INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Looking for answers to my questions

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Compassionist

Looking for answers to my questions

#1 Post by Compassionist » May 23rd, 2021, 2:02 pm

Thank you for reading my post. I am looking for reliable answers to the following questions:

1. How can we know that anything is true?
2. What is the best method to know something is true?
3. If God is real and good, why didn't God prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths by making all living things equally all-loving, all-knowing and all-powerful?
4. If God is real and good, why is the Bible full of God's atrocities? https://www.evilbible.com/ and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/
5. How do I know that you and all other living things except me are not philosophical zombies? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
6. How do I know solipsism is true or false? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism
7. How do I know that I am or am not living in a simulation? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis
8. How can living things have free will given the determining effects of our genes, environments, nutrients and experiences?
9. Are all of the choices made by living things the inevitable outcome of the unique interactions between their genes, environments, nutrients and experiences?
10. If all our choices are inevitable, then, how can we be responsible for making them?
11. How can it be right to reward or punish an organism for making inevitable choices?
12. If God is all-knowing and all-powerful, does that make God omniculpable?
13. If God is omniculpable, how should God punish God?
14. The Bible claims God predestined our lives https://www.openbible.info/topics/predestination If that is true, then, how is it fair of God to send some to Heaven and some to Hell?
15. Christians believe that humans are immortal souls who go to either Heaven or Hell depending on whether we have accepted Jesus as our Saviour or not. How do we know that we are immortal souls?
16. Are non-human organisms immortal souls also?
17. How do we know which organisms are immortal souls and which are not?
18. According to Hinduism, the world of our sensory perception is an illusion. How can we know if this is true or false?
19. C. S. Lewis claimed in "Mere Christianity" that Jesus is either a liar or a lunatic or the Lord. There is a fourth option - Jesus is a fictional character. How can I prove that Jesus was what the Bible claims?
20. Who wrote each of the books of the Bible?
21. How do we know who wrote each of the books of the Bible?
22. When were each of the books of the Bible written?
23. How do we know when each of the books of the Bible was written?
24. Why does the Catholic Bible differ from the Protestant Bible?
25. According to Jainism, there is no Creator God. Jains believe in not harming sentient beings and are therefore either strict vegetarian or vegan. Jainism is much more peaceful than Christianity. Jains have never colonised and enslaved and mass murdered and mass converted many people the way Christians and Muslims did. How can anyone defend Christianity or Islam to be more ethical than Jainism?
26. I want all living things to exist without consuming anything. As I am not all-powerful, I can't make this happen. Why would a good God create living things that kill and consume other sentient and non-sentient living things?
27. Scientists estimate that 99.9% of all the species to evolve so far on Earth are already extinct. Why didn't God save all these species?
28. Jesus said, "Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." - John 14:12, The Bible (New International Verson). If the Bible is true, then Christians should be resurrecting the dead, turning water to wine, calming storms, healing the sick, etc. Why don't Christians do even greater works than Jesus?
29. Why hasn't Jesus returned yet?
30. Why doesn't God directly communicate with all of us publicly and incontrovertibly? This would prevent all the conflicts between the followers of different denominations and different religions in terms of establishing the existence and nature and wishes of God so I don't understand why God doesn't do it all the time.
31. Hinduism claims that living things are immortal souls that reincarnate based on karma earned through actions and inactions in a past life. How do I know if this is true or false?
32. Do non-human sentient organisms go to Heaven or Hell?
33. Do non-human non-sentient organisms go to Heaven or Hell?
34. What determines who goes to Heaven or Hell?
35. How do we know that Heaven and Hell exist?
36. How can I trust the Bible given all the inaccuracies and contradictions?

Compassionist

Re: Looking for answers to my questions

#2 Post by Compassionist » May 23rd, 2021, 4:06 pm

37. Different countries have different laws. How do I know which laws are ethical and which are unethical?
38. How do I know what is morally right and what is morally wrong?

Gnostic Bishop

#3 Post by Gnostic Bishop » December 4th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Compassionist wrote:
May 23rd, 2021, 4:06 pm
37. Different countries have different laws. How do I know which laws are ethical and which are unethical?
What standard of morality do you begin with?

Most begin with some kind of reciprocity rule for the personal, and a good for the many instead of the few for the masses.

Given that moral issues are subjective and not objective, you would have to choose an actual concept to argue if you want to see the logical steps for it.

Fun fact, better than 95% of us seem to share the same moral values.

Strange how we cannot get along.

Regards
DL

Compassionist

#4 Post by Compassionist » June 4th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
December 4th, 2021, 4:20 pm
Compassionist wrote:

Most begin with some kind of reciprocity rule for the personal, and a good for the many instead of the few for the masses.

Given that moral issues are subjective and not objective, you would have to choose an actual concept to argue if you want to see the logical steps for it.

Regards
DL
I am a vegan egalitarian.

