INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Your favourite book

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
getreal

Re: Your favourite book

#21 Post by getreal » November 18th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Since we are including childhood,..

My favourite was far and away, the Malory Towers books by Enid Blyton. How I wished I went to that school! A swimming pool fashioned out of the coastal rocks, replenished twice a day from the seawater. What's not to like?

I, too, read the Female Eunuch and was blown away by it. I must have been 14 or 15ish as well.

I also love Muriel Spark, though I find some of her short stories perplexing. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is definatly in my top 3 books of all time.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#22 Post by Dave B » November 18th, 2014, 10:02 pm

A swimming pool fashioned out of the coastal rocks, replenished twice a day from the seawater. What's not to like?
Crabs and stinging jellyfish, getreal?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

lewist

#23 Post by lewist » November 18th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Dave B wrote:
A swimming pool fashioned out of the coastal rocks, replenished twice a day from the seawater. What's not to like?
Crabs and stinging jellyfish, getreal?
There were several of those in StAndrews. In fact, the Step Rock public swimming pool was like that but with the aid of some concrete walls. I learned to swim in it. The crabs and jellyfish were probably less concerning than the sewage outlets which ended somewhere below the low water mark.

Anyway, I have just finished the second of Ninny's mysteries, another good read. Thank you, Ms Boyd! I just reviewed it on Amazon. :)
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Ninny

#24 Post by Ninny » November 19th, 2014, 7:44 am

Thanks, Alan; it is indeed a fantastic website! Couldn't have done it without you (couldn't have done it at all!) :smile:

Alan H

#25 Post by Alan H » January 31st, 2015, 8:11 pm

As good a place as any to list some book shops that aren't owned by tax-dodging amazon: The quest for online independent bookshops information
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Fortitude

#26 Post by Fortitude » February 2nd, 2015, 9:57 pm

I wouldn't know where to begin there are simply to many, based on how I feel at the moment?

The Tao of Pooh remains a firm top in Philosophy.
Perhaps the Deed of Pakesenarion in fantasy.
And Pandoras Star/Judas Unchained in Sci-Fi.
Insightful and slightly pretentious inspirational quote.
~Famous Individual, probably an Author as well~

Alan H

#27 Post by Alan H » February 5th, 2015, 11:55 am

I've not read it, but this might be interesting to some here, particularly Ninny:
Sophia: Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary by Anita Anand

It’s general election year in the UK and figures are currently circulating about the proportion of women expected to vote. There’s no better time then to read a book about the fight for female suffrage. Introducing Anita Anand and her book Sophia: Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary. The BBC journalist’s hotly anticipated literary debut looks at the life of Sophia Duleep Singh, a dispossessed Indian princess who joined the battle for female suffrage in the UK. With meticulous research and a broader context of the fall of the British Empire, this is the perfect start to 2015.
Anita was writing this when her husband, Simon Singh, was researching his last book, The Simpsons and their Mathematical Secrets. He tells the story that Anita was burying herself in books and papers while he was researching his book...lying on the couch watching episodes of The Simpsons!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?