INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

music and spirituality

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
animist

music and spirituality

#1 Post by animist » March 17th, 2018, 5:53 pm

just listening, on the Radio 3 Jazz Lineup programme, to a broadcast featuring Alice Coltrane, a noted jazz harpist, pianist, etc. How I hate the fact that Alice, and FTM husband John, seemed to think that their genuinely moving music had some sort of spiritual significance. Since I guess that most of you have no interest in jazz, I feel the same about talented composers like Beatle George Harrison. Why can we not realise that music which moves us should not motivate us to engage with dumb religions like Hinduism, or whatever. Talented people can be just so stupid

DLH

Re: music and spirituality

#2 Post by DLH » April 25th, 2019, 3:46 am

I can see your point. Having religiosity imposed upon you in an unnecessarily vague or even cryptic fashion? However, I don't think that spirituality is necessarily religious. The Hebrew (ruach) and Greek (pneuma, from which comes the English pneumonia and pneumatic) words translated spirit have the basic meaning of something that is invisible to the human eye, but produces some visible effect. For example, depending upon context they can also be translated as wind, breath, or mental inclination. A mean spirited person or a broken spirit.

So basically, in my estimation at least, religion is a set of beliefs or principles strictly adhered to and spirituality is an exploration of subtle yet powerful influences in each of our lives. Music, art, poetry and things of that nature are spiritual in that sense.