INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Game of Thrones

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
getreal

Game of Thrones

#1 Post by getreal » June 18th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Does anyone else watch this? I managed to avoid it till earlier this year, though my husband was an addict. I really don't like fantasy stuff or scifi, so I assumed this would be a non starter. But I was persuaded to watch the first episode of the first series and, 5 series later, my name is Getreal, I am a Game of Thrones-aholic. :)

The final episode in series five was shown on Monday night on UK TV and Sunday in the U.S. And we'll have to wait another year to see what happens.

It very much reminds me of I Claudius, with Tyrion Lannister as a rather bawdy Claudius. It has the most complex plot lines, with characters popping in and out all over the place. It's like a huge complex jigsaw with key pieces missing and trying to fit it together is really fun.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Tetenterre

Re: Game of Thrones

#2 Post by Tetenterre » June 19th, 2015, 11:18 am

I have watched the first two series. Well-constructed escapist entertainment!
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

getreal

#3 Post by getreal » June 19th, 2015, 11:32 am

You can see so many pararells- the wars between Scotland and England, the wars in Europe and the eternal Balkan wars.

In later series they feather religious fanaticism and government utilising it to achieve their ends- reminds me of the history of the House of Saud.

It's thought provoking stuff.

I don't like violence on screen, but somehow, I manage with this. There is a LOT of bloody violence- Tarentino better watch his back.

There is an awful lot of gratuitous sex in the first two series, this lessens and is very sparse as the series go on.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Tetenterre

#4 Post by Tetenterre » June 19th, 2015, 12:39 pm

getreal wrote:You can see so many pararells-
I was thinking more Wars of the Roses, but I guess most conflicts have parallels.
There is an awful lot of gratuitous sex in the first two series, this lessens and is very sparse as the series go on.
Oh :boohoo: . I won't bother with those, then.
:redface: :exit:

(Actually, I think I read somewhere that, with the success of the earlier series, many of the women actors had a bit more leverage and demanded not to have to portray gratuitous nudity/sex.)
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

getreal

#5 Post by getreal » June 19th, 2015, 7:01 pm

There are some very strong female characters,methought there has been some critisism of the use and threat of sexual violence to the extent of making most of the female characters victims. I think this is especially evident in the attempted rape of Brienne Who is supposed to be a warrior who is stronger than most men and the equal of other Knights.

Do you have a favorite character?

Tetenterre

#6 Post by Tetenterre » June 20th, 2015, 1:12 pm

In S1 it was Arya Stark; disappointed that not more was made of the character in S2.

Have you?
Steve

getreal

#7 Post by getreal » June 20th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Keep watching, Tetenterre!

I like Tyrion. He has such charm, is bright and witty, but with a chunk of self destructiveness.

I've just read online that they will be shooting some of it in Macedonia for season 6. Maybe I'll apply to be an extra.