INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

But is it art?

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Maria Mac
Site Admin

But is it art?

#1 Post by Maria Mac » January 8th, 2008, 10:59 pm

I love this game of Human Tetris so I thought I'd share it and there human space invaders and other games to enjoy too. Is it not imaginative, creative and engaging?

Jaybird

Re: But is it art?

#2 Post by Jaybird » January 9th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Awesome! Yes it is art. Definitely more than 'a contestant's experience in Big Brother' is art. In case you don't know what I'm talking about there is a conceptual artist in the BB House at the moment who actually said something like this.

Generally I like conceptual art - one of my favourite events of the year is the Turner prize.

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » January 10th, 2008, 11:56 pm

This is art. There are several of these on YouTube - just search for "human art".
Last edited by Maria Mac on May 9th, 2008, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to change url, which was out of date.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Jem

#4 Post by Jem » January 11th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Also awesome!

Firebrand

#5 Post by Firebrand » January 15th, 2008, 10:54 am

The human art, including the tetris game, is great.

But is this art?

To me, it looks like something that just happened rather than something that took creative imagination and effort to achieve.

Bryn

#6 Post by Bryn » January 15th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Firebrand wrote:The human art, including the tetris game, is great.

But is this art?

To me, it looks like something that just happened rather than something that took creative imagination and effort to achieve.
Well, that depends on how you define art and what you think its function is. One of the things that differentiates us from the rest of the animal kingdom is our ability to produce and be moved by art. It calms, it provokes, it disgusts, it inspires. In a nutshell, it makes us feel and it makes us think. And that's certainly what Tracey's bed does.

Does creativity always imply deliberation in the sense of pre-planning? Can't something made by a human without aforethought engage the senses and provoke the emotions? Of course it can! A lot of what we create - both intentionally and unintentionally - provokes disgust or horror. Take war, for example. I don't imagine a squaddie beating the crap out of someone in a country he's been sent to would be nominated for an arts prize. A film documenting the incident could be though.

Who is the artist in such a case? The squaddie? The camera operator? The producer of the final documentary? The person whose idea it was to turn it was to make a documentary out of clips of film?

Tracey's bed told the story of what happened when she had a nervous breakdown. In this piece she is both the subject and the maker of the documentary.

This particular piece happens to be one of my favourites to use with students to demonstrate how the impact of art changes depending on context i.e. how differently one can feel about the same piece depending on where one sees it. Imagine entering this room by mistake when looking for the bathroom when you're a guest in someone's otherwise immaculate home. Imagine being shown round this house as a prospective buyer and seeing that every room is as bad as this. Imagine seeing it as part of the audience at an art gallery etc.

DougS

#7 Post by DougS » January 17th, 2008, 11:03 pm

Thanks, Bryn. Food for thought.

Talking of food...how arty is this representation of the Last Supper using balloon sculptures?

Source.
Balloon twisters from around the world come together each summer at the FCM convention to learn from each other on how better to use balloons to teach Gods word.
:pointlaugh:

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » January 17th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#9 Post by Maria Mac » May 8th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Firebrand

#10 Post by Firebrand » May 9th, 2008, 11:51 am

Yes, it's art. But is it good art?

Lifelinking

#11 Post by Lifelinking » May 9th, 2008, 8:47 pm

It is certainly not naturalism. In that cold weather the 'extremities' would definitely have shrunk.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Val

#12 Post by Val » May 10th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Lifelinking wrote:It is certainly not naturalism. In that cold weather the 'extremities' would definitely have shrunk.
How do you know that they havn't shrunk?

Lifelinking

#13 Post by Lifelinking » May 10th, 2008, 10:21 pm

:laughter:
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan H

But is it music?

#14 Post by Alan H » June 15th, 2008, 1:04 pm

In today's Sunday Herald and on YouTube. It takes a bit to get going, but worth the wait!
Alan Henness

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » February 22nd, 2009, 12:39 pm

Got this from Donald on the Brights group:

Billiards and Dominoes
Alan Henness

Nick

#16 Post by Nick » February 23rd, 2009, 12:17 am

Whenever I watch snooker, they seem preoccupied by invisible flecks of dust. How does he tolerate all that crud on the table..... :)

Aphra

#17 Post by Aphra » February 23rd, 2009, 12:48 am

I'll tell you a story...

As an art student (a long time ago) I was invited to the private view of an exhibition by some hot new conceptual artist with a group of my fellow students. Not having eaten much that day, I got pissed quite fast after two or three glasses of the plonk they were handing out. We were in a fairly bare gallery, with not much on the walls. "Well," I asked, rather loudly, "where is this art then?" "You're standing on it," one of my mates hissed. "It" was a small pile of sand - a sort of flat sandcastle - with a length of rope with a knot in it hanging from the ceiling above. I sidled off, leaving the artist to wonder why his or her visual statement had footprints all over it.

Never did understand why anyone would pay good money for a pile of sand or a pile of bricks.

Can I sell you a painting?

Alan H

#18 Post by Alan H » June 7th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Theseare phenomenal!
Alan Henness

Nirvanam

#19 Post by Nirvanam » June 7th, 2009, 11:56 pm

DougS wrote:Thanks, Bryn. Food for thought.

Talking of food...how arty is this representation of the Last Supper using balloon sculptures?

Source.
Balloon twisters from around the world come together each summer at the FCM convention to learn from each other on how better to use balloons to teach Gods word.
Alan H wrote:I can beat that...The Last Supper made from 20,736 spools of thread.

Any more?
Awwww, come on guys...art is art immaterial of what it is trying to depict...just look at it for the creativity of the individual forget the source and/or output of his inspiration

Lifelinking

#20 Post by Lifelinking » June 8th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Aaaaarght

Of course this be religious aaaaarght, praise be to his noodly appendages
William McIlvanney