INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Fixing Easter

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Alan H

Fixing Easter

#1 Post by Alan H » January 17th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Easter to be fixed to one date all the time, Archbishop Justin Welby says
The Archbishop has said that he is in discussion with Pope Francis and the Coptic Pope in an attempt to change the date of the holiday
The legal foundation for changing the date of Easter has been in law since the Easter Act of 1928. But for it to be changed, churches need to assent to it — though the law allows the Government to simply decide to fix the date, authorities have deferred to churches since it was passed.

Since the fourth century, the date of Easter has fallen on the first Sunday, after first full moon, after the spring equinox. That means that it can vary hugely from year-to-year, leading to mix-ups, confusion and inconvenience.
It'd be better if they fixed child abuse in the churches they're the heads of.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: Fixing Easter

#2 Post by Dave B » January 17th, 2016, 8:13 pm

mix-ups, confusion and inconvenience.
Normal status of religion I would have thought...
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#3 Post by Alan C. » January 17th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Easter (school holidays) in Scotland are nearly always on a different date to England.
The preachers up here go mad about it :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

jaywhat

#4 Post by jaywhat » January 19th, 2016, 6:50 am

everybody goes mad about all the different dates. Be good to get it sorted into one yearly set up but it could well take rather a long time

lewist

#5 Post by lewist » January 19th, 2016, 7:52 am

In Fife, when I was at school, the Council took no note of the religious thing at all. If Easter didn't fall in the school holidays, well then, you were at school on that Friday and Monday. It was only when I moved elsewhere as an adult that I became aware of the crazy way the spring holiday moved round, year by year.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » January 19th, 2016, 10:05 am

lewist wrote:In Fife, when I was at school, the Council took no note of the religious thing at all. If Easter didn't fall in the school holidays, well then, you were at school on that Friday and Monday. It was only when I moved elsewhere as an adult that I became aware of the crazy way the spring holiday moved round, year by year.
I don't remember that! Mind you, I wouldn't have paid much attention to when Easter was. What schools were you at and when?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

lewist

#7 Post by lewist » February 5th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Alan H wrote:What schools were you at and when?
I was at Wormit Primary School 1953 - 60 and Madras College 1960 - 66.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » February 5th, 2016, 10:09 pm

lewist wrote:
Alan H wrote:What schools were you at and when?
I was at Wormit Primary School 1953 - 60 and Madras College 1960 - 66.
Ah! In Fife, Burntisland Primary School 1963-68, Kirkcaldy High School 1968-74.
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#9 Post by Alan C. » February 13th, 2016, 7:07 pm

lewist wrote:In Fife, when I was at school, the Council took no note of the religious thing at all. If Easter didn't fall in the school holidays, well then, you were at school on that Friday and Monday. It was only when I moved elsewhere as an adult that I became aware of the crazy way the spring holiday moved round, year by year.
It's the same up here Lewis, the Voar (spring holiday) And the Hairst (Autumn Holiday) Are set to meet the needs of the crofters.
Lambing time and harvest time respectively.

It's always amused me that 'Christians' don't question why the date of the 'crusi-fiction' and 'resurrection' are on different dates every year.
Tide comes in, tide goes out, we can't explain that! :laughter:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.