INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Old Favorites Revisited

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
getreal

Old Favorites Revisited

#1 Post by getreal » December 15th, 2014, 12:26 pm

I've taken to reading music bios of late and have just finnished one on Keith Moon. I had no idea he was so extreme!

I don't know if it's me getting old, or just a sign of the times, but is found myself feeling disgusted at some of the hotel trashing the Who were responsible for.

I also had forgotten how good the music was and I've reconnected with some of my favorites. It's taken me right back to schooldays when you would take your favorite albums to school to share around with your friends. Generally I was a right music snob and liked to keep the likes of The Yes Album on the outside for others to see. The more obscure a band you had, the cooler you were.

The Who weren't very cool at my school- or at home. My older brother used to sneer at some of my music choices. But having a very music savvy big brother who was into all sorts of avant guard music made me seem much cooler at school!

Anyone got some music remincances from their younger days?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Altfish

Re: Old Favorites Revisited

#2 Post by Altfish » December 24th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Where to start!

Firstly, I saw The Who with Keith Moon quite a few times in both Manchester and Newcastle. I always think of Keith Moon in the same breath as Oliver Reed, didn't they drive a Rolls Royce into a swimming pool once - or is that an urban myth.

I was a big fan of US music, mainly West Coast Rock; Jefferson Airplane, Love (If you haven't heard their Forever Changes album your life isn't complete) and Grateful Dead in particular but also Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

I saw Yes on their tour for Fragile (the album after The Yes Album) in Manchester, I think at the Odeon, but that could be wrong. Also Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and a few other of the British prog rock bands, but it started getting boring with Emerson Lake & Palmer.
Roxy Music and Cockney Rebel, Captain Beefheart and Krautrock (Can, Kraftwerk) followed but I was still looking for something else and it came in style with The Sex Pistols.

I loved punk and what followed... The Clash, The Undertones, The Buzzcocks ... then Magazine, Joy Division, P J Harvey, Throwing Muses and the best of them all The Fall (I have over 100 albums of theirs and about 400 bootleg recordings)

Music is still essential in my life as I fast approach 60-years old. My wife and I have tickets for First Aid Kit in January and Public Service Broadcasting in April, we saw Cate le Bon a couple of months back and love live music.

As I type this I have The Fall playing on my stereo.

Altfish

#3 Post by Altfish » December 25th, 2014, 9:16 am

I forgot the Velvet Underground
:thumbsup:

Ken H

#4 Post by Ken H » December 26th, 2014, 3:28 am

Saw the BeeGees in Tampa when they came out with their Main Course album and the disco sound.

More recently (10 years?) caught Acoustic Alchemy at the Tampa Theatre, a long-standing group out of London which, apparently, no one in England seems to have heard of.

Yes, I like Yes.

I'm more apt to listen to Classical music or Jazz than what goes for popular music nowadays.

Getreal, have you heard Philip Glass's Low Symphony for Orchestra, based on David Bowie's Low album? It's a bit strange, but rather alluring with its throbbing beat.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » December 26th, 2014, 10:37 am

Ken H wrote:More recently (10 years?) caught Acoustic Alchemy at the Tampa Theatre, a long-standing group out of London which, apparently, no one in England seems to have heard of.
I can confirm that. But currently listening to them on youtube...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » December 26th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Ken,Myers I have heard Philip.Glass' Low Symphony. I believe he also did one based on "Heroes".

Currently I'm reading Pete Townsends autobiography. He's quite a complex character and he's had a very interesting life. I think it's interesting that the two remaining Who members are the ones who didn't do the whole sex/drugs thing to excess. In fact it appears Roger Daltry was drug free and found the others drug use very difficult to cope with. He did drink a lot though.

I wish I had learned an instrument when I was younger.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Tetenterre

#7 Post by Tetenterre » December 27th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Also a fan of The Who (probably saw them live more than any other band in the 70s). Was & still am very much into John Mayall (who I saw again, aged 80!, a few weeks ago), Johnny Winter, Fairport, Bad Company (got to the UK to late to see Free), Traffic.

Altfish wrote: I was a big fan of US music, mainly West Coast Rock; Jefferson Airplane, Love (If you haven't heard their Forever Changes album your life isn't complete) and Grateful Dead in particular but also Crosby Stills Nash and Young.
Yes to all those, and absolutely concur about Forever Changes. Workingman's Dead is still an oft-play'd album here. Also Janis Joplin/Big Brother, Hendrix, Charlie Daniels, The Outlaws, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Canned Heat...
but it started getting boring with Emerson Lake & Palmer.
Known as Cumbersome, Fake & Trauma in this household. Not a fan of prog; pretentious crap. Appreciated punk when it came out. Still listen to Patti Smith regularly.
Public Service Broadcasting
Saw them briefly at the Larmer Tree & heard them in the distance at Camp Bestival last summer; not my cuppa. My modern "faves" include Richard Thompson, Imelda May, Manu Chao, Sergent Garcia, Hunter & the Bear, Coco & the Butterfields.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Ken H

#8 Post by Ken H » December 27th, 2014, 3:36 pm

getreal wrote:I wish I had learned an instrument when I was younger.
You're never too old. If you are like me though, I would avoid the wind instruments!

My mom's second husband was a professional piano player in his younger days. He played old favorites and added a lot of flourishes to jazz them up a bit. Perhaps that's why I like Erroll Gardner so much. I wish I would have learned the piano when I had the chance.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

getreal

#9 Post by getreal » December 27th, 2014, 7:13 pm

I'd like to learn to play the drums.

I'd like to be the best Scottish granny who plays like Keith Moon.

I wonder how much a cheap drum kit costs?

.....and a few cherry bombs.

Ken H

#10 Post by Ken H » December 27th, 2014, 11:32 pm

getreal wrote:I wonder how much a cheap drum kit costs?
Next to nothing if you use buckets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJdzYY_Fas