INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

If you go down to the woods today.....

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
clayto

Teddy Bears

#21 Post by clayto » December 1st, 2007, 6:58 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

But what about the non-theistic secular Teddy Bears ---- don't they have a right NOT to be called M or J or whatever? Should I start a HVG campaign on their behalf?

Chris
clayto

Alan C.

#22 Post by Alan C. » December 1st, 2007, 7:31 pm

Considering that the original "teddy bear" was named after Theodore Roosevelt, and I think Theodore in the Greek means "gift of god" or something like that (Maria?) I can't see why they had a problem with it.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

clayto

teddy bears

#23 Post by clayto » December 2nd, 2007, 11:53 am

But thet did not know that, and probably would not care if they did. Would any of the objectors change their view if they did know, or would that be too much of a rational rsponse? I do fel sorry for the more sensible Muslims having to put up with this.

Chris
clayto

clayto

teddies

#24 Post by clayto » December 2nd, 2007, 11:57 am

Sorry about my keyboard errors --- I am trying to drink a cup of coffee, watch TV and 'type' at the same time.

Chris
clayto

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#25 Post by Maria Mac » December 2nd, 2007, 12:31 pm

Chris

For two hours after you have posted, you can edit your post by using the edit button in the top right hand corner of your post.

Alan C. wrote: I think Theodore in the Greek means "gift of god" or something like that (Maria?) I
Correct. I have a Greek nephew called Theodoros - horrible isn't it? But while Theodore seems stuffy and old-fashioned here, over there it's perfectly normal.

squiffy

#26 Post by squiffy » December 2nd, 2007, 12:46 pm

Shamelessly pinched from a friend on another forum,

Sources report that the British Government fears a knock-on effect arising from recent events in the Sudan.

Crowds were gathering last night in Paddington (London) in protest at the naming of a teddy-bear after their district. A spokesperson said - ‘This is an insult to the people of Paddington. It is well known that this creature is a migrant, probably an asylum seeker, from somewhere in South America, addicted to the consumption of a diet of marmalade, in defiance of Health and Safety guidelines. We are determined to have him sent back to where he came from.’

The Metropolitan Police denied reports that the bear was under police protection for his own safety.

News International reports from Gladly, (Vermont), that the Secretary of the local Gun Club has denied that any bear had ever been named after their town. Homer K Popping (37) insisted ‘There was once was a cross-eyed bear in the vicinity, but we did not name him after the town. We shot him.’

A representative of the Winnie the Pooh Foundation denied that the well-known bear was a trans-sexual. He said, ‘His real name is “Winnie ther Pooh”, and everybody knows what “ther” means.’ And in an undertone ‘Ignorant clod.’

clayto

Teddy bear

#27 Post by clayto » December 2nd, 2007, 6:50 pm

"For two hours after you have posted, you can edit your post by using the edit button in the top right hand corner of your post. "
I had forgotten about that. I must give it a try.

On a serious note I came across this: "the Christian-founded Unity High School which educates Muslims and Christians side by side." Might this be an explanation of what is going on? Have some local Muslims been objecting to the school for some time, seeing it as a deliberate attempt to convert children from Islam to Christianity? How might some Christians react in this country to the setting up of Muslim schools which set out to recruit Christian children with the intention of influencing them towards Islam? I remember CofE and RC Archbishops on TV saying they welcome Muslim children to their 'faith not sectarian' schools and treat them with respect but when the interviewer asked what they thought about Christian children being recruited to Muslim schools they both responded 'Oh, I am not so sure about that!"

Chris
clayto

Bryn

#28 Post by Bryn » December 4th, 2007, 8:48 am

Good to see Gillian Gibbon back home, safe and sound.

:happyclappy:

Nick

#29 Post by Nick » December 4th, 2007, 11:28 am

Yes, indeed. And now its OK to send gratuitously offensive letters to the Sudanese Embassy :angry:

Alan H

#30 Post by Alan H » December 4th, 2007, 1:07 pm

I heard that the only reason Baroness Warsi was asked to go to Sudan was because Gillian would only be handed over to another woman.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#31 Post by Maria Mac » December 4th, 2007, 1:59 pm

The poor woman was only allowed to leave Sudan with the bear necessities.....

I don't know how she can bear all the press attention....

etc etc

:exit:

Alan C.

#32 Post by Alan C. » December 4th, 2007, 8:35 pm

Stuck for a Christmas present for the bairns? get your teddies here.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

I Am That I Am

#33 Post by I Am That I Am » December 7th, 2007, 1:56 am

I knew that there would be a response from Pat Condell on Youtube before long. Well, I just spotted this one; it was posted about 3 days ago. Good old Pat always has his finger on the pulse and doesn't like to mince his words.
AKA Mick

Zoe

#34 Post by Zoe » December 7th, 2007, 11:00 am

Yes, it's good to hear someone else articulate what so many of us are thinking but are too polite to say.

:grin:

jaywhat

#35 Post by jaywhat » December 13th, 2007, 9:37 am

Quote from step-son in Oz

I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the princely sum of $10.
I named him Mohammed.
This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30.
My question is, 'Have I made a prophet?'

Just a joke!

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#36 Post by Maria Mac » December 13th, 2007, 9:53 am

I told that joke myself several days ago in the comedy club. I thought it up myself and thought I was being really original.

:sad:

Beki

#37 Post by Beki » December 13th, 2007, 11:24 pm

OK I admit to being a total saddo and buying a cute wee Mohammed Teddy Bear for my bloke's Xmas. Thanks for the tip Alan C!

IATIA - really liked the youtube link. I will look out for this guy again - he talks a lot of sense!

jaywhat

#38 Post by jaywhat » December 14th, 2007, 6:34 am

Sorry about that, Maria. I told it to my computer man yesterday and he had already heard it.

Plus ça change............

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#39 Post by Maria Mac » December 14th, 2007, 9:59 am

You have your own computer man?

I'm impressed.

Alan H

#40 Post by Alan H » December 14th, 2007, 8:46 pm

I've got two computers, man.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?