INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Music

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Nick

Re: Music

#301 Post by Nick » August 15th, 2013, 11:04 am

Latest post of the previous page:

animist wrote:
Nick wrote: Spent last night singing sea shanties with a bunch of other grey fat bearded old men
so a prerequisite for joining in is having yer beard contain grey fat? Greyt!
That would be the camp-site's full-english breakfast.... :D

lewist

#302 Post by lewist » August 15th, 2013, 11:19 am

Could this (or something like it) be a TH meetup next year?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

animist

#303 Post by animist » August 15th, 2013, 1:47 pm

lewist wrote:Could this (or something like it) be a TH meetup next year?
good idea!

Nick

#304 Post by Nick » August 16th, 2013, 2:47 pm

No, it's a great idea!!! :happyclappy:

Just a quick news item before I go back to the music:

I have just been listening to a great duo called Porch Swing Blues. Really gentle and really laid back. I was having a great time, and said to the lady next to me, "Isn't this great! They are such great musicians!"

And she replied:
Spoiler:
"That's just as well, he's my husband!" :laughter:

Tetenterre

#305 Post by Tetenterre » August 16th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Really great idea!
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan C.

#306 Post by Alan C. » August 16th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Nick wrote:No, it's a great idea!!! :happyclappy:

Just a quick news item before I go back to the music:

I have just been listening to a great duo called Porch Swing Blues. Really gentle and really laid back. I was having a great time, and said to the lady next to me, "Isn't this great! They are such great musicians!"

And she replied:
Spoiler:
"That's just as well, he's my husband!" :laughter:
You need a new chat up line Nick :wink:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Nick

#307 Post by Nick » August 17th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Very probably, Alan. I'm feel I'm a bit like an accountant:
Spoiler:
He knows 50 ways of making love, but doesn't know any girls....

lewist

#308 Post by lewist » September 22nd, 2013, 8:54 am

The choir is annoying me just now. We started back in August and I found we were being issued Christmas stuff. WTF? It's a Community choir and whereas we will do some religious stuff to start it in August was just a bit much. I protested by email and in the end, on the basis that there would be novelty items like Rudolph and the like, I decided to continue. Also, we are doing a concert in early December and there is an assumption that it has to be Xmas carols and so on.

Yes, some of the Xmas music is quite sweet but I object to giving credence to the nonsense that surrounds it.

So here, in honour of one of the origins of the Xtian celebrations, is Io Saturnalia.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

animist

#309 Post by animist » September 24th, 2013, 6:03 pm

does anyone know whether upright basses do actually play lower notes than bass guitars, whose necks are quite a lot shorter?

Nick

#310 Post by Nick » November 18th, 2013, 4:20 pm

It seems that no-one does, Animist.....

Nick

#311 Post by Nick » November 18th, 2013, 4:35 pm

I just want to note the sad passing of a musical friend of mine, Trevor Stephenson, who finally succumbed to cancer on 4th November. I last saw him, playing with his band Happy Trails, at the Broadstairs Folk Week in the summer.

In the best humanist tradition (though I never discussed such things with him), his non-religious funeral is announced thus:
Trevor has set off on his next trail. Celebrations begin on 22nd November 2013 at 4pm Barham Crematorium
I would like to pay tribute to him, his dry sense of humour, and the pleasure his music have given me and many, many others over the years.

There is a clip of them playing at the Man of Kent.I am in the background. Don't know why I look so miserable though! And their website is here.

He will be much missed.

Sel

#312 Post by Sel » November 19th, 2013, 1:45 am

At Bow Valley Music Club on Saturday, the first guests were the group "Ennis" from Newfoundland. Their performance was so good that I did not stay for the next group. The next group was expected to be great; but, I did not want to lose that awesome feeling generated by these magical voices. Attached is a link to them performing what was their first number on Saturday night. This performance seems to be in a small art gallery. I hope you can open the site. The song you want is "Hard Times" performed by Ennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFoJb4pKx8E
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

animist

#313 Post by animist » November 19th, 2013, 7:56 am

Nick wrote:I just want to note the sad passing of a musical friend of mine, Trevor Stephenson, who finally succumbed to cancer on 4th November. I last saw him, playing with his band Happy Trails, at the Broadstairs Folk Week in the summer.

In the best humanist tradition (though I never discussed such things with him), his non-religious funeral is announced thus:
Trevor has set off on his next trail. Celebrations begin on 22nd November 2013 at 4pm Barham Crematorium
I would like to pay tribute to him, his dry sense of humour, and the pleasure his music have given me and many, many others over the years.

There is a clip of them playing at the Man of Kent.I am in the background. Don't know why I look so miserable though! And their website is here.

He will be much missed.
sorry to hear about your loss, Nick, and what a nice thought about his next trail :)

Sel

#314 Post by Sel » November 19th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Nick, I have finally found a few minutes to listen to your friend's music and quite enjoyed it. You will, no doubt, miss him. These losses create holes in our lives that are difficult to fill again.
Take care.
Sel
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

getreal

#315 Post by getreal » November 19th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Sel wrote:At Bow Valley Music Club on Saturday, the first guests were the group "Ennis" from Newfoundland. Their performance was so good that I did not stay for the next group. The next group was expected to be great; but, I did not want to lose that awesome feeling generated by these magical voices. Attached is a link to them performing what was their first number on Saturday night. This performance seems to be in a small art gallery. I hope you can open the site. The song you want is "Hard Times" performed by Ennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFoJb4pKx8E
that was lovely, Sel. I really enjoyed it!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#316 Post by Maria Mac » December 4th, 2013, 12:49 pm

In spite of the song, I love watching this kid get into it.
'10 Year Old Girl Drummer. Like a Pro!' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAhV8K-v3A#t=94

Dave B

#317 Post by Dave B » December 4th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Blimey, I feel quite tired after that!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

animist

#318 Post by animist » December 5th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Nick wrote:It seems that no-one does, Animist.....
maybe there is no question. Recently I scrutinised a double bass, and of course almost the bottom foot of it is just a prong to rest it on. If one ignores the bulkiness of the instrument (the cavity needed for the acoustic resonance?), then maybe it would be possible to hold it up like a bass guitar after all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJm4HM0or14

animist

#319 Post by animist » December 5th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Athena wrote:In spite of the song, I love watching this kid get into it.
'10 Year Old Girl Drummer. Like a Pro!' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAhV8K-v3A#t=94
pretty good, but it was a simple rock rhythm. Years ago, long before YouTube, I remember seeing a TV film of a four-year-old black American boy doing a drum solo which seemed to compare in quality to one by a leading jazz drummer of the time, Joe Morello (who played with Dave Brubeck)

Nick

#320 Post by Nick » February 12th, 2014, 5:16 pm

A great evening at the folk club at The Good Intent. Fabulous renditions of Why Worry, which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and Sweet Rose of Allendale with a belter of a chorus for everyone to sing. :D

In Why Worry, are the lyrics "There should be sunshine after rain...."

Let's hope so!

Alan H

#321 Post by Alan H » March 13th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Haunting and quite captivating: the sound of Wikipedia being edited

It doesn't seem to work in Chrome, but does in Firefox.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?