old Testament. I am very frustrated trying to get them to see all the inaccuracies, contradictions and cruelties in the Bible. They say the issues raised in http://skepticsannotatedbible.com can be explained away but their explanations don't make sense.

Compassionist

#6 Post by Compassionist » January 15th, 2016, 5:49 pm

A Christian said that God not only restored Job's condition before the test but in fact made his condition many times better. I asked what about those who died? What about their condition? The Christian had no answer to that question and said he had never thought about that.