Gnostic Bishop

#5 Post by Gnostic Bishop » July 6th, 2022, 3:24 pm

Compassionist wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 6:05 pm
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Compassionist wrote:

Regards
DL
e·gal·i·tar·i·an

relating to or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.

As a universalist, I like equality of opportunity, but as a Gnostic man I cannot give full equality t women and children as that would lower them to my level.

I prefer and live by the law of the sea, and put women and children first and above me.

I do get laughed at for my stance.

Regards
DL

Compassionist

#6 Post by Compassionist » July 6th, 2022, 8:35 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 6th, 2022, 3:24 pm
Compassionist wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Regards
DL
e·gal·i·tar·i·an

relating to or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.

As a universalist, I like equality of opportunity, but as a Gnostic man I cannot give full equality t women and children as that would lower them to my level.

I prefer and live by the law of the sea, and put women and children first and above me.

Regards
DL
On what basis are you a Gnostic man? I am agnostic about the existence of all the gods.

Compassionist

#7 Post by Compassionist » July 7th, 2022, 9:35 pm

How can we know what is real, and what is not real? Epistemology is a conundrum because there are lots of hypotheses that can't be tested e.g. Simulation Hypothesis (the perceived world is simulated), Illusion Hypothesis (our perceptions are illusions), Philosophical Zombie Hypothesis (beings that appear sentient are not actually sentient), Gods Hypothesis (Gods exist and are all-knowing and all-powerful), Karma Hypothesis (sentient beings are rewarded and punished according to their Karma), Reincarnation Hypothesis (immortal souls exist and reincarnate in different bodies), Resurrection Hypothesis (immortal souls exist and are resurrected after death), Heaven and Hell Hypothesis (Heaven and Hell exist and immortal souls go there depending on their beliefs and/or actions), Undetectable Beings Hypothesis (beings that can't be detected exist e.g. angels, demons, aliens, time-travellers, ghosts, fairies, leprechauns), etc. How can we know what is true and what is false? Please see https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... at-is-real

Gnostic Bishop

#8 Post by Gnostic Bishop » July 12th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Compassionist wrote:
July 6th, 2022, 8:35 pm
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 6th, 2022, 3:24 pm
Compassionist wrote:

e·gal·i·tar·i·an

Regards
DL
On what basis are you a Gnostic man? I am agnostic about the existence of all the gods.
Not just a Gnostic. A Gnostic Christian.

I am also agnostic of all the gods and bad mouth the evil Christian god, except for the only God I can ever know.

Modern Gnostic Christians name our god "I am", and yes, we do mean ourselves.

You are your controller. I am mine. You represent and present whatever mind picture you have of your God or ideal human, and so do I.

The name "I Am" you might see as meaning something like, --- I think I have grown up thanks to having forced my apotheosis through Gnosis and meditation and “I am”, represents the best rules and laws that we have found to live by.

In Gnostic Christianity, we follow the Christian tradition that Christians have forgotten that they are to do. That is, become brethren to Jesus.

That is why some say that the only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian.

Here is the real way to salvation that Jesus taught.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts explain those quotes in detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw

Joseph Campbell shows the same esoteric ecumenist idea in this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGx4IlppSgU

The bible just plainly says to put away the things of children. The supernatural and literal reading of myths.

Gnosis enlightens adults.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop

#9 Post by Gnostic Bishop » July 12th, 2022, 4:36 pm

Compassionist wrote:
July 7th, 2022, 9:35 pm
How can we know what is real, and what is not real? Epistemology is a conundrum because there are lots of hypotheses that can't be tested e.g. Simulation Hypothesis (the perceived world is simulated), Illusion Hypothesis (our perceptions are illusions), Philosophical Zombie Hypothesis (beings that appear sentient are not actually sentient), Gods Hypothesis (Gods exist and are all-knowing and all-powerful), Karma Hypothesis (sentient beings are rewarded and punished according to their Karma), Reincarnation Hypothesis (immortal souls exist and reincarnate in different bodies), Resurrection Hypothesis (immortal souls exist and are resurrected after death), Heaven and Hell Hypothesis (Heaven and Hell exist and immortal souls go there depending on their beliefs and/or actions), Undetectable Beings Hypothesis (beings that can't be detected exist e.g. angels, demons, aliens, time-travellers, ghosts, fairies, leprechauns), etc. How can we know what is true and what is false? Please see https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... at-is-real
As some say, reality is a collective hunch.

We all have our own view of reality, and I look from a moral view, and know to condemn the modern homophobic and misogynous religions that adore a genocidal prick of a God.

Regards
DL

Compassionist

#10 Post by Compassionist » July 13th, 2022, 1:11 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 12th, 2022, 4:36 pm
Compassionist wrote:
July 7th, 2022, 9:35 pm
As some say, reality is a collective hunch.

We all have our own view of reality, and I look from a moral view, and know to condemn the modern homophobic and misogynous religions that adore a genocidal prick of a God.

Regards
DL
I agree with you about how evil the Biblical God is. Please see: https://www.evilbible.com and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com